• This topic has 34 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by MSP.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Has anyone used one of the 3D-printed / adaptive / whatever saddles?
  • BadlyWiredDog

I’m intrigued by the latest crop of 3D-printed saddles. They seem to get rave reviews from testers, but the horrendous prices – most are £300 or more – mean they’re not really something I’d buy on a speculative basis.

That said, if they are as good as claimed and durable with it, they might just be ‘worth it’. And yes, I get that ‘worth it’ is a moving target, I suspect a 3D-printed saddle becomes a distinctly more attractive purchase after a hundred miles or so day with a less than optimal seat.

So, has anyone here actually used one? Which? How does it ride? And how durable does it seem to be? Worth it or not? Is it the utter game-changer the brands would have us believe?

Was tentatively offered the loan of one for a couple of weeks, but that seems to have fallen through, unfortunately as I’m curious.

MSP

I have seen some reviews which suggest the cheap aliexpress knockoffs are nearly as good. I was thinking of getting one of those to a least try out the concept. 300 is a price I would be willing to pay if it meant I could cycle for 100’s miles in buttock cradling bliss. But not if it is only a negligible improvement.

I have been running spesh power saddles for a few years now, but just recently they don’t seem to be providing the comfort they used to.

BadlyWiredDog

300 is a price I would be willing to pay if it meant I could cycle for 100’s miles in buttock cradling bliss. But not if it is only a negligible improvement.

Yeah, that’s pretty much my position. I don’t normally think too hard about saddles, but the Fabric Scoop wotnot on my cross/gravel bike recently started giving me gyp. I think it was basically knackered after thousands of miles over the last five years – the hull had gone properly flexy compared to a new one – so it currently has the Line that was on my road bike, which is fine, but given that I need a new saddle for one of them, I’m 3D curious.

IHN

I’ve never found a saddle that’s any better than ‘not especially comfortable but fine I suppose’, so I’m tempted by a punt on one of those thirty quid ones from Aliexpress.

13thfloormonk

Tredz had a bit of a deal on the Specialized Power Arc Pro Elaston saddle which is apparently comfier than standard. I’m waiting to try it once I’m back on the bike, replacing an otherwise very comfortable Fizik Antares but hoping the curvier shape of the Power Arc supprots my low back better.

That said the only saddle I’ve ever found ‘hard’ is the Selle Italia Flite Boost which is otherwise good, I just end up with quite bruised sit bones after 3-4hours. I’ve got the Endurance model sitting waiting to be fitted which is noticeably better padded…

I’ve been through soooooo many saddles in recent years though, in general most issues are shape rather than padding, and even then I think most issues are me and not the saddle! If you’re spending money to resolve single sided discomfort I think the rule of thumb amongst bike fitters is that it’s not the saddle, it’s you 🙄

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve never found a saddle that’s any better than ‘not especially comfortable but fine I suppose’, so I’m tempted by a punt on one of those thirty quid ones from Aliexpress.

Shout if you do. Would be interesting to see one in the flesh. 

Fwiw, I get on well with Fabric Scoops – Radius on the mtb, shallow on the cross bike – or the Fabric Line, which is basically the same saddle but with a central, pressure-relieving channel. Now rebranded as Cannondale after they bought the brand. Not particularly expensive and very comfortable for me (unless you ride one into the ground it seems…)

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re spending money to resolve single sided discomfort I think the rule of thumb amongst bike fitters is that it’s not the saddle, it’s you 

Saddle too high so you’re rocking to one side maybe?

oceanskipper

My biggest problem is chafing (I use a cream which helps a bit but I’d rather there was none) – sit bone comfort is generally fine on rides of up to 4hrs on a Specialized Power. Anyone found a saddle that eliminates chafing? Will the 3D ones help do you think.

BadlyWiredDog

Anyone found a saddle that eliminates chafing? Will the 3D ones help do you think.

My guess would be that there’s something wrong with your position on the bike / saddle height / the saddle you’re using is too wide / the shape doesn’t suit your butt etc. The classic, if the chafing is on one side, is that you’re compensating by leaning over and this is causing friction in that spot on one side only. Not saying some saddles aren’t more suited to different individuals than others – clearly that’s not the case – but if there’s something basic wrong, even the best saddle can only do so much.

