Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Help – Windows 10 install on new SDD in new Laptop
  • leffeboy

HTF do I do that on a laptop?

you need a usb disk ‘caddy’. They aren’t expensive but most likely you can borrow one from a pal. If you already have a newish external hdd you could also just open that up and replace the hdd with your sdd

What cloning soft did you get?

leffeboy

btw, before you rush out to find/buy a caddy make sure you can do the other part of this step which is to be able to shrink your existing hdd down to the same size as the sdd. The built in disk tools can often do this otherwise you might want to check if the cloning software can but that is less likely

But at this point if you have a pal locally who can look over your shoulder it might be worth getting them to take a look as I find it surprising that it is going wrong as you have done similar things in the past with no problems. Most likely you have just missed a step early on that someone else might catch

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I got it sorted, a bit of user error it seems.

SSD seems to be quite fast. HOpe I can find a faster browser than edge.

THanks all!

leffeboy

🙂 Is happy

Cougar

If you’ve cloned it, you might need to enable TRIM.

Open an Administrator command prompt and type,

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

If it returns 0 you’re good. If it returns 1, you need to enable it. Type,

fsutil behavior set DisableNotify 0

Also, disable the defrag schedule, it’s meaningless on an SSD. Type dfrgui in the Start menu, go into the schedule and turn it off.

Cougar

Oh yeah, alignment.

Run msinfo32, go to components \ storage \ disks and look for Partition Starting Offset. Tell me what that figure says.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta.

I booted it off of the USB, seems I’d chosen the std install vs custom.

I formatted the 1tb disk (or all the partitions I could) that it came with, and a 320gb from the old one, using the windows install software on the usb, I have no way of checking this other than the fact the machine won’t boot off of them, can I pass them on in confidence that passwords etc aren’t saved on them?

leffeboy

I’ve never used it but dban is usually the software of choice for properly wiping a drive. A format doesn’t clean the data, it just ‘resets’ things so the disk looks empty but the data might be recoverable. Disk wipe software will actually write junk data to the disk in a way that makes it impossible to recover. Ccleaner also has a disk wipe option

cynic-al
    Free Member

CHeers. I found a way of putting dban on a bootable usb drive.

Except it doesn’t work 🙁

Ah well caddies £3 on ‘t ‘bay

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Help – Windows 10 install on new SDD in new Laptop’ is closed to new replies.