Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help me identify this Hope brake
  • robo
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a brake from the classifieds which was sold to me as a Hope M4. It sure isn’t what I expected, I was expecting a Mini lever and 4-pot caliper which took 2 pairs of pads.

If someone can work out what it is and most importantly which brake pads will fit then I’d really appreciate it.

I’m guessing it is some very old E4 model and will take XC4 pads…

I’ve tried to unsert a couple of pics, but if it fails then the link is here

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rob

racing_ralph
    Free Member

its bloody old

singlespeedstu

The E4 had 4 seperate pads.

Looks like an XC4 with Pro lever.

wwaswas

isn’t that the orginal style m4?

robo
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I wish I’d asked for pics before transferring money!

wwaswas, if it is a really old M4 then do you remember if the XC4 pads will fit?

andywhit
    Free Member

It’s a closed system (from the lever) so Hope XC4 ?

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/1027

singlespeedstu
    Russell96

Looks like the XC4, the M4 has a pair of pad retention pins, wheras the linked pic only shows one hole for a pin.

Take a look at the XC4 in this manual Linky

sc-xc

finally left the pub thren Stu you drunkard?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

its got the pro lever which is a closed system. it will heat uo on even short downhills and you’ll have to wind out the silver cap on the top of the lever to stop the pads binding on the disc as the fluid heats up (dont forget to wind them back in after the’ve cooled or it’s no brakes for the next DH).

I used to run C2s, which used the same lever, and they heated up badly on even short downhills.

I recon that is at least 8 years old and worth sod all, so maybe ask for a refund as they do not look like m4s and the xc4s were poor brakes even for a light xc bike!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

If it’s been sold as a M4, then you’ve been sold the wrong thing. Misleading ad.

If you ‘bought’ an M4, then by law that is what you should have received. You are perfectly entitled to return it and get a refund.

nickc

Agree with Rube Boy, get your money back

singlespeedstu

sc-xc.

my body has left the pub but my mind’s still there……

andywhit
    Free Member

Name and shame, get the lynching posse warmed up…

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

definitely XC4, tiny pads which do bugger all aprt from squeal, all the issues of overheating as mentioned above, leading to attempts to wind out the cap with one hand while going downhill fast because you can’t stop

robo
    Free Member

any thanks fellas, great response! I’m hoping the guy is reasonable and will refund me and have sent him an email asking this with a link to this thread. Hopefully won’t need to name & shame but will do if he won’t play ball!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“leading to attempts to wind out the cap with one hand while going downhill fast because you can’t stop “

lol, that brings back too many scary memories! riding downhill one handed while winding out the cap as the levers are moving out rapidly. Not a lot of fun :-O

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ehhh?

maybe i ride off the brakes more but the only hill ive ever cooked C2’s on was bamford cough, when i only had 1 brake as the pads fell out the V’s on the front.

gohan
    Free Member

defo an xc4, and defo old!

Ambrose

My C2’s are now third hand on my son’s bike and have done sterling service for many years now. Inc a shedload of alpine descents. But I’d not advise the ‘ahem’ bigger built rider to use them on a long steep descent.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help me identify this Hope brake’ is closed to new replies.