Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)
  • Have we had a Dune thread yet?
  • lambchop
    Free Member

I loved the David Lynch version. No one can say Muad’Dib like Everett McGill or Usul like Sean Young.

The new one is okay, it looks great but little Timmy is a bit of a weed isn’t he?

Flaperon

Is this one of those films that doesn’t make sense if you haven’t read the books?

Mackem

Saw it last night.
    I’m a fan of the David Lynch version, this one was a bit hit and miss – thought spent too much time in his visions. Thwy conveyed the bigness of things very well. Was disappointed when it finished, and was ok for it to be “Part One”. Feels like it might have been a wast of time when I read it’s not yet definite there will be a part two.

baboonz
    Free Member

You’ll be able to follow it if you haven’t read the book. Although it makes more sense if you have.

desperatebicycle

Is this one of those films that doesn’t make sense if you haven’t read the books?

I’ve said twice now that I haven’t read it! Or seen any of the other films…. and it made complete sense to me. How someone who has read the book can say it makes less sense to someone who hasn’t I do not know!

nickc

No, not at all, it’s a straightforward story of betrayal and revenge. My partner also has no experience of Dune either the books or the Lynch film and she got it straight away.

nicko74

+ Denis Villeneuve, so should be excellent
    – Timotheeee chalameeeet, so will be unable to enjoy Villeneuve’s vision

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They did seem to be very discreet in mentioning it’s half the story. I mean it’s just called Dune, not Dune 1 or anything. Maybe they were worried not enough people would see it to justify making the next one if they only thought it was half the story.

I await the Michael Bay version, that’ll be faster paced, maybe with The Rock as Paul.

desperatebicycle

Apparently it does say “Dune: Part One” on the title card. I guess that’s the screen at the start that shows the certification? Didn’t notice it myself.

vinnyeh

interesting reading this thread. Until now I thought I was the only person in the world who liked the David Lynch film

nickc

C’mon, after all, who doesn’t want to see Sting in winged underpants?

zilog6128

Apparently it does say “Dune: Part One” on the title card. I guess that’s the screen at the start that shows the certification? Didn’t notice it myself.

yeah I’m sure it does – it definitely doesn’t on any posters, adverts or indeed the cinema marquees that I’ve seen though! So you don’t know until you’ve actually paid your money and sat down to watch (half of) it 😃

Anyways, this thread has of course got me hankering for some good old Dune II action! However despite being the daddy of RTS games I’m sure the original would be so frustrating as to be unplayable these days – clicking on EVERY guy individually to get them to move or attack etc.

Have any nerdy fans recreated the game but with some modern touches? Indeed they have!! Lots of them! Found almost a dozen projects in fact, and settled on Dune Legacy as it’s basically a 99% finished re-write of the original game, but with more commands/hotkeys/unit groups etc à la C&C, plus runs in hi-res – and some optional tweaks including proper fog-of-war & multiplayer!

It’s great, spent a while playing it last night – even managed to compile & run it natively on my Raspberry Pi 400 for more of a retro effect 🤣. DUNE. LAND OF SAND 😃

johnners
    Free Member

No, not at all, it’s a straightforward story of betrayal and revenge. My partner also has no experience of Dune either the books or the Lynch film and she got it straight away.

Or, as I saw it described the other day

“Teenager and his mother put on skin-tight onesies to go on a journey together, all the while drinking their own bodily fluids”

chakaping
    Free Member

Going this week, quite excited.

🙂

Kato

Saw it last night. Loved it.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing coming from the group sat next to us though so I guess it wasn’t what they were expecting

does indeed say Part One on the title card

Kato

I preferred a Max Von Sydow Leit-Kynes though.

this was balanced out but the fantastic Ornithopters

desperatebicycle

does indeed say Part One on the title card

👍 nice confirm

shermer75
    Free Member

I loved it, thought it was amazing. Absolutely gutted when I found out they haven’t even started filming part 2 yet

sobriety
    Free Member

Seeing it tonight, I’s excite.

slackboy

Watched it today, thought it captured the essence of dune really well and i enjoyed it a lot.

Slightly worried for the sequel as that covers it the parts where the book gets a really *weird*

Liked the way the mentats and doctors were marked out as  “supra-human”.

The thing that irked me was the use of lasers in a couple of sequences.

It looks great, but if you’ve read the books you’ll know there’s a *really* good reason why noone in the dune universe uses them.

weeksy

Just back from it, I enjoyed it.

myti
    Free Member

Saw it at imax. Loved it. Never seen the other film or read the book but tempted to read it now.

Kato

That’s great news.  2023 is a long wait

rone

Fantastic. Sci-Fi in the cinema like I haven’t experienced in years.

What amazing world building and scene setting.

So, so good.

Hans Zimmer score as always a massive part of the film.

DV is an incredible film-maker with real attention to detail, and gives the audience credit for being intelligent.

9/10 for me. As pure a cinema experience as I’ve ever had.

Just a shame it was left hanging. Make it 4hrs and be done with it.

sobriety
    Free Member

I enjoyed that, visually great, sound was great, characters were great. Ended just as it really got going.

Should have been called “Dune: Fellowship of the Spice”

I can’t wait to see what they flesh out with the director’s cut.

batfink
    Free Member

Watched it at home in 4K with my noise cancelling headphones on – loved it.

I’ve never read the book. I think I have watched the 1985 film at some point – but have no real memory of it.

Visually spectacular (but in a way that felt very natural)
    the “world building” was very good – they got the wierd combination of futuristic/ancient civilizations bang-on – not sure how much of that is described in the book vs: defined by the director.
    Great casting, and really great performances. The way that Rebecca Ferguson played her role was a bit inconsistent, but…. well, I’d happily watch 3 hours of her doing the crossword.
    Soundtrack was amazing.
    I thought Chalamet was good as the young prince – again, good casting. Easiest gig Zendaya ever had! Although I assume she is the co-lead in pt 2.
    Story was great – you were able to understand what was happening without anything hugely contrived to try to explain what was going on.

I’m going to watch it again in the next few days I think….. can’t remember wanting to do that for any films in recently (edit: Tenet and Greyhound last year)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The thing that irked me was the use of lasers in a couple of sequences.

It looks great, but if you’ve read the books you’ll know there’s a *really* good reason why noone in the dune universe uses them.

Lasers are most definitely used in the book and the resulting thermonuclear explosions are used as a strategic deterrent.

Watched it on Monday. I thought it was great. Thinking about going to see it again tbh.

The arabic wailing was sometimes a bit jarring and seemed unecessary but I understand they were using it to highlight pivotal moments of Paul’s awakening that would otherwise be hard to spot.

Plenty of politics and culture cut out to make it work and Thufir Howatt seemed to have a tiny film part compared to the book.

The plot line following the Atredies suspicions of each other would probably have been too much for a modern audience on top of everything else.

shermer75
    Free Member

It looks great, but if you’ve read the books you’ll know there’s a *really* good reason why noone in the dune universe uses them

What’s that then?

shermer75
    Free Member

Just a shame it was left hanging. Make it 4hrs and be done with it.

Same! Would have been happy with 5 tbh. Looking forward to the double bill

shermer75
    Free Member

Has anyone seen it in IMAX? I’m thinking about watching it for a second time

twistedpencil

Just seen it in the IMAX and really enjoyed it. May possibly go and see again, but will definitely adding to the 4k blu ray collection…

IMAX experience was great IMHO. I thought the film was really well handled, but I would have happily sat through another couple of hours of that world to bring in more from the book, the intrigues in the House of Atredies could easily have swallowed up an another hour that I’d have welcomes.

Looking forward to the greenlit part 2!

slackboy

It looks great, but if you’ve read the books you’ll know there’s a *really* good reason why noone in the dune universe uses them

What’s that then?

This:

resulting thermonuclear explosions are used as a strategic deterrent.

When laser hits a shield it causes a massive (nuclear style) explosion.

In the butlerian jihad prequels, lasers weren’t used as they were too inefficient and the interaction between shield and laser was discovered by chance and kept massively secret.

desperatebicycle

Has anyone seen it in IMAX? I’m thinking about watching it for a second time

Someone on page 2 had.
    I saw that there’s a 3D version at a nearby Cineworld. Wonder what that’s like!

roger_mellie

I haven’t read the book(s) or seen any previous films.

It is visually very lovely.

A bit ponderous though. Too much ‘Let’s hold the camera on the actor’s face and crank old Hans Zimmer up to 11 to REALLY EMPHASIZE this particular point’.

Dragonfly copters look very fragile.

Chappie’s love interest has naff all to do other than look over her shoulder a lot in the dream sequences.

When young lad leaves his home planet, why are all the space ships parked under water (I have since learnt why, but I didn’t get that from the film).

I’d watch part 2, but not sure I’d bother watching part 1 again.

roger_mellie

How did you manage that then?

batfink
    Free Member

How did you manage that then?

HBOmax and a VPN

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Watched it last night on the telly. Was quite good. Think it would have been better on the big screen with surround sound. The David Lynch version was better but part 2 may bring it up to match the original.

roger_mellie

HBOmax and a VPN

Ah, I see. Cheers.

nickc

why are all the space ships parked under water (I have since learnt why, but I didn’t get that from the film).

Which sort of makes no sense really as they’re spaceships; they need to be able to withstand either an atmosphere of one or an atmosphere of nil, so building them so that they can be parked underwater…But watching them slowly rise up was pretty cool, so I’ll call it evens

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.