Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! postage scam on Depop and getting the money back
  • strike
    Free Member

Mt stepson wanted some headphones from a site Depop.com (not familiar with it – quickly checked it out and seemed legit, appears to be a resale site) – they were £60 and payment via paypal, so did the payment. Today checked my creditcard (which paypal payment is linked to) and find £1060 pending transaction. Check paypal and it gives a breakdown of £60+£1000 POSTAGE so a trick on the postage fee. I’ve called Halifax (credit card) and Paypal and been bounced between them several times – the seller has claimed the money via Paypal so they’re not interested and told me to request Halifax perform a chargeback request. Halifx can’t stop the payment, even though it’s pending and all they’ve said they can do is once the payment has processed is for me to raise a dispute. In the meantime we have contacted Depop.com via email explaining the situation, pending reply.
    What can I do because I am really concerned that all parties will just argue that I have failed to read the smallprint. Lets say the seller does post them and they arrive…?
    HELP!

scaredypants

dunno, but I’d be telling everybody in my houselhold to refuse any recorded/signed delivery

Cougar

That’s a weird one. Normally with scam sites their domain registration is very recent and only lasts for a year. Depop.com was registered in 2006, which makes me think it’s a mistake rather than a scam (unless they’ve been hacked I guess).

Can’t you just cancel the order?

Cougar

Ah.

https://depophelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001772468-How-to-get-a-refund

As Depop is a marketplace, all refunds should be arranged between you and the seller. Private sellers are not required by law to offer refunds, so before buying an item it’s important to check the Seller’s return policy. If the item has arrived and it’s not as described you can open a dispute with PayPal.

Cougar

https://depophelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001827248-Buyer-Protection

In order to be covered by Buyer Protection you must pay inside the app or on the Depop website, using the BUY button and report any issues to us within 180 days.

All purchases made in-app and/or on the Depop website, are covered by Buyer Protection and you’ll receive a full refund if your item doesn’t arrive or if it’s significantly not as described.

The following aren’t covered by Buyer Protection:

– Purchases made without using the BUY button
    – Meet in person transactions
    – Non-material goods, such as event tickets

strike
    Free Member

Thanks. We’ve taped the letterbox and also the seller account on Depop has suddenly dissapeared. The transaction was also carried out within the app and not outside of it in any way. Depop isn’t the issue it’s the seller……

Kamakazie

Yeah Depop is a legitimate marketplace for used & new goods.

Good shout on the not accepting delivery. I assume delivery costs would have to be refunded on non-delivery but have you checked?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! postage scam on Depop and getting the money back’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM