• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by kcr.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heatshrink tubing on bars.
  • Ambrose

I’m considering fitting a bar bag for a little trip coming up. To avoid scuffs from the straps I was wondering if perhaps I could use heat shrink tubing as opposed to pvc tape.

Has anyone else tried this?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not tried it but he aware that heat shrink can come with, or without adhesive lining.

You could consider self amalgamating tape.

I’ve considered a ring of heat shirt to secure bar tape each end on a gravel bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, amalgamating tape is easy and would do what you want I used to use it as chainstay protector. Start it overlapping one full turn, then wrap like bar tape, then tuck the last turn under before pulling it tight and trimming.

Although again, PVC tape would also work fine surely? Or if you want something tougher just use quality cloth tape (you’ll need sticky stuff remover to clean up after though).

Northwind

It just sounds like extra hassle tbh, self amalgamating tape works great and is super easy, cloth tape likewise. Even electric tape can do teh job though it has much less rub resistance

smudge
    Free Member

being tubing it’s best slid over were it is to be used, You could try adhesive lined heatshrink tubing or risk it slipping, not as cheap as normal heatshrink tubing. Depends if you want it to look 👌 or just doing its job compared to pvc / self amalgamating tape wrapped.

Ambrose

It’s just for a week long trip, TBH I hadn’t thought about using bar tape. That’s probably the best way.

kcr
    Free Member

I like helicopter tape for protecting against strap rub. Sticks well, easy to cut different sizes or shapes, more durable than PVC tape or bar tape and easy to remove.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM