Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Hankering for a burger…. but veggie
  • Premier Icon allanoleary

What do the vegetarians on here recommend? Got a proper urge for a burger so looking for the best taste, texture and general satisfaction but without the meat

Premier Icon gingerbllr
    Free Member

I had one of those beyond meat burgers the other day – got them in Tesco. Pretty spenny at £5 for 2, but tastes and looks and cooks like a normal beefburger. They are on another level compared to any meat substitute stuff I’ve tried. Suitable for vegans.

Premier Icon sc-xc

I haven’t tried them yet, but if the Richmonds meat free burgers are as good as their meat free sausages, they’ll be nice.

Trick is to go heavy on garnish/relish/cheese

Premier Icon PiknMix
    Free Member

My go to is this.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chickpea-coriander-burgers/amp

Not like the texture of a meat burger as I don’t like meat substitutes, but they are very tasty.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I haven’t tried them yet, but if the Richmonds meat free burgers are as good as their meat free sausages, they’ll be nice.

Oh. Not seen those. Mrs Routes will be very interested to find out if we can get them locally. Their sausages are, indeed, lovely (speaking as a carnivore).

Premier Icon Kip

I’m a fan of Linda McCartney’s Mozzarella burgers.

Premier Icon sockpuppet

I make these for our in-house veggies. Black bean & feta burgers!

They really do make a good burger. Though nothing like fake-meat. Just tasty in their own right.

Baking the black beans for a few minutes first to dry them & to get some of them to “pop” does make a difference. As does adding a good squeeze of bbq sauce!

I bake them for ~20-25 mins once made, they freeze really well, though they don’t then bake straight from frozen.

Premier Icon grahamt1980

The moving mountains stuff is really good too.
    Their meat free hotdogs are tasty

Premier Icon chrishc777
    Free Member

Moving mountains and Beyond are the ones if you want meat substitute

Mccartney mozzarella burgers are about the only thing stopping me going vegan though, especially on a BBQ, up the woods on a wild camp they are amazing

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Linda McCartney are great for the money.

Moving Mountains are lovely, quite pricey though (although probably comparable to none scrotum/arsehole constructed meat burgers)

Premier Icon northshoreniall

The M&S own brand plant kitchen ones are pretty decent. Wife is Veggie but I happily eat these ones if no meat ones in the house.

Premier Icon DougD

Linda McCartney Mozzarella Quarter Pounder or the Meatless Farm ones are pretty decent veggie burgers

Premier Icon rossburton
    Free Member

Another vote for Beyond. One of the few alternatives that has the texture of a proper burger.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Another vote for Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Linda McCartney are great for the money

+1 . They are great full stop and we always go back to them. get the regular Linda’s frozen 1/4 pounders in my opinion, the mozzarella adds little in flavour although they still taste nice. Just add your own cheese if you want cheese, or plant substitute.

Last week tried co-ops chilled ‘Gro’ burgers. One of the best textures out there. Better than the Beyond burger IMO.

In all honesty the Linda Macs are brilliant.

Also IMO meatless veggie burgers are usually under-seasoned so I make an umami paste to take them to taste levels.p which make me smack my lips.

In a cup put a splosh/tblspn or so of balsamic vinegar, teaspoon garlic powder, half teaspoon honey, syrup or sugar ( I use stevia powder), shake of soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, some mustard (I use dijon) plenty salt and epper. Mix together well. You’ll ideally have a strong brown paste.

Leave burger out to defrost a little (30 mins) then baste burger with half a teaspoon of paste.

Cook in pan or oven. I like oven on greaseproof to firm them up. Add refined coconut oil if you like.

Turn halfway and repeat baste on other side. Poke with fork if you want the flavour to go in. Cook 5 mins longer than instructions.

Serving:

We have a local Waitrose so use Make No Bones vegan brioche buns (£1.30 for 4, iirc)

If you prefer to eat dairy just get regular brioche.

Split and toast the buns and fry lightly in pan (either dry pan or next to burgers)

I usually serve with caramelised onions and mushrooms on burger, with some mayo and ketchup, dill, leaves. Sometimes just go for the chopped fresh onions, tom slice and dill pickle slices

Premier Icon james-rennie

If you can find a Temple of Seitan shop, give it a try, wow, filthy, dirty, hangover-comforting, coma-inducing deliciousness. As good as the naughtiest grease-laden oil-dripping meat burger you’ve ever eaten.

Temple of Seitan

edit- this is take away or delivery food, not something for cooking at home.

Premier Icon beamers

Another +1 for Beyond Meat. They BBQ really well too.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

I love burgers like LOVE them hands down favourite meal on the planet. Beef lamb venison whatever get it in me aslong as its quality any topping aslong as its not lettuce and tomato (just put them on the plate and let them also be delicious, not all warm and soggy).

