Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me build a pumptrack – where to start??
  • rocco

I want to get a pumptrack built locally (Chepstow) We have nothing here and would need to travel to Bristol or beyond and I think it would be a great asset for the community.

I think there are a few (?) people on here who have been involved in getting something created, were you successful?

Where is the best place to start asking?

matt_outandabout

Who owns the land?

DickBarton

Have you found some suitable land? If so, have you approached the landowner to see what they think? Are you looking to build yourself (or a local group) or using someone like the company like VeloSolutions (https://velosolutions.com/get-a-pump-track/)?
    How much local interest and support has this got?

dartdude
    Free Member

@Worldclassaccident iirc

I’d also like to put forward a case to my local parish council for part of the football fields to entertain a pump/jump track.

ossify

Not really local to you but may be an option: Dirt Factory in Manchester do modular pump tracks, either as a temporary thing to gauge usage/interest or as a permanent installation.

Probably much cheaper and quicker to install than traditional dirt/tarmac versions.

Example:

Pumptrack Hire x Lots of Use = Permanent Installation

Info on hire or purchase:

PUMP TRACK HIRE

jwt
    Free Member

As mentioned above, ask the landowner, I approached the local parish council 10 years ago and they supported me to where we are today.

Allithwaite Community Pumptrack | Facebook

Get LOTS of help, they are expensive to build if done properly, and raising money is a thankless task.

A small-ish sized track with be around £150k from Velosolutions or Clark and Kent.

For comparison, ours would be around £90-100k now?

Did I mention get lots of help and support?

If it isn’t adopted by a sports body or local council, you need to factor in public liability insurance and maintenance and upkeep. Litter bins and somewhere for families to sit help as well.

rootes1

I managed to get a little pump track and mini mtb track built in Woking. Feel free to drop me a dm.

took nearly 3 years from first contact to it being open.

Alpha1653

Hey Rocco.

Great idea and something that would benefit the town. I grew up there and don’t live that far away nowadays and try to get back as frequently as I can to ride my old trails. Have you connected up with the local riding community to see who else might be interested?

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Where were you proposing to build it? There’s an element of flat ground between Welsh Street and the park in the Dell – around the old water fountain that could fit a pump track.
    also Piggy’s Hill was donated to the town years ago for use by the town by the Phelps family I recall (might not be Phelps but it’s not “council” land as such) which is why the skatepark was built there – that took a stack of local support work when it was built at the height of the late 90’s early 2000’s skate and BMX pomp but given it’s all RC it probably costs comparatively more than a tarmac pump track.

what are the other options, other than having them tagged into new build development estates?
    Tutshill park used to have some jumps on the side nearest the river, is there a pump track there or in Sedbury?

Grew up in the town and was active in local ish track building (worked in 559 Bikes when it was still there) so I’d take a keen interest if something was proposed as my parents still live there and I’d bring the bikes over when I take the kids.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You want one like this one at Chinky Park:

With attached dirt jumps off the same roll-in like these at Charnock:

rocco

Sorry, I’m sure I replied to this.

@stwhannah
    that was the article that got me thinking and a start place. I will be emailing local councillor but won’t hold my breath with elections soon. May need to pick it up in a months time.

Alpha/Pimp – I was thinking of somewhere like the Danes park. A nice big space that could take a small track easily. I like opposite Piggys hil and would love to see a track there rather than the skate park, it’s certainly got elevation it could use

My MiL lives near Cheddar and I used the new track down there with my daughter, she loved it. It was built by velosolutions in Bristol and reported to cost around £100k

Alpha1653

Hey mate. The Danes is a good shout…there’s already a playground there and a big expanse of green that isn’t under for anything in particular. The issue I could foresee is proximity to all the housing; as kids we used to ride bikes and build jumps round there and used to frequently get into trouble with the owners of houses that backed into the park.

@pimpingimp
    – do I know you?! I used to work in 559 as well around 2007 when it stocked Specialized and Santa Cruz. And I used to build trails around the local area too…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.