Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Headset removal without the tool?!
  • jekkyl

I’m gonna try this today, frame in a work stand and using a small piece of copper water pipe tap around the edges of the cups until they pop out?! my reasoning is the copper pipe should be soft enough to not leave any mark on the headset so I can sell it afterward. I’m only changing it to install the correct colour.
    Then installation of a new one with a threaded bolt through some sqaures of plywood, socket on the bottom & tighten the top with a spanner, nice n slow so I can align the hope logos correctly. 😀 do you reckon B&Q would sell threaded bars?
    any tips?

scotroutes

If you have copper pipe and a hacksaw then cut and splay it to make your own “rocket” tool.

I use B&Q threaded rod for my own headsets.

Stick the cups in the freezer for a while before fitting.

teethgrinder

B&Q sell threaded bars – Not the cheapest for the washers and bolts you’ll also need, but then you probably don’t need 100’s of each like you would get from Screwfix.

B&Q also sell long screwdrivers, hammers and blocks of wood 😈

jekkyl

good idea scotroutes but I’m lacking a workbench & vice so it would be a right faff.
    B&Q DO sell threaded bars, for pennies: http://www.diy.com/departments/ffa-concept-steel-m10-threaded-rod-l1000mm/254170_BQ.prd

nickjb
    Free Member

Tapping it out like that works fine. Just keep moving where you hit it and watch the gap so it comes out square. Sort of the same for putting it in. The thread should pull it square but you need to watch it to make sure it stays square and occasionally recentre it

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

in the past i have used a 19mm socket on the end of an extention.

Rest the lip of the socket on the internal lip of the head seat and tap tap tap.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s much easier with the tools. One tap and the headset is out, and refitting is about as difficult as turning a door handle

Stevet1
    Free Member

There’s a proper tool for removing headsets? who knew!

Northwind

Stevet1 – Member

There’s a proper tool for removing headsets? who knew!

Yup- rear axle from a ’00 Suzuki SV650, and the Hammer of Thor that you stole off your grandad, perfect.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You mean old 25.4 seatpost hammer at the end to form a lip then sliced to splay the legs?

Yep it exists. In my basement

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean old 25.4 seatpost hammer at the end to form a lip then sliced to splay the legs?

That’s a good idea!

I tried making a headset press out of threaded bar, but it slid around and threatened to put the cups in non-square. It needed some sort of tapered plugs to centre in the headset.

brakes
    Free Member

I made a press from B&Q threaded bar – it lasted for a while but the threads gave up eventually.

I’ve also tried to make a splayed pipe style remover a few times and it has never survived more than a couple of wacks with a hammer. A metal drift or a screwdriver always works.

scotroutes

I tried making a headset press out of threaded bar, but it slid around and threatened to put the cups in non-square. It needed some sort of tapered plugs to centre in the headset

Works If you’re slow and careful. As above, it akso helps if you freeze the cups beforehand.

tjagain

Threaded bar works fine – I use wood tho for the washers so as not to damage anything and so the cups bite into them and don’t move around

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkY879pMafE[/video]

but they’re only £15 anyway…

and

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGfvO-ztoT4[/video]

a bit more, probably best option is here as there still don’t seem to be many 1.5 inch ones around :

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cyclus-headset-press-tool/aid:22688

If you are near Woking in Surrey you’re welcome to come round and borrow mine…

Splash-man
    Free Member

Try Toolstation for the threaded bar, you can buy it in single 1m lengths pretty cheap.

Northwind

Oh yeha, I have a proper headset tool, and some threaded bar, but I use this:

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Metal curtain pole works as well and costs peanuts (about 2 quid) from a local hardware shop. Even better if you already have some.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Headset removal without the tool?!’ is closed to new replies.