Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Have we done the cyclist’s airbag gilet?
  • TomB

Vid Here Of a prototype airbag jacket at the consumer electronics show. Gut feeling is that most serious cycling injuries are catastrophic head trauma, but interested in what the hive think of this……

matt_outandabout

Yeah, cos we all fall off at 5mph onto smooth surfaces in a managed roll…

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm, just because the demo is of a gentle fall, doesn’t mean that’s all it’s been designed to cope with, does it? If you watch the vid there’s a test of a dummy being flung onto a car bonnet at fairly reasonable speeds.

SaxonRider might’ve appreciated one of those!

IdleJon

If you watch the vid there’s a test of a dummy being flung onto a car bonnet at fairly reasonable speeds.

But not a real person..

DezB
    Free Member

Full body bubble-wrap is the only way to feel safe.

dissonance

Seems quite limited area of protection. Also bit vulnerable to being triggered.

larkim
    Free Member

The principle seems to work for motorcyclists, so no reason why protecting your core couldn’t be beneficial (when accompanied by protecting the head too). Whether the price / comfort of it means you’d want to invest is a different matter.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

4/5 respondents in our “survey” so far aren’t blown away…

It is something, better than nothing, protection against broken ribs or spinal damage, might be worth it.

It is, of course, still failing to recognise the real problem.

butcher

Gut feeling is that most serious cycling injuries are catastrophic head trauma, but interested in what the hive think of this……

Wasn’t there an airbag helmet doing the rounds a while back? Presumably the technology can be used to protect any part of your body. I’m interested in how/if it works.

IHN

It would have saved me a lot of pain when I was hit a few months ago. That was only slow speed, but I landed flat on my back on the tarmac, hard, and it really, really, and I mean really, hurt.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It is, of course, still failing to recognise the real problem

The real problem is you’ve more chance of proving the existence of God than fixing the route cause, which is lots of people are idiots, all road users are people, so lots of road users are idiots.

As for the product in question, if it works great, so long as it stays optional.

DezB
    Free Member

I landed flat on my back on the tarmac, hard, and it really, really, and I mean really, hurt.

I did this many years ago – my Camelbak stopped it from properly hurting… but the multitool in my jersey pocket had other ideas.

antigee

….sub editors all over the world are already adding “and the cyclist wasn’t wearing an airbag gilet” to their driver had nothing to do with it shortcuts

Harry_the_Spider

I wonder if it could be incorporated into a Camelbak type backpack. For commuters it would have to be compatible with carrying a bag.

Also, what is the cost of an “accidental discharge”? From the looks of the low speed fall it is quite sensitive.

It does however take responsibility away from the driver. Should they be fitted to school kids too?

DezB
    Free Member

It does however take responsibility away from the driver.

Maybe they should be fitted to the exterior of cars.

cookeaa

Gut feeling is that most serious cycling injuries are catastrophic head trauma…

Well there are already products intended to protect against head trauma and there’s a few quite handy organs housed in your torso so I don’t see why you wouldn’t consider protecting it also, DHers have worn body armour for this very reason for some time…

aweeshoe
    Free Member

I’ve worn one for horse riding, they’re much better than the solid alternative as they allow for more movement and are lighter. The downside is that it’s easy to trigger accidently and the price

trailwagger
    Free Member

I did this many years ago – my Camelbak stopped it from properly hurting… but the multitool in my jersey pocket had other ideas.

This is why I never carry my car keys in short or jersey pockets, but I see plenty of folks at trail centres stuffing them into pockets ready to stab themselves when they fall.

avdave2

my Camelbak stopped it from properly hurting… but the multitool in my jersey pocket had other ideas.

So you put soft squidgy water in the pack and a very hard lumpy piece of metal in a pocket against your back?

fossy

Won’t work. Having crash tested a car turning across me, much like that video, the deceleration forces broke my spine – snapped before I hit the ground – no amount of padding would of stopped that. Might just save you from a few bumps, but we all know, it’s our sticky out bits that get busted – shoulders, elbows, wrists.

SaxonRider

SaxonRider might’ve appreciated one of those!

I wondered that, but I think my principal injuries were sustained as a result of the transfer of forces from my head (which was protected by the helmet) to my neck. I don’t think that a wearable airbag would have helped much.

But I could be wrong…

medoramas
    Free Member

**** me, 1:05 into the video proves full-face helmets is what we really need for town riding…

IHN

Won’t work.

in every scenario, obviously.

For some situations, like mine, it would prevent a very painful injury. You can’t write it off because it won’t be effective for everything.

avdave2

the deceleration forces broke my spine – snapped before I hit the ground

Just how fast do you have to decelerate to do that? I’d of thought slowing fast enough to do that without impact to your spine would result in brain damage and massive trauma to your internal organs.

DezB
    Free Member

So you put soft squidgy water in the pack and a very hard lumpy piece of metal in a pocket against your back?

Weird, I know – but I didn’t go out riding with the intention of riding in front of a VW Golf going 40mph. The water was to drink and the tool to fix things. Duh!

IHN

And just, you know, for the sake of pedantry and my sanity, it’s “would have“, “I’d have thought”

sideshow
    Free Member

I know this is basically a road cycling forum but is anyone interested in the offroad potential?

I’m not going to be an early adopter, keep me away from the newfangled stuff but if it catches on, is scientifically proven to be effective and becomes reliable cheap tech it could be a great substitute for overly hot downhill armour I never wear if I have to ride up.

Beagleboy

That poor dummy needs an airbag for his face. Even though it’s a dummy, I was still wincing!

PrinceJohn

Maybe a leat style inflatable neck brace would be a good idea, inflatable elbow & knee protectors too?

This just looks silly.

matt_outandabout

I know this is basically a road cycling forum but is anyone interested in the offroad potential?

Only if I can repack and reset it 5 times a day myself…

dissonance

but is anyone interested in the offroad potential?

How easily it was triggered is a bit offputting.
    It might help but if the reason you crashed was because it triggered going over a bump it might not make you feel much better.
    It also seems limited in the area of protection. Okay for landing on something flat but less so offroad. Its hard to tell but doesnt seem like the spine is specifically protected but just has the strips either side.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the cyclist’s airbag gilet?’ is closed to new replies.