If you want a saucy dirty burger the LM mozzarella ones do work well for than. But there are so many more options worth having instead of trying to make a meat burger.

A fair few of the spicy frozen bean/lentil burgers are great with mango chutney and a fried egg. Portobello mushrooms with blue cheese etc gives juice and flavour with a not meaty but meaty experience. Stacking halloumi with harissa and min yoghurt.

P7eaven will be along shortly to dole out advice.

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Beyond, Moving Mountains and Co-op Gro (refrigerated, not the frozen ones) all tie for top spot of the meat-substitute cook-at-home vegan option. Tesco Wicked Kitchen jalapeño ones are also good.

The Greenhouse in Fleet’s takeaway Meatless beats them all hands down though. Their Smoked Bean and Chick’n ones are also amazing. If you’re near Fleet, check them out.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I’m a fan of Linda McCartney’s Mozzarella burgers.

I’m on the fence with them. They’re very fussy with the cooking. A minute either way and I think the box probably had a nicer texture. They’re also a bit bland (not unlike an under seasoned meat burger though).

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

P7eaven will be along shortly to dole out advice.

Oops 😶

Portobello mushrooms with blue cheese etc gives juice and flavour with a not meaty but meaty experience.

+1. Portobellos are amazing. Often have that instead of a veggieburger. Or on top of. Decent plant option for blue cheese is the Violife Greek white block, just don’t grill it as goes back to oil in no time at all!

Also sometimes make some crispy/chewy sweet, smokey shiitake mushroom ‘bacon’ strips to go on top of burgers, (BBLT!) they’re really good but you need a lot of mushrooms as the slices shrink to little (super-tasty) morsels! King oyster (thinly sliced) works too, with less shrinkage. Shiitake tastes better for a really baconish flavour. Prepared correctly, they taste like of a cross between mushroom and bacon.

A minute either way and I think the box probably had a nicer texture

Literally never had that problem with Linda Macs 🤔 Always found them really juicy and I don’t strictly time them, just check the oven to see if the juices are there. Maybe you cooked on a high heat? Or maybe my taste-baste is the bombiggety bomb!

Premier Icon slowol

The Linda ones are good. We’ve also had the Aldi spicy bean burgers a few times recently. They’re not a meat substitute style but good for mid week lazy freezer food. Bean and vegetable patty in a crispy crumb sort of burger. Good with chutney of coleslaw etc. in the bun. The veggie fingers in the same range are edible but pretty bland. Probably add some crunch to a sandwich but otherwise go for the burgers.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Oops 😶

I don’t think you had posted when i started on that post. Got distracted.

Premier Icon stevious

I could easily be persuaded that Beyond Meat was a big scam and that it’s actually meat.

The Tesco plant kitchen ones aren’t quite as convincing, but they’re about half the price. They hit the spot enough for me to get them instead of meat (I’m not veggie).

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Dirty plant burger night:

Linda Mac 1/4lb veg burger (with sweet umami baste) topped with
    Applewood smoky vegan cheese slice
    Caramelised sliced onion
    King oyster mushroom bacon rashers https://plantbasedandbroke.com/easy-vegan-mushroom-bacon/
    Homemade burger sauce (mix well in cup: 2 x heaped dessert spoon vegan mayo, 2 x teaspoon mustard, 1 x dessert spoon tomato ketchup, add 1 x teaspoon garlic powder, 1 x level teaspoon dried dill OR finely chopped fresh dill, OR 1 x teaspoon of chopped dill pickles)

On ‘Make No Bones’ brand vegan brioche bun

Side salad with vinaigrette and Engevita B12 savoury yeast flakes
    Chips (cocked up here as had crinkle cut to use up) prefer french fries or med straight cut for burgers but any will do.

Premier Icon Northwind

Beyond are decent as long as you’ve got realistic expectations. I did not- I fell for the hype, thought it’d be a real meat substitute so it tasted of nothing but disappointment, and I judged it by what it’s failed at not for what it does well. They say “you won’t believe it’s made of plants”, well I definitely did believe it’s made of plants.

But second time round I knew what to expect and enjoyed it more for what it is, ie, a high quality plant but obviously not meat burger. I like that they cook so much like meat, that’s handy.

Co-op Gro are kind of similar but more so. In a weird sort of a way I almost preferred it since it’s got less of “really wants to be like meat but fails at it” and a bit more “just a nice plant burger”. I mean I’ve never judged a chicken burger harshly for not being exactly like a beef burger.

Premier Icon peekay

If you are not avoiding dairy, then I think that a thick slab of halloumi done on the BBQ or grill can act as a good substitute for a meaty burger. As can a large Portobello mushroom (smear some almond/peanut butter on the hill side before cooking).

Dress either in a bun with some crisp lettuce and preserve/condiment of choice. Or even combine both the mushroom and halloumi in the same bun. Yum.