The touted benefit of the 3D saddles is that they can be printed so there’s variable levels of cushioning in different areas of the saddle for optimum support and, as I understand it, a sort of memory foam-type effect where the padding is kind of dense but also yielding at the same time, so better support and cushioning. It all sounds quite attractive, hence why I started this thread, but I guess the problem is that without trying one, it’s hard to know, though tester reviews all seem quite positive. 

My take, so far, is that the right-shaped 3D-printed saddle is potentially likely to be more forgiving than and identically, right-shaped saddle with conventional foam/construction, but I’ve not come across much comment on longevity, which would be kind of important on such an expensive item. I did read an article about one of those mad, multi-day Audax-type things that said around 50% of the riders were using 3D-printed saddled, in some cases, the saddle was probably worth more than the bike it was bolted to…

oceanskipper

Position on the bike should be OK as I’ve had a bike fit. I have sit bone measurements as well and my initial inclination was that a narrower saddle might be what’s needed. Narrow ones seem to be very racy and therefore not much padding. I tried a Sell Italia in their narrow sizing but it was no better and I’m hesitant to go too narrow. I’ve tried a Specialized Power and Power Arc (which had potential because of the longer drop around the edge at the widest part but it didn’t seem any better. I’m very tempted by a 3D Specialized Power…

BadlyWiredDog

I’m very tempted by a 3D Specialized Power…

Post back if you do get one. I’m vaguely tempted. I get on pretty well with the Nukeproof Horizon Enduro saddle I fitted purely because it has a very low stack height, but turned out to be really comfortable for me and that’s quite a similar shape. 

MSP

Did anyone bite the bullit and buy one?

radioactivekid

Yeah, I got the one Mattyboy linked above.

Night and day difference, it felt weird for a bit as I couldn’t really feel the saddle under me (the point I suppose)

Hardtail mtb so bouncing around a bit.

Think it ended up costing £50 delivered, cheap enough for a gamble?

Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone tried the plastic based one? Bit nervous of the carbon rails

oceanskipper

So I tried a 130mm Specialized Power Expert with Mirror (which is the 3d version) and chafing eliminated! I’ve done two 60 mile rides on it with zero chafing problems, however it’s not quite as comfortable sit bone wise as the standard Power Expert it replaced, it may just need a couple of mm adjustment…

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/power-expert-with-mirror/p/1000148806?color=1000148808-1000148806

kcr
    Free Member

As another alternative, Tioga have been making various versions of their Spyder saddle for some time. This is a moulded plastic mesh that flexes to give some suspension. I’ve used one on a road bike and found it quite comfortable, but as with all things saddle related, that’s just my personal experience.

IHN

Yeah, I got the one Mattyboy linked above.

Night and day difference, it felt weird for a bit as I couldn’t really feel the saddle under me (the point I suppose)

Hardtail mtb so bouncing around a bit.

Think it ended up costing £50 delivered, cheap enough for a gamble?

Worth saying that for that kinda price you can get a UK-sourced one from eBay, so you get some buyer protection (apologies if you get buyer protection on AliExpress, I’ve never used it)

codybrennan
    Free Member

Reading all of this with interest, as my old-guy Prostatitis seems to have had a bit of a flare-up in the past couple of days after a vigorous road ride the other day.

MSP

I have just ordered one of the ali express ones, seems to be much less choice for the 155mm wide ones, wouldn’t have minded also trying a 168 wide one but couldn’t find any of those (other than the spesh power expert mirror).

Also got a selle smp vt30c ariving today.

So hopefully in a few weeks I should be able to give a comparison of a couple of saddles that are meant to be more comfortable than traditional designs.

Flaperon

Anyone tried the plastic based one? Bit nervous of the carbon rails

Carbon fibre is probably one of the few things I’d trust from China.

BadlyWiredDog

Reading all of this with interest, as my old-guy Prostatitis seems to have had a bit of a flare-up in the past couple of days after a vigorous road ride the other day.

