Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hate helmets? Try this.
  • nstpaul

Airbag helmet…

Airbag Helmet

aP
    Free Member

A former colleague has been using one for about 5 years. Never had to activate it.

oldnpastit

How effective is it against low hanging tree branches?

chriscubed

Would be fun if it could detect the tree branches, inflate, deflate and repack afterwards, I’d buy that

willard

Loads of them in use around Stockholm. Always makes me laugh when I see people on their e-scooters with those and their big headphones on. Still, I guess they will come off quickly enough when they activate.

Apparently they work really well.

dyna-ti

If it activates when the body is at an angle, beware when tying up your shoelaces.

Nice idea, but too much a gimmick.
    That said, maybe as a backup to save a standard expensive lid from being smashed. In certain settings, racing,offroad etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting that this (presumably) works by retarding deceleration, the main theoretical argument for helmets…

But its detractors focus on overhanging branches etc, which aren’t as dangerous by a long way.

butcher

The only time I’ve hit a tree branch is with a helmet on, and only because I’ve had a helmet on and massively misjudged the size of my head.

These things have been about for a while but I guess it’s easy to be sceptical about the technology. Would be interested in knowing more about how they work.

sobriety
    Free Member

They look really good, but not £349 good compared to a helmet.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m sure I saw them dong really well in an independent test recently, actually appear a really good idea.  Only question is goggles or glasses?

Rubber_Buccaneer

but not £349 good

Jesus, that’s £150 more than an A3!

Poopscoop

Clever stuff.

Can’t just be angle of helmet/rider that activates them…must detect sudden deceleration/acceleration or such?

No doubt it’s on their website but I can’t be asked to look.😁

Are they reusable if not damaged, after the explosive gas charge or whatever is replaced? That would make them a little more “economical “.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and 2018 wants it’s helmet news back

feed

I’d have needed three of them on today’s spin 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t just be angle of helmet/rider that activates them…must detect sudden deceleration/acceleration or such?

Might be more useful if it detects zero acceleration.

curto80
    Free Member

You have to remember to switch it on, it doesn’t work if the battery runs down and you can’t take it on a plane. I’m out.

willard

Let me put some context around the target market for these…

They are not for people that commute on a gravel bike in all weathers, or that go to trails on a full sus 29er. They are for people that live in the city, have far too much disposable income and want to commute a relatively short distance without messing up their expensive hairdo. These people will, if male, be on a single speed and (if female) be on some sort of basket-fronted city bike.

The people that use them want the safety net of a helmet, but realise the use of one is statically small, even in the city, so don’t want to have a helmet. As they are expensive, they are also a way of telling people you have the spare cash to buy one.

In 18 months of cycle commuting every damned day through Stockholm (even in winter, which was cold), the above is true. People that commute by bike on proper bikes use a proper helmet. People that wear too short trousers and no socks, or spend more on their hair each month than I do on a new rear mech, wear one of these.

curto80
    Free Member

Yeah exactly

tjagain

When these first came out I looked at the research. they are much better than a conventional helmet. far lower accelerations on your head, much reduced rotational forces

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hate helmets? Try this.’ is closed to new replies.