• This topic has 171 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)
  • Hangs head is speeding shame….
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got stopped by the Police doing 70 just after the Forth Road Bridge, which is still a 50 mph zone for about half a mile till the M90 starts. I slowed down as soon as I realized there was a Police car behind me. Vehicle check showed my MOT had just expired by a week too.

Feel a twerp, but accept the consequenses.

Whats the worst that will happen points – fine wise?

grtdkad
    Free Member

Whats the worst that will happen points – fine wise?

Don't worry about the points, it's the public flogging that should worry you!

Underhill
    Free Member

Ouch. Could well be 6 points I reckon, perhaps more if you got them on a bad day. Speeding in a car which has no MOT might lead to charge of driving without insurance. Fines probably going to hurt too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unless they decided you were an arse I would think fixed penalties for both – 3 pts and £60 for the speeding – dunno what the MOT is

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fines probably going to hurt too.

How much will it hurt? X = £££?

Officers said it would be open to the discretion of the PF.

Police were pretty fair.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess that means you will get a plead guilty by post thingy for the no MOT.

No bullshit excuses – they hate that. Just a " you got me bang to rights guv" admission

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

PF?

You'll Deffo get more than 3 points for the speeding offence. If they were going to deal with it via fixed penalty, they would have explained that to you already.
    You will no doubt be up before the magistrate, probably expect 4-5 points.
    Not sure about the mot though, best get it sorted tomorrow if possible, show willing etc and that the car has no defects.

I missed my mot last year by a month, only realised when I tried to tax it online. Didn't get pulled though luckily and it sailed through the test.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No bullshit excuses – they hate that. Just a " you got me bang to rights guv" admission

I signed a statement to that effect in the car.

I dont have any points just now so I'm not a habitual twerp.

cynic-al
    Free Member

PF = Procurator Fiscal, jock version of CPS

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not sure about the mot though, best get it sorted tomorrow if possible, show willing etc and that the car has no defects.

I'll have it booked in first thing tomorrow for the MOT.

I doubt there is any provision for a short lapse in its validity.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think at 20 over that will be fixed penalty – the reference to the courts will be for the no MOT – and that is a plead by post normally.

20 mph over is within the normal range for fixed penalty i believe

Edit – not so sure now I have checked but no summons – can be dealt with by post.

MSP

I slowed down as soon as I realized there was a Police car behind me

Thats where you went wrong, you should have put your foot down and outrun them, rozzers can't drive for peanuts you could have burnt them off easy. And even if you were a bit unlucky and got caught, acording to the daily mail the maximum penalty for being a chav twonk would have been a slap on the wrist.

Drac

Oooops! Take it like man.

oldgit
    Free Member

How much to get your car back?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Brave man admiting a speeding ticket on here. The self rightous tendency will no doubt be along shortly to inform you you are the anti-christ.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

That should never be a 50mph limit out there.

myheadsashed

Stocks or Ducking Stool sir 😀

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Lothian and Borders Traffic police? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! – been nice riding with you; see you in 3 years 😉

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I got done for no MOT a while ago, was totally convinced I had one. £30 fine made out on the spot rising to £60 if not paid within 2 weeks.

highclimber
    Free Member

no MOT means you have no valid insurance, speeding is 3 points and driving without valid MOT is another 3 + fines which the policeman who stopped you should hhave told you what these were unless he referred you to a magistrate.

oldgit
    Free Member

I thought they took the car away i.e no MOT no insurance.

No
    I used to have my three cars insured through one company, all three policies started the same time. I'b been with them for years and they just renewed my policy each year. Only one year they missed a vehicle out, they sent me the documents but didn't take a premium for one.
    That was the one I was driving when they stopped me. 6 points £200 fine and vehicle towed away, ££££'s to get it back and me and my lad left stranded.
    They had been insured every year through my business and I'd had continuous insurance for 32 years.
    Lucky I didn't hit anyone I guess, was annoyed though

from a post earlier this week. And it was parked up at the time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NO MOT does not mean no insurance automatically – only if the car is unroadworthy IIRC

Uponthedowns =- wht most of us can't stand is people who bleat about getting speeding tickets – calling them taxation or some such bollox or complaining the cops should be out catching real criminals.

McMoonter has failed to bleat or complain about getting the ticket in any way.

oldgit
    Free Member

TJ you'd have to have a very friendly insurance company to overlook the 'get out on any excuse' clause. Though strangely my premium dropped a massive amount after that?

jimmyshand
    Free Member

There is a lot of nonsense written up there ^

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimertotable.htm

No MOT is a non-endorsable offence which carries a £1000 maximum fine. I would also be mightily annoyed if I got more than 3 points and a £60 fine though.

The possession of a valid MOT certificate only signifies that the car was roadworthy at the moment it was tested. It is not a certificate of roadworthyness for the entire year. This is why the absence of a MOT certificate does not invalidate your insurance (only being unroadworthy would invalidate it).

hora
    Free Member

On the MOT- if you had a crash your insurers can sidestep any payout.

Worsecase your looking at 3points + 3 points IMO.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i got caught speeding and couldn't find my license so got done for 'driving without a licence'. I did actually have one which the DVLA confirmed, i'd just lost it.

Got 3 points 60 quid fine for speeding.
    20 pound fine for losing my license

jimmyshand
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – nonsense.

hora
    Free Member

I was once buzzed by a traffic Policeman after I went passed him at 90 on the motorway. He slid down his ramp and came up my rear, the side then the front then pulled back over.

I was oopsy-daisy'ing myself!! 😆

jd-boy
    Free Member

Just seams daft that they can remind us when our road TAX is due but cannot be bothered to remind us very busy folks that our MOT is about to Expire dispite the fact that its all on the DVLA computer now,
    Just goes to show all the police are interested in is revenue, if you get your house broken into or your bike stolen they dont give a monkeys as its not going to make them any money.

RustyNissanPrairie

no MOT=3rd party only insurance.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

RNP stop spouting utter drivel.

Keva
    Free Member

exactly jd-boy. If driving over the speed limit was really as dangerous as is made out we wouldn't be able to do it and cars wouldn't be built to go 140mph+

Kev

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oldgit – in the situation you talk about you had no insurance. Nothing to do with the MOT.

With No MOt it does not automatically mean no insurance. The police databases will show a valid insurance certificate thats all they care. Your insurance company may try to get out of paying a clai9m on the grounds that the car was unroadworthy but that is not the same thing has not having insurance.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

See what happens when you leave Fife, McM …

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was his first time out.

hora
    Free Member

So, regardless driving a car on a public highway without a valid MOT is an offence. Unless you are driving to a pre-booked test. So, in theory he can be charged with driving an unroadworthy car. If your MOT certificate has expired its not CERTIFIED to be on the road. No?

smiffkin

Jimmyshand you're spot on with your answer about MOT being a fine only. And dead right about some of the nonsense being spouted! An FPN can only be given for one offence and as there's two here, they obviously decided to go the court route for both.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

You can be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle only if it is unroadworthy regardless of whether it has a valid MOT or not. Driving an unroadworthy vehicle has many endorsable offences within its classification. Driving a car without a MOT is non-endorsable.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

See what happens when you leave Fife, McM …

It was his first time out.

Thats it, I'm never going Sooth again.

br
    Free Member

I think you'll be lucky to only get 3 points for 70 in a 50…

http://www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingban/speedingoffences/drivingbanspeedingoffences.htm

But at least you shouldn't get a ban.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Hangs head is speeding shame….’ is closed to new replies.