Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Helmet or bike mount?(Afan video content)
  • runswithscissors

Jetlag Is this a more interesting angle than a camera mounted on the helmet?

BigDummy
    Free Member

In my limited experience, where the camera is mounted is not the main thing that makes amateur video of people riding trail centres such compelling must-see viewing. 😉

That isn’t bad though. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Didn’t you post this up last week?

runswithscissors

Is that a problem uplink?

uplink
    Free Member

no – I just thought I recognised it

Bit defensive aren’t we?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

A helmet mount usually offers smoother footage as its more effectively suspended, rather than vomit-inducing views from a bouncing turning handlebar.

If you can mount the camera on the seatpost you add interest capturing fork and handlebar movement.

Were you asking for genuine opinions and advice, or just fishing for hits on your video? 😉

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Is that in slo mo?

runswithscissors

not worried about hits on the vid munqe-chick just can’t decide if the wheel being in the shot makes it more interesting or not, that was taken with camera mounted on the fork crown.Helmet mounted shots always seem a little detached and uninvolved to me?

runswithscissors

not slo mo MountainMutant i’m just a natural born mincer!

dyna-ti

Helmet
    Gives you the opportunity to pan around,given that 99% or the time you will be looking straight ahead,attached to the bar there isnt that option,plus you will be looking at what watchers are wanting to see,namely the trail ahead,a mounted camera angle will be difficult to get the shooting angle spot on,you could spend the whole film pointing at the wheel.
    Less likely to damage it if/when you fall off head mounted
    Plus your body will absorb most of the shocks

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I like the tyre in the shot but not the angle you’ve got it at, I keep trying to lean over as I’m watching it 😆

FuzzyWuzzy

Ick, what’s with the 45 degree angle, makes me feel sick watching it :p

runswithscissors

yes the cam had slipped a bit in it’s mount so was not at correct angle,just tip your screen a little to see the effect I was after! 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

By the way, thats actually Deadwood, Peregrine Ridge and Jetlag.

Sorry to be an arse but i’m bored!!

runswithscissors

thanks for that nickegg, was our first time there so ‘scuse the ignorance!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

the best footage Ive seen from a home made video was a camera effectively mounted on the seatpost. Its more isolated from bouncing than a bar mount, and captures all the handlebar action (breaking, gears, turns, even a speedo if set up correctly) as well as the trail beyond.

Havent managed to get my ATC2K set up there yet, using the handlebar mount on the seatpost just puts it in the way of your leg…

dyna-ti

Attach it to a pedal and make everyone watching it,puke 😆

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

it’s an interesting viewpoint but for me IMHO five minutes of what is effectively the same shot (at a 45 degree angle for some reason) is too long.

If it’s just a record of a ride, that’s fine but if you want a watchable video you should change mounting positions from fork to frame to helmet to backward looking etc. and cut the shots together.

Take the music video approach where a segment of film of say 15 seconds is the maximum length before changing to another shot.

Another rider in shot the majority of the time always makes a video more interesting too.

But it’s all a matter of opinion and as i said already, as a record of you and your mate riding the Jetlag trail (is that new, I don’t know it) it does what it says on the tin.

runswithscissors

thanks MTB idle, wasn’t expecting anyone to watch the whole thing (except me) just wanted opinions on the camera position, agree with the changing viewpoint idea. munqe-chick, i’ll see if i can get that option sorted on my next attempt.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Munque-chick

a camera effectively mounted on the seatpost. Its more isolated from bouncing than a bar mount,

presumably only if you are riding a full suspension bike otherwise it’s bouncing far more than a bar mount (again, presumably if you are using suspension forks)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Helmet or bike mount?(Afan video content)’ is closed to new replies.