My mate has ongoing prostatitis and an e-bike. He has one of those specially hideous SMP saddles and loves it. He’s the grumpiest, pickiest person I know, but has never complained about his saddle, so it must work. No idea which one it is, but is absolutely hideous in terms of both shape and colours.

I don’t have prostatitis, but am a recent convert to SQlabs saddles for soft tissue relief. Never did try a 3D printed one 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks BWD.

Which SQLabs model did you go for?

Aidy
    Free Member

Anyone found one with a 130mm width and metal rails? (SLR shape seems to work for me)

BadlyWiredDog

Which SQLabs model did you go for?

I started off with a basic 611 on my cross/gravel bike, really liked it, but found the front section a bit wide, so I’ve swapped that onto my hardtail and bought a 614, which is the narrower road bike shape but with the mountain bike level of padding, which isn’t that much, but that suits me.

For me it just seems to work. It’s not super, sofa plush if that makes sense, all your weight is very definitely on your sit-bones and it felt a little odd for the first couple of rides, but now I’m used to it,  it just feels right. The 614 has the active technology stuff, so the rear of the saddle pivots slightly as you pedal. I wasn’t particularly fussed about this, but coincidence or not, the first time I rode my full sus after a while, my lower back gave me proper gip.

I know saddles are properly personal, but what I like about the SQlab stuff is that it’s been done very thoroughly using proper research and the central relief scoop does seem to do exactly what it’s claimed to – you need to measure sit bone width then follow the guide on the site for correct saddle width choice depending on your riding position.

For the road, the 612 is what they suggest, but as above the 614 with slightly more padding, is the same shape. If there’s a downside, it’s that there’s very definitely a sort of sweetspot where you sit, so if you’re someone who moves around a lot in the saddle, that might be an issue I guess.

That said, I ran an Fizik Arione on the road for years, which is a very long saddle designed to allow different seating positions and I really don’t miss it. I have Bontrager Aeolus on my road bike, which seems to work pretty well too, though it’s early days.

Northwind

IHN

Worth saying that for that kinda price you can get a UK-sourced one from eBay, so you get some buyer protection (apologies if you get buyer protection on AliExpress, I’ve never used it)

Aliexpress buyer protection is awesome tbh, it’s really buyer-focused and fast. You have to jump through a couple of hoops, much like ebay, and you always have to deal with the buyer offering you tiny refunds first but once you’re through that it’s very buyer biased.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope if it breaks and slices you open and you want to sue, mind you.

codybrennan
    Free Member

SQLabs 614 ordered. Will report back….

MSP

I was going to try a SQlabs saddle, but I appear to be over the weight limit (by an embarrassing margin) and I was really disappointed in the quality of the sqlabs pedals.

scaredypants

I use those “specially hideous SMP saddles” on my road bike – look like they’ll split you in two but actually very comfy IME.  Mighty expensive, mind.

@13thfllormonk did you ever try my old one?

13thfloormonk

No… (embarrassed emoji ☹️) I was content enough with my Fizik at that stage and resolved to stop experimenting. Very much appreciated however!

Let me know if it needs posting on somewhere 😎

Northwind

Has anyone ever found one of these that doesn’t have the centre cutout (or has it covered?) QUite interested to try one but I’ve never got on with those

R.lepecha

I have ordered what at least is advertised as and shown as a 3D printed saddle with metal rails from Temu.

Apologies this link probably bombards you with popups saying you’ll save a fortune etc.

https://share.temu.com/NQQeTksWfeA

Should arrive in a couple of weeks, I will feedback when it arrives.

13thfloormonk

I’ve done 3 short rides on a carbon railed Ali Express Power Arc knock off. Will update my own thread on it but apart from looking very well made (to my completely inexpert and non-X Ray vision) it has thus far failed to snap or creak and the manufacturing tolerances seemed OK (I’ve had carbon saddles in the past where the oval rails didn’t seem to sit very well in a carbon railed specific seat clamp, the AliExpress one was a perfect fit).

It wasn’t the 3d printed one though it was the EVA foam one, was worried it felt ‘too’ soft (softer than equivalent Specialized Elaston EVA foam) but my sit bones don’t seem to notice.

v7fmp

@MSP can you share a link to a 155mm saddle you ordered. I am curious!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM