• This topic has 252 replies, 118 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by devash.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 253 total)
  • Have we had a Dune thread yet?
  • IdleJon

When Paul and his mother are lost in the dessert,in the book this is a big change in power between them and she starts to fear what he will become.They just skipped over this in the film.

They didn’t want to over-egg the pudding. ;D

fasthaggis

🙂 Lost in Spice

footflaps

LETN have just brought out a Dune inspired T shirt!

I’ll hopefully be getting one for Xmas…

https://www.lastexittonowhere.com/catalogue/atreides_15412/

Drac

Seen it this afternoon, absolutely beautiful, good to concentrate on the story and still a bit bonkers.

Klunk
    Free Member

mashr

I’m sure it’ll be great (and I’ll be in the cinema watching), but I didn’t think that’s the greatest trailer? I’m sure there’ll be 1 or 2 more before release though

chakaping
    Free Member
    FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the trailer was really good, can’t wait…

IHN

I’m sure it’ll be great (and I’ll be in the cinema watching), but I didn’t think that’s the greatest trailer? I’m sure there’ll be 1 or 2 more before release though

Yeah, I’d agree with that

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be great (and I’ll be in the cinema watching)

I’ll be in the cinema just because I saw the first one but I’m expecting to be similarly underwhelmed.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Is anyone else reminded of Garrard from Peep show?

Drac

Looking damn good. It’ll be the last trailer i watch as just a nice level of tease.

devash
    Free Member

I had to have that Peep Show test done a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely horrid experience.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thought the trailer was a bit meh. Not bad, just meh.

Loved the look and cinematography of Dune 1, but I’m a total fan boi of the book and knew what was going on.

I can see how the hard of thinking and ADD types that don’t like to pay attention would think it was crap without the knowledge that is inferred.

I mean. Sci-fi battles with swords? Where’s the ‘pew-pew lasers’?

fasthaggis

Excellent,excited 😃

johnhe

I can’t wait. I love the book, and thought the (new) movie was absolutely awesome.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Barry Norman on the Lynch film: The only film where the hero rides into battle on a worm.

garage-dweller

I can see how the hard of thinking and ADD types that don’t like to pay attention would think it was crap without the knowledge that is inferred.

Well about time that those of us with an attention span greater than the time it takes to blink were given something to watch.

Watched 6 Underground the other night. Dreadful and I say that as someone who generally likes a bit of flippant Ryan Reynolds ott crazy nonsense to eat some sweets to.

chevychase

Looking forward to this. Love the book. Really enjoyed this film version.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Watched 6 Underground the other night. Dreadful and I say that as someone who generally likes a bit of flippant Ryan Reynolds ott crazy nonsense to eat some sweets to.

I couldn’t actually watch that. I could feel myself getting stupider and turned it off!

bigrich

I find James Macavoy almost unwatchable. Ever since he left Early doors. Shameless!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Dune 2 release delayed until March due to Hollywood actors and writers strikes. ☹️

fasthaggis

Arsebiscuits 😠 😡

kimbers

damn you Hollywood ! May thy knife chip & shatter

johnhe

I can’t wait for Dune 2. I was totally spell bound in the first one. I love the books, and was really impressed with the way they brought everything to life. It was like a sci-fi dream right on the screen in front of me. I especially liked the casting. But the graphics were equally fantastic imo.

If I wanted to nit- pick, I’m sure I could find things which I felt were rushed, or not exactly as I’d pictured them. But that’s the same (imo) with any film adaptation of a book. I think I’ve watched the move about 4 times now, and I could easily watch it again tomorrow. Totally enthralled.

The book gets a bit weird towards the end, so I hope that they can manage to portray the book well, without surrendering too much to Paul’s messiah weirdness.

Klunk
    Free Member

Oh my, the worms coming out of the storm !

Ambrose

Oh my word. I have rewatched the first part over and again. Bring on part two 🙂

argee

Yeah, can’t wait for the finale, would’ve been out by now if the writers strike hadn’t have happened, what’s the run time on part 2 anyway?

JonnyC
    Free Member

2 hrs 45 m from what I’ve read.

garage-dweller

Bring it on. I might even go to the cinema for that.  🙂

TheDTs
    Free Member

I read the book while on holiday in the summer in prep for part 2. I watched p1 without having read the book and felt it needed better context. My eldest also read it and we watched the p1 together when we got home. I feel this May be a father daughter cinema outing. Excited. 

myti
    Free Member

I read the book while on holiday in the summer in prep for part 2. I watched p1 without having read the book and felt it needed better context

Same although not quite finished reading it. Must get on with it before March 1st!

