Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • headset: anyone do a 44 to 1 1/8 reducer?
  • thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Hi, despite much googling I can’t find what I’m looking for. Got a 44m headtube and 1 1/8 forks.I’ve got a zero stack headset in and i want to run an external bottom cup to raise the front end a little. So I’m either looking for a 44mm to 1 1/8 reducer or a 44mm to 1 1/8 headset with external lower cup. Phew hope that’s clear. Anyone know where I can get such a thing? Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just get a 44mm external lower,for 1.5″ and use a hope crown race reducer to use your 1 1/8 fork.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

I run the same setup on my Genesis Latitude, you need hope pick n mix lower cup H, with the hs136 adapter, upper cup is 2 if you want that too.

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Awesome chaps!!! So is the crown race reducer just a fat crown race?

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Yeah, sort of. You could also try the nukeproof 44iess for a cheaper option, can’t comment on reliability though, I got the Hope and it’s still perfect after 18 months use.

davewalsh
    Free Member

The headset adaptor is basically a spacer that presses onto the steerer to increase it’s diameter to 1.5″, allowing you to fit the 1.5″ crown race.

Personally if your top cup is ok, i’d go with the hope option above, however if you’re on a budget and your current headset is completely knackered then nukeproof do a cheaper option, the 44IESS.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-44iess-headset-2014/rp-prod85842

^^ edit: beaten to it ! ^^

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Cool guys, thanks again. I’ve got the nukeproof 44 no stack at the mo but I think I’ll go for the hope option for this . Cos it’s prettier!

Thanks!!!

ajt123
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t get that nukeproof one. Rubbish.

MPart [Madison’s component division] do a much better one [they use an oversize crown race so it fits their standard 1.5 bottom cup.

Sealing is far better, and you can actually get replacement bearings. Good luck trying to get them off of hotlines. . .

ajt123
    Free Member

Get this one:

MPart Elite X44 headset

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘headset: anyone do a 44 to 1 1/8 reducer?’ is closed to new replies.