Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Heart Rate Monitors
  • Royston
    Free Member

Took mine out with the MTB today, as I was interested in how much work I do in comparison to the road stuff. Couldn’t use the speed/distance as the fork arch blocks the signal. but over 2.5 hours my average HR was 154 which is 85% of my max HR. I’m not really sure if this means I’m pretty fit (well what can I say!) to sustain that level over that period or the complete opposite I commute on my bike and swim 2km at least once a week so I’d like to think that I shouldn’t be to shabby. I was definitely fatigued after 90mins (much sooner than on the road, but then I’d expect that) and sort expected the average to drop off as I got slower with tiredness but it stayed around the same (it was 156) at around 60mins. To be honest having it there was a bit of a distraction at times and I stuffed a few bits which are usually sweet! Does anyone else use one regularly when out on the MTB and what are your experiences. Cheers! Roy

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

I have a Polar CS100 with chest strap. I am 43 and have my limits set at 130bpm (lower) and 155bpm (upper). Typically when riding for 1.5 hours I end up with only 15-20 minutes within range, 5 minutes below, and the rest is above. On occasion I get above my theortical max of 177 but only for a few moments – the most I have hit sporadically is 181. I stopped worrying about it after a few months of not dropping down dead.

I find I have to really slow down and relax to get it down to a consistant 150, and TBH I no longer really bother.

Marv

UncleFred
    Free Member

I have a HRM that I use for Training. Used to use it when racing as well but now I just find it distracting and I feel I perform better going by how I feel rather than what my HR is.

Jase
    Free Member

There is no way anyone can advise if that means you are pretty fit.

If those 2.5 hrs were spent going up welsh mountains then you are probably pretty fit.

If they were going along flat fire roads at 8mph then my 5 year old daughter is fitter than you 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Heart Rate Monitors’ is closed to new replies.