Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Help – Windows 10 install on new SDD in new Laptop
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, I tried the MS tool to download the ISO file to a DVD, if failed, without explanation. I am no expert but I can usually get stuff like this sorted.

Any help appreciated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm oddly but happily it seems to be working now

cynic-al
    Free Member

Got it boot off dvd, it did stuff then told me to boot normally. Can’t work out how in the BIOS.

jimwah
    Free Member

There’s usually a ‘Boot’ submenu in the BIOS, & you can move devices up & down the list – enable & move your SSD up to the top. You can always hit F12 / F10 (or whatever it is on your PC) to manually select the boot device if required.

Cougar

Got it boot off dvd, it did stuff then told me to boot normally. Can’t work out how in the BIOS.

Take the DVD out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Take the DVD out.

🙂

Al sometimes these things can be quite tempremental at first, I have had to do Mac OSX installs more than one sometimes even if I think I am following the exact same steps 😕

So you bought a new laptop and went straight for an SSD upgrade ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez Cougar, harsh.

I have the BIOS menu up, there’s no clear thing to change to get it to boot off hd.

Yeah £25 SSD, sell the 1TB as nearly new to cover it (lemonade lifestyle here)

jimwah
    Free Member

What laptop make/model?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Jeez Cougar, harsh.

that seems sensible advice though – allows you to keep boot from dvd as first option.

Cougar

Jeez Cougar, harsh.

I have the BIOS menu up, there’s no clear thing to change to get it to boot off hd.

Wasn’t meant to be. Point was, if you’ve swapped a hard disk for an SSD, you shouldn’t have to change anything. Even if the boot order is a bag of washing it should still fall through to the HDD eventually.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm ok ta

Just keeps going back to bios.

Might I have to do something to the SSD other than plug it in?

Cougar

Install Windows on it? (-:

When you say it keeps going “back to BIOS” what do you mean? It’s failing to find a boot device and rebooting?

You shouldn’t need to do anything with the disk as the Windows installer should sort out all the boot partitioning etc. It might be worth explicitly flattening the drive during setup; I can’t remember the exact Windows 10 parlance but it’s something like selecting a custom install and then choosing to “keep nothing.” Delete everything off the SSD if it gives you the option, then install to the free space you’ve created.

Presumably there’s an pre-existing HDD which has been removed prior to this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes.

SSD I blank I hope, brand new.

These the 1TB hdd has W10 on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

i am not a windows expert but if the machine has a completely blank ssd in it its not going to boot up on its own

I think ypu need to put w10 on it from the dvd or boot from a bootable usb stick (think you can do this, you can on a mac)

leffeboy

It does seem to suggest that win10 didn’t install properly on the disk. I would try again, possibly from a usb stick just to change things a bit. Its always worked for me from usb so far

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ this

As I said I have fresh installs on Macs fail to work sometimes.

Are you sure you installed W10 to the ssd after it booted from the dvd or did it never boot from the dvd becuase this iso thing didn’t work ? You might have to out the hdd back in to make a bootable usb or do that from another computer, not sure as I am not a windows expert (but won’t let that stop me “contributing” 😉 )

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno, windows install did stuff then told me to reboot without dvd (ie using disc, ssd) which i presumed meant it mafemade it bootable.

Ill but a USB then shame sd won’t cut it!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Try same again, nothing to lose.

leffeboy

It does sound like the dvd did its stuff. The only other possibility is that you have the boot order set to dvd only so it never checks the hdd. You’ve already checked though and couldn’t find the setting. Maybe try posting up the make of lappie here and someone else with a similar machine could look on theirs?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. Just fired up original hdd and it boots fine off that. The ISO file on the dvd is Trying to install w10.

It’s not Asus x553m

leffeboy

If it works off the original HDD then your bios setting is likely to be fine. I would try again using a USB stick. It might be something else of course but that would be my attempt

cynic-al
    Free Member

2016-06-02_06-04-26

scaredypants

Al, post a pic of the main & advanced screens as well

Cougar

One thing you could try, is there a Secure Boot option in BIOS? Try disabling that.

i am not a windows expert but if the machine has a completely blank ssd in it its not going to boot up on its own

Hush, then. (-:

A bare SSD will not boot, correct; however if you’ve successfully run the W10 installer then the install process should make it bootable at the point where it tells you to remove the media.

I can only assume that the install went south somehow. Like I said, I’d try again but make sure to wipe the drive rather than any sort of variation on an “upgrade” install.

USB is worth trying – if nothing else, it’s considerably faster than DVD – but the actual process should be identical regardless of media. What did you use to burn the .ISO to disc?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. The windoze software did the dvd, and there’s stuff in the dvd, so I assumed I was ok. It verified

Cougar

Can’t have gone too far wrong if it actually ran the installation, TBF.

I was going to suggest posting it to me to sort if you’re absolutely stuck, but after your usage of “windoze” I’m tempted to rescind that offer. (-:

scaredypants

FWIW, I reinstalled W10 on my pc the other day (trying to sort a problem that, ultimately, had nothing to do the OS)

Used a USB stick which loaded all the files and did an installation but then went back to the “do you want to install windows; agree to the terms” prompt and would’ve continued doing that all day if I’d said yes (which I did 1st time round). Next time I just exited at that point and booted – installation is absolutely fine; it’s activated and updated and works as normal. Could it be that’s what you’re seeing Al ?

Cougar

Like I said at the outset: you need to remove the installation media.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2016-06-02_07-32-34

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have remove the damn dvd!

leffeboy

Ah ok. From the screen shot it looks likes it wants to upgrade rather that do a clean installation so it needs you to boot into windows first which of course you can’t do as the ssd is empty. I’m sure I’ve done a clean install before though

runs off to look

edit:
    runs back
    did you use the media creation tool to create your dvd?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I normally use that to create the usb drive

Actually what I really prefer to do here normally is just to clone the existing drive as then I get all of the drivers and programs as well. Your original drive is 1TB which will be bigger than your SSD but you can normally use the disk tools to shrink that 1TB drive down first so that the clone works. You do of course need a disk caddy for that but they are only 5-10 quid normally. But in any case I have done the clean install thing before and it should work for you so as before it might be best to go back to stage 1 and recreate either your dvd or a usb stick

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK ta. can I just copy all the shit from then original 1tb HDD to the ssd? hidden files too and all that pish?

I think I used tat link. will check

leffeboy

If you do a clone it copies everything. The trick is to get the original small enough to clone. If everything is splattered all over the disk then you might not be able to shrink it small enough

Depending on the sort of new drive you bought then they may even provide the cloning software e.g. Samsung, but the software will only work with their disks. Otherwise you need to find something else

jambalaya
    Free Member

@al clone is a “special copy” you need a specific utility – also you need a usb caddy for the ssd – do you have one

@Cougar 🙂 sorry just can’t help myself ! (Cameron ranting on so need a diversion)

Cougar

From that screenshot, it looks like you’re trying to do an upgrade. Don’t do that, do what I said ^^ and Keep Nothing. Ie, the first half of Leffe’s post.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What I have been doing from the word go is using that tool.

Tried a USB stick. Same mother****ing result 😡

leffeboy

Try using the original hdd and booting into the bios. Can you see that hdd in the boot order list or anywhere else?

The do the same with the ssd and see if you can see it in the list.

I can’t believe that your system cant see the disk otherwise im sure it would have bombed before now but its worth checking

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bios def sees new disk ok

Pal offered to take it on 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, so I downloaded cloning software. It seems to want 2 discs to be connected at once. HTF do I do that on a laptop?

Anyway it’ll then copy all the bloatware that I sincerely hope is the cause for the new laptop to be shit slow.

Another hour spent failing to progress and trying not to throw it out the window 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Help – Windows 10 install on new SDD in new Laptop’ is closed to new replies.