Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help for a mate, after a 140mm full suss trail bike <£3500
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Hi

I am a little out of the new full suss bike loop at the minute, and it seems there is an abundance of Enduro bikes about but the last time I bought a full suss we called them trail bikes 🙂

I am after some assistance on options to suggest for the above type of bike.  It is for trail centres only and must be a 27.5 wheel size.

He has the option for a new 2017 Intense Spider 275, likes the Commencal Meta TR but is tempted by the Canyon Spectral / YT Jeffsy.

Help please.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d say ‘Enduro’ bikes are a bit bigger than ‘Trail’ bikes need to be – they’re more like mini-DH except comfortable for several hours that includes riding your own climbs.  There’s an Intense demo day at FOD at the start of April…

I’m currently toying with Intense Primer and Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 in the same price bracket and also as trail bikes/all day bikes for the Peaks and Lakes – but they’re both 29/27.5+ (strictly the Primer isn’t 27.5+ but I have it on authority that it will run a 3.0)

jonnyrockymountain

There is a lovely Whyte t-130 Carbon currently for sale in for sale section size m

seller is Gaz haigh, I go riding with him and he certainly doesn’t scrimp when it comes to looking after maintains and pimping bikes up with top quality components, and he has numerous bikes so it hasn’t been used that much

hes wanting around 2.5k so you have a grand spare

1timmy1
    Free Member

https://www.bird.bike/product-category/complete-bikes/aeris-145/

3.5k will get you a really nice build, or save a bit of money.

dekadanse
    Free Member

ljs1977 – all those that you mentioned, plus the Whyte T-130, which is really the pick of the crop.

Poopscoop

Recommend what I have: YT Jeffsy. 😀

toofarwest

Norco Sight?

poah
    Free Member

transition scout

chestrockwell

2017 Orange 5 from Sunset MTB. 15% off then a further 10% with the code SAVE10.

zerolight
    Free Member

It’s a great budget to have, and if you shop around for last seasons models you can get a great deal. I snagged my Hightower Carbon S 29er build for £3200 in November from Biketreks (who have been really great with after care service, fast warranty on my Monarch, and even a £30 loyalty credit). If that hadn’t been available I was looking at a 5010, Bronson, or Jeffsy 29er, but I got the bike I wanted.

chakaping
    Free Member

YT Jeffsy 27 is well worth a look, if your pal can live with 150mm travel.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Your mate could save half his dosh and buy my well looked after 5..

madhouse

Bird Aeris 145.

I’ve not got one as it’s more travel than I need but everyone I’ve met who has one says it’s the best bike they’ve owned and they can’t help grinning when they ride it.

ta11pau1

Cube Stero 140 HPC TM (although he might have to wait a few weeks as there’s very few places showing any stock)

Or maybe the Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 (with money for upgrades) or 9.0 Pro

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Another vote for the Bird Aeris 145 – or if he wants something more “trail”, the 120.

gasgasser
    Free Member

That Cube Stereo is lovely

Does anyone have one or tried one?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Your question about the Cube Stereo:

Own older hardtails and the Calibre Bossnut (which I love). And I tried the Cube Stereo HPA 140 (aluminium version, not sure which model year) last year. Was right away fun and fast. Perfect trail bike!

Based on that: ordered a Cube Stereo HPA 150 27.5+ frame in the winter sale and buidling this bike right now. Will be my fun full suspension bike with 2.6 rubber. The aluminium frame is the highest manufacturing quality frame I ever had. Only small detail I don’t like: the BB pressfit (no issue for the Crabon version. Carbon frames all have now pressfit…)

No idea about the 140mm Carbon Stereo. I suspect it’s great. If you have the money for it: guess you will be very happy with the bike.

niksnr
    Free Member

Bird AM9 is awesome, but I would say that as I picked mine up last week. Aeris 120 or 140 would suit and Ben & Dan at Bird have been really helpful. Great warranty too. Merida 140 800 is also getting good feedback and can be had for around £3k.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

follow up regarding the Cube Stereo 140 Carbon:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/greg-callaghans-emerald-gem-cube-stereo-bike-check-ews-ireland-2017.html

I’am not “in racing” and I’am a fan of aluminium bikes (and proudly bike my Bossnut V2).

But above link is only one out of many about Greg Callaghans Carbon Stereo. Thing Greg ist right now in the EWS global Enduro race ranking the #3 (is he still #3 ?).

Think he bikes a 27.5 inch Stereo and a 29 inch one and – depending on the race trail – he uses 140 mm rear travel and 160 mm front. Bit funny: he still uses a 2×11 drivetrain…(o.k. – my Bossnut has also a 2x drivetrain… but I’am only a hobby biker and my Bossnut isn’t in any EWS ranking…)

No idea if Greg Callaghan would win on “any bike”. But my guess: the Carbon Stereo is a good bike. I don’t buy bikes based on any “ranking” – but one gentleman in this thread was asking about the Carbon Stereo…)

drovercycles
    Free Member

transition scout

That’s exactly what I came on this thread to say.  This is exactly the sort of riding this bike excels at and is brilliant fun for.

Our ex-demo, very very good condition indeed, large, build is up for sale at £3499 (over £5k build new) so would perhaps suit your mate very well indeed (size depending).

Edit to add I should have said the demo bike is the carbon Scout… wouldn’t be asking that much for an alloy demo bike!

ta11pau1

The stereo 140 is a brand new frame for 2018, I haven’t seen any reviews past the normal previews – the geometry seems decent, i.e not overly long/slack, but a nice happy medium, and you don’t really argue with the spec.

Greg Callaghan has a 2x drivetrain because Di2 😉

fingerbike
    Free Member

Bird Aeris, it’s a brilliant bike.

ljs1977
    Free Member

Great advice guys, thanks.

I have suggested the Bird and the Cube.  Thats what I would like 🙂

He is quite liking the Meta TR, i’m not convinced.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help for a mate, after a 140mm full suss trail bike <£3500’ is closed to new replies.