13thfloormonk

BUMP

Saw Dune 2 on Tuesday, was blown away!

In retrospect and discussing with my co-worker this morning, I guess you could criticise the different pacing of the movies and somewhat inconsistent timelines etc. (as well as more obvious departures from the original book timeline which I never noticed anyway as it’s been a while since I read it)but I didn’t really notice this at the time.

Either way, it just felt like a bombardment of epic spectacles and noise, by the final scenes I was dangerously close to letting out a good ol’ U.S of A ‘**** yeah!’ in the middle of the cinema 😂

Read some interesting articles this morning about how difficult it might be to take the franchise much further, made me realise I can’t even remember if I’ve read Messiah or not, but will definitely be picking up a copy at the next opportunity, just to see what Villeneuve might have in store for him.

onewheelgood

The Guardian thinks that taking the franchise further might be tricky https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/dune-movie-part-two-book-messiah

Having just re-read the first 3 books, I can see their point.

nickc

I watched it and while I think it was a decent enough stab at the central storyline of Dune, I was disappointed by the bits that Villeneuve decided to leave out; The Court Intrigue, The Mentats (weirdly entirely missing after Part One) and yet again, the space guild, I get why he made those choices, but for me; it robbed the whole thing of some richness. I like that it swerved the white saviour trope that it so easily could’ve fallen into, and the parts on Geidi-Prime were pretty cool, but again, lacked some of the body-horror that’s implicit in the book.  It was entirely too long, and most of that was repeat shots of things like Arrakis in the morning, Arrakis at sunset, Paul and Chani on top of a sand dune, People walking in sand; dull filler. The battle scenes were cool, the gladiator fight was cool, the art direction is cool, the costumes are very cool. There’s absolutely something to write about the depiction of the female characters, but you can largely leave that at  Herbert’s door

I’d give it 4/5

argee

I enjoyed it enough, but it still had issues for me, the timeline tinkering made me think we’d have a time jump, that never happened, the North/South thing was a bit of a mess for me as well, how long would those sandworms take to get to the south, the storms stopping the enemy, when they have spaceships that could go over them, etc, etc.

Biggest grumble was the change in Chani halfway through, it felt a bit OTT and she came across as a grumpy teenager rather than someone seeing subtle changes, think all of this is probably down to the rushed timescales, a bit like Game of Thrones at the end when everything happened way too fast.

IHN

Have skipped past the the latest comments above for fear of spoilers as I’m off to see it at the IMAX tomorrow, can’t wait. Rewatched the first one last weekend, had forgotten how good.

The Guardian thinks that taking the franchise further might be tricky https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/07/dune-movie-part-two-book-messiah

Having just re-read the first 3 books, I can see their point.

I’ve read Dune, and loved it, but none of the others as I was told on here, maybe even in this thread somewhere, that the rest of them were a bit rubbish anyway. And, to be honest, there’s too many film franchises so not having another is no bad thing

dyna-ti

as I’m off to see it at the IMAX tomorrow

I saw it at the imax yesterday. It’s very very very very loud.

Still feels short though. I know trying to transfer any top class book from paper to screen will always make it seem like something is missing, or maybe because it is quite long, its character depth thats missing.

Not really a spoiler, but they’ve left it open for sequels.

twistedpencil

I saw it the other night on IMAX, there is a lot missing, but I think you’d need a third and fourth film to really cram all of Dune into a film series. Really enjoyed what was presented, but would have loved more Fremen story set within the city before the major battle.

I was tired going into the film, the first quarter of the film I grappled with needing rest but it kicked on hard and really grabbed me, a nice change from normally drifting off in a dark room, I’m getting old 😀

Dune Messiah will be a perfect way of wrapping up this story arc. I really enjoyed the book, but the change of pace from a revenge story to one of the intrigues of power will be interesting to see.  I have every confidence in Villeneuve to pull this off.

13thfloormonk

Still feels short though. I know trying to transfer any top class book from paper to screen will always make it seem like something is missing, or maybe because it is quite long, its character depth thats missing.

I think it’s interesting, they maybe had a choice of very thorough, canonical, well paced, or just OOMPH!

They went with OOMPH! and I very much enjoyed the experience as a movie, others could quite legitimately want for a more evenly paced thorough retelling.

In a perfect world perhaps we could have a directors cut, one for OOMPH and one for accuracy (running to an extra two movies 😂)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 253 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.