Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Helmet Lights Used On The Road
  • veedubba

What’re people’s thoughts?

I was riding home tonight and got blinded by a fellow cyclist who had his brighter-than-the-sun light mounted on his helmet. Sure I saw him, but then I didn’t see him, or anything else because I was **** blind.

I thought it was safer to have a bright bar-mounted light on the road so it was at least fixed and you weren’t shining it into people’s faces every time you moved your head.

simondbarnes

I’m with you on this one

Badger
    Free Member

have the helmet light on low or low flash and the bar light on bright. Angle the helmet light’s mount more downwards when on the road

seems to ensure I’m seen without blinding.

steveh

I’ll take the risk of blinding people a bit for being sure they’ve definitely seen me.

Northwind

I have a helmet-mounted XML torch, but aimed very low. I can glare people with it if I make the effort but it’d never happen accidentally. Does seem to be quite a few damn fools riding around with offroad lights aimed in the eyeline though.

veedubba

I’ll take the risk of blinding people a bit for being sure they’ve definitely seen me, even if I cause an accident.

FTFY

You either blind them or not Steveh, not “a bit”.

The tool this evening had his light on very bright and shone it straight in my face as I was going round a roundabout, then pulled out behind me so every time I looked round I got a face full. Nice. There’s being seen, and there’s consideration for other road users.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yup hate them. Nearly as annoying as mtb’ers who ride a section of trail, then turn round to watch you come down it WITH THEIR HELMET LIGHT STILL ON!!!.

That said, I have no problem using mega bright head-torches when running, but the bobbing motion of running makes it obvous I’m a pedestrian, not a road-user.

veedubba

Oh yeah, and he didn’t have a bar mounted light on either.

tonyg2003

I use my Diablo on low setting for the road (was out tonight) and aim it down. It is useful to have a headlight for junctions and roundabouts where you want good side visibility. I don’t use the MTB brighter than the sun headlight on the road or MTB bar light on anything other than low setting on the road either. However better too bright than not bright enough

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Helmet Lights Used On The Road’ is closed to new replies.