Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Has anyone given up on using social media?
  • Yak

I have deleted my strava account. It wasn’t healthy. Feels good. Not sure what happens with it though. Do some folk suddenly get new KOMs? Dunno. I don’t think I had that many in the end anyway.
    Facebook might have to do one, but there’s too many things to do with kids groups on there, and same for Instagram. Eventually they can both do one too.

matt_outandabout

Sorry to read that Matt, you weren’t in the wrong there

I doubt I was.

It is symptomatic of too much time online on needless things.

Houns

I can agree with you there, so far today I’ve spent hours dossing on the internet instead of cracking on with my Uni reading

kennyp
    Free Member

FB is a handy thing for organising bike rides, walks etc. And for being in various groups about things I’m interested in. Never really been able to understand the “My life is so much better since I deleted Facebook” idea. Guess it depends how you use it.

Don’t use Twitter or Instagram. Nothing against them, just never felt the urge to join.

This place is my main social media use though. I even use it for bike related stuff at times (yeah, controversial, I know!).

Strava is good too. Been a long time since I chased any KoMs but is very handy for storing what I’ve done. And I like seeing what friends have been doing.

Oh and not sure if it’s really social media, but I do love YouTube. So much brilliant, useful, useless, trivial, interesting, obscure, niche, funny stuff on there.

Poopscoop

I only run FB and Twitter on webpages on the mobile. I WILL NOT install the app and I turn all notifications off.

I only want to go on it when I wish to, I don’t want all the prompts.

STW is the only social media I really do. It’s by far the least toxic.👍

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I’d love to bin off FB! But annoying my cycling club organise EVERYTHING on there.

IG I can take or leave.

Twitter is hillarious! They’re nuts

DrP

I’ve one twitter follower..my dad.
    May as well text him… (TBH i haven’t used twitter for YEARS).
    I like insta – mostly used for looking at what mates are up to, getting jealous at awesome adventures people have been on, and every now and then the algorithym sends a snap of a sexy cycling girl my way. winner!

DrP

Poopscoop

b230ftw
    Free Member
    It can be just as toxic on here as FB so don’t start thinking it’s that much different.

I just don’t see it. If it was I wouldn’t be on here often at all and I certainly wouldn’t pay for the privilege.

This place is like an sun drenched, serene island in the south Pacific in comparison to the toxic mess that Twitter and fb can be.

jp-t853

STW is currently my only social media.
    Never had Facebook or Twitter
    Use Instagram for posting pictures but I was in the habit of just scrolling for no reason so deleted it a few weeks ago and it was no issue at all
    Linkedin I never really got the point of but I am on there but not logged in for months

I think it is surprisingly easy to step away in most cases

Cougar

STW of course. Don’t kid yourself that it’s not social media, it’s a medium we’re talking to each other on.

Facebook I’m probably using more than ever these days, but like a lot of SM it boils down to quality control. I purged all my “friends” who were people I might’ve met once or people from (say) school who didn’t say two words to me when I was there let alone now. I’ve joined a handful of groups dedicated to hobbies and interests. People who randomly send me friend invites get ignored if I don’t know them. Comments on pages that turn out to be nothing more than a constant stream of tired old memes and clickbait get blocked. The last thing I ate isn’t my weapon on a zombie island because I’m past puberty, get a grip and stop encouraging this brain-dead shit half of which is social engineering. Result is, it’s pretty good. It’s a common denominator to keep in touch with friends from differing social circles.

I’m an old lag on Twitter. I kinda lost interest with the demise of Tweetdeck, I had a feed for friends and a separate one for everyone else so I could keep track of personal stuff and dip in and out of the background noise. Also I never really found a replacement Android client I liked.

Instagram I never bothered with because I didn’t see the point, it’s USP seemed to be “upload your photos and we’ll make them look shit for you!”

I’m on Discord but rarely use it as it’s just one more time sink. I probably should revisit that TBH.

Cougar

Oh yeah, LinkedIn. Probably shouldn’t have bothered, seems mostly to be full of narcissists desperately wanting to find out how you can benefit them. Putting the word ‘manager’ in my job title was the worst decision I ever made, I got spammed to death by recruitment parasites.

Cougar

Speaking of self-promoting narcissists,

I also have a blog. Sort of. I’ve ridden shotgun on a mate’s blog and written some words, the first article of which was spun from an STW discussion. You can find it here should you care. The concluding part is imminent.

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone given up on using social media?’ is closed to new replies.