• This topic has 55 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • HELP! Mac problem with connecting to internet
  • Spud

Help please Mac users. Just got a new Mac (first one) and I can't for the life of me get the thing to connect to the internet. It's connected to the router but Safari says no!! Any wisdom to offer would be much appreciated.

Smee
    Free Member

restart safari and see if that fixes it.

Spud

Nope. I've restarted the computer and still no.

kneecap
    Free Member

If the above doesn't work try 'Network' via 'system preferences' in the drop down to the Apple logo on the top left of the screen.Or, try right click on the signal strength icon (top right)

Spud

And that will do?

Rob_514
    Free Member

might be something to do with your firewall settings. mine is doing a similar thing after installing an update.
    go to system preferences. then security. firewall settings. allow all traffic for a mo and see if u can connect to the net. just make sure u put the settings back to how u found them pretty sharpish otherwise u could be open to all sorts of threats.

if not see if u can connect to something like msn that way u may find if its a safari problem.

kneecap
    Free Member

No, sorry you may need to go to the 'configure' box once in 'Network' You should be able to configure everything once you have your IP address etc. To be honest Macs are usually far better than Windows stuff for ease of use. try the above, could also try turning off your router, leave 30secs or so, then turn it on with your Mac turned on. See if it then registers it.

geoffj

1. How do you know its connected to the router? Wireless symbol at top right OK?
    2. Does your internet connection work on another computer connected to the same router?

If the answer to 2 is yes, try using a network cable from the router to the mac.

Tried rebooting the router?

Spud

Rebooted the modem and router and still no joy. Typing this on a Windows laptop and it's fine.

GlenMore
    Free Member

Spud – Member

Rebooted the modem and router and still no joy. Typing this on a Windows laptop and it's fine.

There's your fix right there

Spud

Indeed!

retro83
    Free Member

open up System Preferences, go to Network. Click AirPort, it should look something like this:

If it doesn't, you've done something wrong!

GlenMore
    Free Member

Aye – looks intuitive.

Spud

Looks exactly like that retro..

Jamie
    Free Member

Can other internet dependant programs work? Mail etc?

Spud

No. Nowt connecting.

jam-bo

can you access the internet through the router on another device?

Spud

Yep, I haven't a clue…

GlenMore
    Free Member

Have you checked that you're stylish enough to operate a Mac?

Is the router maybe the wrong colour?

Spud

Blue and black, quite normal colours in my book.

geoffj

Try temporarily switching off security on the router and turn the firewall settings off on the mac.
    If it connects without security and firewall, try switching them back on one by one.

tomzo
    Free Member

lol at glen more.

tomzo
    Free Member

Have you been on the routers home page, and put you macinstoshs MAC address into allowed MAC addresses?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Can you hook it up with an ethernet cable? (this will point to whether or not there is wireless issue)
    If you remove the security from the router can you connect to the internet?

I did have a similar issue with my old Netgear router. The problem went away when I moved house and started using a BT home hub for the router. This isn't a fix I'd necessarily recommend.

GlenMore
    Free Member

tomzo – Member

Have you been on the routers home page, and put you macinstoshs MAC address into allowed MAC addresses?

Is that a MacMAC address?

johnnyc

Check on Airport (click on the little fan symbol top right) to see if any of your nice neighbours have left their networks open…..

tomzo
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure you need to:
    Click on Apple icon -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Network

Look for the router ip. Its under the heading IPv4, opposite router
    will look like this 192.168.1.254

enter that number into the address bar in safari on your mac or firefox on your windows machine. It wil take you to your ruouter homepage. It may ask for username and login which is either what you've set or 'admin' for both. From there go into the settings, then into something like "wireless client filter'. there will be a list of wierd looking numbers and letters. you need to add you mac's MAC address to this list. should be able to this autocmatially..

You need to do this for all wireless devices regardless of mac or pc. Hope it helps.

geoffj

and what if it's in scotlandshire?

geoffj

Tomzo – surely it wouldn't connect to the router if there was a MAC address exception?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    and what if it's in scotlandshire?

…and from a well known burger chain?

tomzo
    Free Member

Hmmm i seem to remember mine did but just wouldn't connect to the internet. Same with my PS3 and itouch.

Spud

Tried with mac filter on and off, with no luck.

geoffj

Have you tried it with a cable?

grumm
    Free Member

Try making sure you have the latest firmware for your router.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you have the airport symbol in the menu bar? Does it show a) full strength and b) your router?

geoffj

Set the wireless speed on the router to the b or g NOT mixed setting. I remember having the same problem a while ago.

Spud

Jamie, yes that's the display I get.

Geoffj, makes no difference.

jam-bo

rebooted the router? have to do it now and again with mine.

Spud

Yup, I'm wondering if it's the ISP.

jam-bo

what? an anti-MAC isp?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Mac problem with connecting to internet’ is closed to new replies.