Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Handbrakes- are you a clicker, or a non-clicker?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

leaving in neutral and brakes cooling/contracting o

Know many xantia drivers these days.bsurely all the fluids leaked out their spheres by now

matt_outandabout

What would surf-mat do?

timbog160

Button in, BUUUUTTTT…

The ratchet is the correct way to adjust the handbrake when servicing ie 3 clicks of free movement and handbrake grips on the 4th. This is on my Land Rover. The Shaguar has electronic handbrake which, surprisingly, works perfectly.

On a separate note, does anybody else find it particularly pleasing to see a car parked on a steep hill with the front wheels turned into the kerb?

pondo

I doff a mental hat when I see it. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

On a separate note, does anybody else find it particularly pleasing to see a car parked on a steep hill with the front wheels turned into the kerb?

I always do that.

It’s the law in certain US states/cities, certainly San Francisco.

I learnt to drive on tractors on the farm – always had everything in neutral, clutch depressed, PTO (the machine drive mechanism) disengaged. In fact some tractors wouldn’t even start unless you were in neutral and had the clutch depressed. Disengaging the PTO meant you weren’t also trying to work a baler off the battery!

reeksy

But if you start some of the older engines with your foot on the clutch you run the risk of shagging the thrust bearings. You really ought to have some good oil pressure before operating the clutch. 🧐

Cougar

Oh? That’s a new one on me, how old is “older” here?

garage-dweller

Check the car manual.

I had a MK3 Mondeo and it was very clear that you should NOT push the button and pull the handbrake on all the way to its limit.

I knew this when I bought it as I had an early one as a rental when they were new out to visit my parents when my car was off the road.

I just pulled the handbrake on normally. 15 minutes later and dad popped out to have a look at it and it was creeping slowly down the drive. Manual consulted, lesson learned.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aside from the fact that leaving it in gear acts as a backup for the brake, if you don’t depress the clutch when starting then the starter has to do more work.

Instead, you **** the gearbox shaft bearing. At a guess I’d rather go with the (eventual) cost of a starter than a gearbox rebuild.

Oh? That’s a new one on me, how old is “older” here?

Mk7 Civics were notorious for it, some cars are fickle.

However, I had a boyfriend who i dated very briefly and when driving anywhere he would randomly click the button… A LOT.

My C8 has a pull out button that allows you to disengae the lever from the mechanism so it can drop for the spinning seat. With quite a satisfying bounce. My missus LOVES it when I disengage it and start absent mindedly start lifting and dropping it in traffic. Thududududud. Thududududud. Thududududud.

increase fuel consumption by engine braking

Looking forward to this belter getting justified. Utter horseshit BTW unless you’re driving something thats old enough to qualify as a classic. Fuel cutoff has been a thing for years.

jimw
    Free Member

Instead, you **** the gearbox shaft bearing. At a guess I’d rather go with the (eventual) cost of a starter than a gearbox rebuild.

Unfortunately I have no option as my car won’t start unless the clutch is depressed. I assume the vehicle has been engineered to cope.
    I have always put my foot on the clutch to start since the early 1980’s as I was taught to do so by my father. I have never had a clutch release bearing or gearbox bearing failure in 40 years of driving. To my knowledge neither has my dad who has been driving since the 1950’s. Just lucky I guess.

Cougar

Unless you’re keeping the car for 40 years I’d hazard that either of those outcomes are vanishingly unlikely.

Mk7 Civics were notorious for it, some cars are fickle.

That sounds more like a design flaw. When you said “older” I thought you meant like “Ford Anglia” or older.

Royston
    Free Member

The’hand’brake on my vehicle a Toyota Ipsum (‘Verso’ in the UK) is a foot pedal so you don’t have a choice – it clicks when depressed. Before I left the UK I drove a few Mercedes and BMW models with the same system for the ‘parking’ brake. When using an actual handbrake I always click and was taught to but I learn’t to drive in 1987 when engine braking was a thing.

ta11pau1

You have to manually pull your handbrake? How very uncouth…

Foot on brake, turn off ignition, get out.

Although, if I have to drive a manual car, with a clutch and a proper handbrake lever I know I’d be slamming it into gear without using the clutch and leaving the thing rolling down a hill…

squirrelking
    Free Member

The bearing thing can happen to any car if you don’t fully disengage the clutch. Its more a case of a lack of understanding of how it works and pushing it until it feels right than pushing it until its fully disengaged.

FWIW when I was taught to drive a simple check of the gearstick was sufficient. You shouldn’t be starting in gear anyway so clutch in or out you should be in neutral regardless, if you’ve confirmed this then disengaging the clutch is redundant.

DezB
    Free Member

if I have to drive a manual car, with a clutch and a proper handbrake lever I know I’d be slamming it into gear without using the clutch

I had to reverse my son’s car about a foot to get the garage door open the other day. Whacked it in reverse, “BOOM!” it was like a body had fallen from a skyscraper onto the roof! I’d put my foot on the brake instead of the clutch 😀

ta11pau1

I had to reverse my son’s car about a foot to get the garage door open the other day. Whacked it in reverse, “BOOM!” it was like a body had fallen from a skyscraper onto the roof! I’d put my foot on the brake instead of the clutch

Yep, had to reverse my sisters car up onto a kerb for her a year or so ago, got in, selected reverse *CRUNCH* ‘come on, get into reverse!’ *CRUNCH*. Then I used the clutch… Oops.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Funnily enough, we had a look at the official manual for the car in question last night, and it says:

“Note: Do not press the release button when you apply the parking brake.
    Press the brake pedal firmly.
    Pull the parking brake lever upwards to its fullest extent.”

trail_rat
    Free Member

BUT THE RATCHET ! THE RATCHET wont SOMEONE think of the ratchet ….

This is an outrage……

squirrelking
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Gas man ! It’s the gas man ! 🙂

alanw2007

Button in you animals!

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Handbrakes- are you a clicker, or a non-clicker?’ is closed to new replies.