Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Has the last couple of years made you less tolerant of people?
  • darthpunk
    Free Member

You know, people being d***s, has lockdown made you almost hope for the comet to wipe us out based on the actions of people now?

I won’t stoop to using the “he was drving a….” stereotype, but it wasn’t an Audi or BMW. It was however a mid 50’s gentleman who parked his big 4×4 at the front of the trolley shed (for want of a better description) in Sainsburys car-park with a pastie hanging out of his face, walked over to the trolleys and dumped his rubbish in the trolley, got back in his car after standing on the accelerator when getting in and going on his merry way.

I mean come on, he probably bought it in the shop and passed at least 3 bins on the way back to his car but made a special trip to dump his crap in a trolley?

After already been elbowed by some guy on a path today (a cycle path before anyone thinks I was doing wheelies along a pedestrian precinct) then shouted at that “all cyclists were scum” then trying to square up for a fight , it’s been a day for a Thanos finger click.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nope, I’ve always been intolerant of people like that.

MoreCashThanDash

Probably more tolerant of people generally – I have no idea what they might be dealing with.

But dickheads like that can just **** off

lamp
    Free Member

No, I’ve always been intolerant of d1ckheads, selfish, rude, aggressive and self entitled people.

To address your point though, yes the lockdowns have made the prospect of mixing with people like we both describe quite off putting. Personally, I have no desire to be around swathes of other people, I have no real desire to go to a pub or a restaurant.

Maybe I have become more anti social, but I’m more than happy with my close circle of people a d I’m happy staying away from people full of hot air and all that unnecessary noise that goes with it.

mboy
    Free Member

Probably more tolerant of people generally – I have no idea what they might be dealing with.

Good point, well made… I’ve found myself arguing with friends recently over how intolerant they have become, just before another mutual friend then committed suicide as he couldn’t cope! Made some of them feel a bit stupid to say the least!

But dickheads like that can just **** off

Also this… Not sure telling him would have achieved anything for the OP though mind! Some people are just incredibly entitled, and you will never win an argument with them because of it! 🤷🏻‍♂️

dannyh
    Free Member

Has the last couple of years made you less tolerant of people?

What the **** has it got to do with you?

fossy

I just ignore them. Had some crack head on the outskirts of Rhyl shout something at me as I passed this morning. I was going too quick on the road bike to hear him. It’s not like you can ever square up to anyone when wearing road shoes, especially carbon ones.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I made the observation that 51% of the UK population is not really worth engaging with,this is not a class thing i run into as many dickheads at all levels including anti vax, its just the flu, Boris being a dishonest **** is fine, Brexit is brilliant and i could go on.

I like many on here have retreated from any form of interaction with the 51%.

dannyh
    Free Member

I like many on here have retreated from any form of interaction with the 51%.

Ditto. **** em. Let them each cake.

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely more intolerant of some of the **** on STW. Surely someone can make a killfile by now?

cloggy

No, but then I avoid facebook….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m intolerant in general, nothing to do with lockdown. I’m definitely getting worse too.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m certainly trying to be more tolerant but i am constantly being tested. This morning was a good example as “oblivious man” sat in his Range Rover with the engine running for the entire time our children attended football training, presumably to keep warm.

I hit my 40’s and became Victor Meldrew – lockdown has given a different perspective as it invariably only affects me and mine.

CountZero

More or less, I do work with a few people who just will not properly locate cars when they take them to a storage area, despite it being a really simple thing to do, but it’s been happening for the three years I’ve been doing the job, and it’s been different people over that period.
    T’was ever thus.
    But my own personal circumstances recently have proved that most people are caring, and have just been lovely.
    Thank you all.

Spin
    Free Member

The pandemic has made me less tolerant of intolerance.

I found the pitchfork wielding groups getting torn in to individuals for any perceived infraction very difficult to deal with.

househusband

Maybe its getting older, or that combined with events since last March, but I have become more comfortable with my own company (and appreciating the dogs’ company) so perhaps I have become more misanthropic… still work with children for the day job though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

What is this ‘people’? And should I bother?

I’m mostly happy with small pleasantries at the supermarket checkout. The rest is either me escaping/dodging appalling driving/drivers when on my bike (attempting to get away from car), or dodging appalling mountain bikers and runners when on my feet (attempting to get away from everyone, even myself)

They say that ‘no man is an island’, but I’d go with peninsular.

🥁

toby1

hope for the comet to wipe us out

I’ve always been like this. This situation has just given me more of a reason to not want to go to populated places. The only real reason for going out and interacting is with people who make/sell good food/drink, the rest can do one!

Bunnyhop

My ‘trust’ of people has diminished somewhat over the last year or so.
    The breaking of rules for a few, to suit them and just having no care or consideration for others has definitely made me less tolerant.

However ‘most’ people I know and especially my friends are wonderful.

I’d gladly ship my adjoined neighbours off to an island to do their ‘own thing’.

martinhutch

It’s more a rising sense of disappointment, rather than intolerance. The comforting illusion that the majority of people in this country are tolerant fair-minded and rational has evaporated since 2016.

Bye bye to my own ‘British exceptionalism’ delusion…

nickc

it’s been a day for a Thanos finger click.

I’m intolerant of folk who’re intolerant.

lamp
    Free Member

paulneenan76 – it is this ‘small’ kind of thing that really irritates me. Not only is it unpleasant for anyone walking past inhaling in all the fumes, but the fact that kids are in the area too compounds it. In my experience, people like this who are oblivious (or usually ignorant) as to why they shouldn’t do it will probably also use their mobile whilst driving (despite Bluetooth being ubiquitous in all cars over the last few years!), drive erratically and have an inflated opinion as to how important they are!

There is a reason why stereotypes exist and RR drivers do absolutely nothing about changing it! 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m intolerant of folk who’re intolerant of people who are intolerant.

If you want to be intolerant of absolute **** then crack on, if you want to pretend the **** who littered his pastie wrapper in a trolley is doing it because he has hurty feelings then things must get complicated when making up other peoples back stories.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhh

I’ve concluded that despite rule #1, most people are dicks.

Just look at this forum.

“Should I buy a new car for making prgress”

“What cryptocurrency should I buy”

Just look after number one and f*** everyone else. I’ve run out of tolerance for keeping my mouth shut. But at the same time run out of energy to argue 🤷‍♂️

matt_outandabout

I think I have become more chilled and understanding that I don’t know everyone’s motivation and what is going on in their life. Initially therefore I am more tolerant.

I am however less tolerant when folk demonstrate a lack of awareness of Rule No.1.

footflaps

I’m not really sure the last two years has changed anything, e.g. selfish / intolerant people were selfish / intolerant before, during and will be ever thus after etc.

Same old, same old.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m not really sure the last two years has changed anything, e.g. selfish / intolerant people were selfish / intolerant before, during and will be ever thus after etc.

It hasn’t changed the people but what has changed is that I don’t need to be so close to them. I love working from home, social distancing and all the other side effects of the pandemic meaning I don’t have to tolerate people as much.

lovewookie

I’ve noticed that, those suspicions you could live with about folk you know being a bit of an ass occasionally. the last year or so has put that character trait full front, on social media. One of the reasons I came off facebook last year was because of opinions.

generally though, I’m just as intolerant as before.

hatter

Yeah, my long-running general assumption that most British people were basically intelligent and decent took a massive, existential hit in 2016, I have a much much shorter fuse when dealing with deluded nonsense now that is has actively undermined my childrens’ futures

Ironically, despite being much more picky about the company I keep, I’m as sociable as ever, just lucky to have found a good crew/bubble/echo chamber I guess.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’ve concluded that despite rule #1, most people are dicks.

True. And that’s mostly because Rule #0: Dicks are always other people

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have definetly noticed my fuse shorter and getting frustrated easier.

I think its a combo of lockdown and getting older…

rhinofive

I’ve got no time for people who can’t use a lawnmower safely……

….I’m lacks toes intolerant

DezB
    Free Member

And that’s mostly because Rule #0: Dicks are always other people

And, right, Rule #1.1a: people who think you’re a dick are always the ones you think are dicks!
    And vice-versa 😀

leffeboy

It’s a huge mix (as above).  I’m aware that the last year has been hugely difficult for me so I assume it’s the same for a lot of other people. It hasn’t hit me financially so that is a real blessing but the combination of that and the rest of the changes in the world has removed a lot of the stability that allows us to weather storms

So, Im more willing to try and be tolerant because everyone is under pressure but my capacity to do so is also reduced.

duncancallum

Always been intolerant and my self i am probably intolerable myself.

So I moved to a house with no neighbour’s

I can be a judgemental dick here all on my own

doris5000

I just ignore them. Had some crack head on the outskirts of Rhyl shout something at me as I passed this morning. I was going too quick on the road bike to hear him. It’s not like you can ever square up to anyone when wearing road shoes, especially carbon ones.

tbf if he was an actual crack head, his life is probably a complete misery compared to yours. Just shrug and forget about it

reluctantjumper

I can absolutely say Yes.

I’ve taken the time this last year to reassess a lot of my relationships with other people and have had a serious cull, including a few life-long friends and some family. It’s amazing looking back at how much crap I’ve taken from people purely down to having known them a long time.

For the general public I am definitely less tolerant of people when in busy places like shops and really struggle with seeing people do utterly moronic things and not saying anything. Maybe it is my age (just turned 40) or something more fundamental but I’m really struggling to see how the human race can survive with the levels of idiocy around me.

Is it wrong that I want the quiet streets and half-empty shops back? Was so much more pleasant.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really, but I have got increasingly intolerant of **** who sit in their cars with the engines running – especially outside the school or in the car park at trail centres or beauty spots.

And when the weather is perfectly fine, neither cold enough for the heater or hot enough for AC.

I **** hated them to start with TBH.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Has the last couple of years made you less tolerant of people?’ is closed to new replies.