Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help for an impulsive newbie!
  • Prodriver
    Free Member

Hi, just got the biking bug which I last had pre-kids. Now the boys are older we’ve started again.

Saw an advert for a GT i-Drive 3.0 frame so went to investigate. It had Rockshox Recon 351s with remote lockout, XT front & rear mech, LX crankset, GT seatpost and Tioga saddle – it was advertised for £20 (yes £20!)

So, I bought it and now have the job of building it up – never done it before!

Anyway, to the question – probably the first of many!

What chain do I need? The LX cassette appears to have 34 teeth on the large gear on the wheels I bought – would any of HG53/73/93/XT/XTR Dura Ace be compatible?

Also (told you there would be a few queries!) acquired some Avid BB5 disc brakes but the caliper bolts, although they are the right centres to locate on the frame go straight through the hole on the frame – do I need a nut or some kind of adaptor?

Thanks, in anticipation!

Nige

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Any 9 speed chain will be fine, your budget will dictate which one,

As for the brakes I’m not sure what the problem could be, you are placing the caliper behind the disk brake tab and not in front?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any chain of correct width will do (width depends on no. of gears – 9 speed?). If the cassette is not new it may n9ot mesh with a new chain. Try is and see.

The caliper bolts screw through the frame and into the adaptors the brakes should be bolted to.

I can see the future…it holds many threads from you!

Prodriver
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks.

Whichever side I offer up the bolt on it just slides through the hole. It’s the same on the GT i-Drive Comp I also bought on impulse!

sc-xc

Bolt -> frame -> caliper

and welcome!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The disc tabs on the frame (any frame) are not threaded, you need to place the calliper behind (wheel side) the tab on the frame, the calliper is threaded and will accept the bolt.

Prodriver
    Free Member

DOH, I think you could be right cynic-al!

How many wheels should it have 😳

Also (told you you were right) I need to locate some bolts/fixings for both ends of the Vanilla R rear shock…….

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Also (told you you were right) I need to locate some bolts/fixings for both ends of the Vanilla R rear shock……

Now that will be frame specific, try http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/ they have various GT parts and may be able to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help for an impulsive newbie!’ is closed to new replies.