Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Hebden Bridge – The Coolest Place in Britain
  • pootle
    Free Member

There was a supplement in The Times today, “The 30 coolest places to live in Britain”. Hebden Bridge was number 1.

I thought I’d heard it mentioned on here so checked and I was right. So, somewhere for decent riding and the coolest place in Britain. Am I missing out? Should I pack my bags now?

ton

i prefer keswick.

IHN

I prefer Whaley Bridge

Hebden’s alright though. It’s a bit ‘obviously’ nice though, and therefore touristy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Should say ‘Coolest & wettest’ (or was that Sowerby Bridge?) ❓

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its one of the few places I’d move to and I love where I live (few miles down the valley)…

The plus points (“cool”, good riding, nice vibe etc) are outweighed by the negatives though (full of pr*cks on bikes every weekend, longer commute times to civilisation, have to spend a LOT to get a house with a decent garden and garage etc) for us. So I’ll stay where I am, have all ‘MY’ trails and when I feel like it, jump on the train for 10 minutes (or ride 30 minutes) to Hebden.

pootle
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested in why it’s so cool:

“Hebden Bridge has been voted one of the quirkiest places in the world thanks to its artists, musicians and New Agers. It is also reputed to be one of the most gay-friendly towns in the country. The music scene is great — the Trades Club is an institution.”

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Mountain Biking was invented in Hebden Bridge.

johnellison
    Free Member

It’s full of tree-hugging sandal-wearing guardian-reading lentil-eating soap-dodgers. So I guess if you you think that’s cool, then yeah it’s cool.

Todmorden’s way cooler.

hora
    Free Member

Its a joke right?

binners

The Times? You are aware that nobody who writes for the Times has ever been north of Watford, right?

Anyway…. Hebdon….

MrSparkle

‘Salreet there. Birds are a bit hard to chat up though…

dannyh
    Free Member

I think it’s quite a nice place, but a bit of a cliche type place. It also needs to be careful – too cool and you’ll get a load of SUV-driving yummy mummies persuading their rich husbands to move there. Property prices through the roof, fences and hedges thrown up everywhere, and every cheeky trail closed by people who have paid “damned good money” to exclude others from their private idyll.

I still like the Viz euphemism for lesbianism – ‘on the road to Hebden Bridge’.

Oh, and that car park in the town (near the coin-operated bogs) is the coldest place in the known universe. I’ve been warmer getting changed next to a reservoir after a winter ride than getting changed there!

pootle
    Free Member

The Times? You are aware that nobody who writes for the Times has ever been north of Watford, right?

I’ve rarely been north of Watford myself. I do wonder if I’m missing out sometimes, and not just because The Times says there are cool places oop north 😉

fubar
    Free Member

too cool and you’ll get a load of SUV-driving yummy mummies persuading their rich husbands to move there. Property prices through the roof,

erm….I think that happened 10 to 15 years ago (+) !

I used to live there for a short while (6 months) and don’t miss it at all. I only live 10 miles away now but haven’t stopped off in Hebden for a few years (and then only to go to Blazing Saddles bike shop). So no you are not missing much.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes I was aware of that!

If you live somewhere a bit ‘alternative’ the death-knell is seeing a yummy mummy type parking up in their SUV before getting out a wicker basket and walking along with it in the crook of their elbow and wearing designer, yet boho-looking, clothes. Perhaps a floral shirt. They then buy a 100ml bottle of infused olive oil before burning another half gallon of fuel to get half a mile home.

They then follow this with an extended rabbit on their smartphone to their chums saying how they really must meet up for a coffee tomorrow at the most DARLING little cafe they spotted earlier.

Stereotype?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Good skate park and the cafe by the bridge is good for mid roadie ride coffee.

nick1962
    Free Member

Todmorden’s way cooler.

+1
    Tod keeps it real.Sadly it’s still missing “Out in the Sticks”

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

too cool and you’ll get a load of SUV-driving yummy mummies persuading their rich husbands to move there. Property prices through the roof,

It’s been well-documented. From Lord Hereford’s Knob (CSI Ambleside – Half Man Half Biscuit):

As I camped out one evening to take the midnight air
    I heard a maiden grieving from somewhere over there
    Who is it you are mourning
    For whom do you wear grey
    She said I pine for no one, I just can’t pay my way
    Ever since the chattering classes invaded Hebden Bridge
    And priced the likes of me and mine
    To the pots of the Pennine Ridge
    To South East Wales I was forced to flee
    And now I have no job
    That’s why tonight I’m sitting on top of Lord
    Hereford’s Knob

RustySpanner

Hebden is just trying way too hard:
    Too many trustafarians, teenage alcoholics, the wrong drugs and self inflated egos.

Tod? You’re confusing cool with rigor mortis.

Cliviger is where it’s at these days.
    The depth of intellectual debate round the bar of the Kettledrum on a Friday night would have Roland Barthes shaking in his wellies.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Anyways, my pokey little town of Frome is in at number 6 on their list.

Happy with that 🙂

binners

Aaaaaaaaaah…. the genius of Half Man Half Biscuit. Nice one TM 😀

fubar
    Free Member

Tod is definitely ‘on the up’, I think it even has a coffee bar type place !! Cliviger sounded familiar but I had to check where it was; Turns out that great metropolis is where I often turn around on my out and back road rides – how did I miss it !

RustySpanner

Turns out that great metropolis is where I often turn around on my out and back road rides – how did I miss it !

You were probably dazzled by the bright lights and sophistication. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Are you sure you don’t just mean ‘Hebden Bridge, the coldest place in Britain’?

RustySpanner

Nah, the coldest place in Britain is platform 2 on Victoria Station in Manchester.

Scientific fact, that.

binners

The Coldest place? Have you not been to Oldham?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Wettest, not coldest.

Apart from that, I find all the cliches very tired and inaccurate, but I suppose that’s the point…

piemonster

‘Salreet there. Birds are a bit hard to chat up though…

Well, it made me laugh.

RustySpanner

Fortunateson09 – Member
    Apart from that, I find all the cliches very tired and inaccurate, but I suppose that’s the point…

Which cliches?

woody2000

If Hebbers is the coolest place to live in Britain, then this country has gone utterly, utterly mad.

Dave
    Free Member

Cliviger? Would be okay without the racists ;o)

RustySpanner

Dave – Moderator

Cliviger? Would be okay without the racists ;o)

Eh? 😯
    Go on, what have we done?
    Only been here six months, not encountered any dodgyness so far.

Anyway, have you ever been in the Duke of York in Tod? 😐
    (Shudders…..)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Was Stoke on the list?

Houns

If that place is cool I don’t want to ever be cool

binners

The fact that you’re on here would probably negate any concerns on that front 😉

Houns

😀

portlyone

Chorlton [cum-Hardy] got a mention too. I like to think I helped in my own way. 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

They then follow this with an extended rabbit on their smartphone

What? They’ve got a app for this nowadays…

hora
    Free Member

Chorlton got a mention? Seriously wtf. Its rampant suburbia. Hebden has alot of houses with half-mouldy dishevelled curtains hanging from condensation covered-windows with half broken down old T4’s outside.

**** right off. These journo’s really should stop tapping phones and get outside into the world.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Hebden Bridge – The Coolest Place in Britain’ is closed to new replies.