Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset top cap binding on headtube?
  • martinhutch

I’ve got an acros integrated headset, and have been having trouble with it binding under any sort of preload. Bearings are fine. I think the headset top cap itself is binding down on the headtube, I can preload the headset perfectly fine if I replace it with a conventional spacer.

It’s possible I’ve dropped a shim out of it at some point, but I don’t remember it coming with any. Is there a way of using a generic shim to lift it up slightly, or do I need to contact acros?

nixie

Some headsets have thin shims. Hope make some. I’d imagine they may be available as spares. I’d still talk to acros first though or look on any exploded diagrams if there are any.

martinhutch

Cheers – now looking at the replacement headset online, I reckon there’s a bit missing.

martinhutch

Actually, the bit I thought was the missing shim on their image was in fact…the crown race. Who knew they were included with a headset? 🙂

I’ll speak to Acros.

lovewookie

one of these should help lift the top cap up a bit

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-Micro-Spacer_106078.htm

wheelsonfire1

Kinetic do packets of shims too – sometimes it requires more than one to lift the top cap enough – alternatively, bike shops usually have them in workshop stock

martinhutch

Thanks all. Just wanted to mention some excellent customer service from Acros – got a detailed answer back very quickly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset top cap binding on headtube?’ is closed to new replies.