Premier Icon Cougar

I’ve not had the moz. burgers because I can’t eat cheese, but I’ve generally found Linda McCartney stuff to be acceptable at best. The country pie things are tasty but need to be about three times the size they are.

If you feel like cheffing, these are damn good (though I sub out black beans for kidney beans):
    https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-grillable-veggie-burgers/

Premier Icon marcusbrody
    Free Member

Another vote for Beyond Burgers. They’re a bit sensitive to being cooked correctly, but if you you, I’d place them as good as a decent but generally mediocre hamburger. I like mine with a good bun and cheese, avocado, and a fried egg on top.

Premier Icon savoyad

Aldi no beef (frozen) are surprisingly amazing.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

but I’ve generally found Linda McCartney stuff to be acceptable at best

I’m split down the middle. Not keen on the pies and sausages and so don’t buy them, but do really like:

Veg 1/4 pounders (no cheese)
    Veg mozzarella 1/4 pounders (same as above except with mixed with cheese)
    Frozen sausage rolls

I’ve found two things about a lot of burger patties:

1. They don’t plump up firm unless a certain internal temperature is reached during cooking. Maybe to do with methyl cellulose? Or chickpea flour etc? Beyond meat is the most obvious here, it really needs to be cooked through. I recently tried their Brat sausage and was honestly startled at how ‘meaty’ textured it was.

I then tried the burger and whilst it was sort of like a Lind Macs 1/4 pounder in taste, it didn’t seem as firm/plump so maybe needed more heat. I liked both. But Linda Macs are £2 or less and packed in cardboard. While Beyond burgers are a fiver and packed in plastic.

2. They tend to be a little or a lot under-seasoned. I understand this to a degree as punter’s tastes vary but you’d think if making meaty-favoured burgers then umami flavours would be a factor? That would be like making a dessert without sugar.

At the very least I always baste with a little balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, a touch of sweetness and good amount of salt and pepper. I also like flame grilled taste so will add a touch of smoked paprika.

If caught out at a BBQ party without my seasoning kit then a smear of BBQ sauce and sprinkle salt and pepper before cooking is easily achieved. I’ll do that if nothing else available.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

caught out at a BBQ party without my seasoning kit

3. Don’t tell people about that

4. Don’t use the word ‘umami’ in real life around real people. (See also pronouncing of the words ‘Paris’ or ‘Barcelona’ correctly. Although ‘Worcester’ is acceptable. Always pronounce ‘Worcester’ correctly)

5. Don’t let them see your umami kit. Use an internal pocket, sealable container and a quiet corner of the garden.

6. Wouldn’t Hendo’s and butter be a decent burger baste??

Premier Icon paton
    Free Member

“you won’t believe it’s made of plants”
    that is possibly something to do with FBS Fetal Bovine Serum or Platelet Lysate or hyper-processed or ultra-processed psuedo-food

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Bingo card opened. Not a bad run.

FBS Fetal Bovine Serum or Platelet Lysate

Either you’re a militant meat-eater looking for threads to take a swipe at the silly dumb vegetarians/plant burgers? Or are militant vegetarian/vegan and paranoid/rightly concerned (delete as applicable) about food companies being dishonest re ingredients ? Maybe you would show your full hand. At least tell which veggieburgers are allegedly using those animal products

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Ding ding ding! We have a winner (wiener..?)! 😂

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Loads of ideas on here, what I’ll add is that the Burger king Rebel burger was amazing !

Not doing it now though.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

@brads, any idea if/when Burger King are doing that in the UK again?

Premier Icon ThePilot
    Free Member

As others have said, Beyond Burger is definitely the most meaty.
    Naked and Glory are good too and quite a bit cheaper.
    Both vegan and palm oil free.
    Many contain palm oil including Linda McCartney and Co-op Gro.

Agree about the having a portobello mushroom instead. Just make sure you season it and then cook it until it’s really well done. Delish!

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Many contain palm oil including Linda McCartney and Co-op Gro.

Really? I normally check.

Linda McCartney 1/4 lbs (plain or or Mozzarella) don’t use it?

Rehydrated Textured SOYA Protein (58%), Rapeseed Oil, Water, Onion (9%), Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Malted BARLEY Extract, Onion Powder, Flavouring, Salt, Garlic Powder), Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Chickpea Flour, Flavouring, Garlic Purée, Malted BARLEY Extract, Onion Powder

https://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/frozen-range/vegetarian-14lb-burgers/

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

@p7eaven

Nah, I keep asking them but they don’t know. They stopped doing it when they cut the menu because “covid” and haven’t brought it back yet.

Fingers crossed.

They don’t sell it as veggie because they use the same grill as other burgers, but simply ask the to wipe the grill and use fresh oil and they usually do it for you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.