Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA – Hex Keys – this seemed like a good deal to me
  • honourablegeorge

£9.95 for a 10 piece set of P-handled Hex keys with stand.

Mine just arrived, they’re heavy and solid, made of chrome vanadium steel, and are about a quarter of the price of their Park equivalents. Stand has slots so it will bolt neatly onto my workbench, and they are “Guaranteed Forever” according to the packaging, you register the guarantee online.

Silverline are tool sponsors for the Athertons now too, if that’s the sort of thing that matters.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Could have got them for £8 by doing as Amazon says and going for an alternative seller 🙁

paulwf

Anything silverline that I have tried has been rubbish

Northwind

Silverline are very variable but some of their stuff is good. That’s a very good copy of an ancient Draper Expert set I have (the originals have ball ends on the long end) which are excellent. No idea what that means for actual performance of these ones but it’s a good place to start.

chrisdw
    Free Member

They’re not that great. The non ball ends are very annoying.

lunge

Those Wera ones looks very nice, I have this Bahco, they are very nice too

bencooper
    Free Member

Apart from the colour, they’re absolutely identical to the old Pedros set I have.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Looked at these yesterday,the mounting slots on the base kicked-in my OCD,as I figured (wrongly,no doubt),that they are a bench mount and Park set will fit a toolboard…..? 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Apart from the colour and the price, they’re absolutely identical to the old Pedros set I have.

FTFY 😉

Pedros stuff is nice, but Park-esque pricing!

wwaswas

cliffyc – the idea is that you fit the base to a wall board and the tools are laying down horizontally – it means you don;’t have to have clearance above to lift the tools out they just slide out towards you.

Andy-R

Well I’ve just ordered a set – for £8 you can’t go wrong (I hope…).

robdob
    Free Member

My dad is an engineer and when I was in my teens he got me some Allen keys from his work in the bike sizes I needed.

That was 25 years ago. I still use those Allen keys (the ones I have left anyway, lost some!), they have outlasted every single other one I’ve had since, as ive had the temptation to buy fancy new sets.

I think he said they would have been about £6 each at the time.

If I ever buy any more I won’t buy any cheap ones, they are a waste of money. The Silverline ones are cheap.

davidjey
    Free Member

Non ball ended, that would drive me crazy.

takisawa2

No 7mm. 😐
    (Brake caliper bolts on cars…) 🙂

For the money that’s a good deal.
    Tempted, for when I get round to sorting out the garage.

nemesis
    Free Member

I got a set and TBH I had just continued to use my Wera ones as they’re much nicer with the ball ends and I find the silverline stand a bit annoying as the holes are hex shaped and narrow so the keys don’t just drop straight in. Oh and I’ve got gaps where I’ve removed the 4.5 and 5.5 sizes which are no use (for me at least) and were annoying as they stopped me picking the right key by sight.

Andy-R

I am (well, was) a toolmaker and forty years ago (yes, I was using metric fasteners then) I made a set of Allen keys with a speed brace type handle in 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm sizes – the hex section is pressed into an appropriately sized piece of silver steel and the other end is machined to fit into a slot in the T handle, which is then silver soldered on.
    They don’t leave my workshop but the Silverline ones will get chucked into my “riding toolbox” in my van. If they turn out to be crap (and I don’t believe they will, otherwise I wouldn’t have bought them) it’s only 8 quid…

trail_rat
    Free Member

8’quid for silverline or 16quid for wera …. Ill stick to wera thanks. You wont know how shite the silverline are till its too late.

Nothing good quality ever came out of a silverline box , it was a source of constant disapointment so i stopped buying the shite,

hatter

They’ll be the most expensive allen keys you’ll ever buy if you round something off and end up losing a day’s riding/trashing the part/having to get a taxi home.

I’d stick to the Wera or Bahco ones myself if I was on a budget, and Park/Pedros/Beta if I wasn’t.

But that’s just me.

njee20
    Free Member

They’ll be the most expensive allen keys you’ll ever buy if you round something off and end up losing a day’s riding/trashing the part/having to get a taxi home

I know people like to pack everything, but surely people aren’t doing trailside maintenance with a set of ball end allen keys like these 😯

Nobby

Those Bahco ones linked above are fantastic quality & a bargain too.

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

I know people like to pack everything, but surely people aren’t doing trailside maintenance with a set of ball end allen keys like these

Those two holes on the bottom of the stand line up perfect with bottle cage mounts.

Slogo
    Free Member

Andy R – Member
    I am (well, was) a toolmaker and forty years ago (yes, I was using metric fasteners then) I made a set of Allen keys with a speed brace type handle in 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm sizes – the hex section is pressed into an appropriately sized piece of silver steel and the other end is machined to fit into a slot in the T handle, which is then silver soldered on.
    They don’t leave my workshop but the Silverline ones will get chucked into my “riding toolbox” in my van. If they turn out to be crap (and I don’t believe they will, otherwise I wouldn’t have bought them) it’s only 8 quid…

you’re a tool maker and you bought silverline……. Do you work for silverline?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Those Bahco ones linked above are fantastic quality & a bargain too.

Ridiculous value! Don’t exactly *need* them, but bought a set anyway 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve got some Bondhus and Wera, but my ‘go to’ set remains a set of halfords pro ones, that I believe we’re made by Wiha, lovely and great value for money.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Hex Keys – this seemed like a good deal to me’ is closed to new replies.