Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hand cramp/aching ?
  • Bert
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I have noticed that after riding for around 2-3 hours I am starting to get bad cramp/aching in my fingers when riding downhill. I thought this was due to the spring in my forks being to stiff, I now have the correct spring and the same thing is happening. I was advised by my LBS to try thinner grips and this has also made no difference. What could I be doing wrong to cause this ?
    I am riding a hartail with 140mm forks.

Thanks for any help,

Bert.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Vulcan Death Grip on the bars?

crocodilian
    Free Member

140mm forks could be the source of your woes, the front wheel must be tiny to accomodate those!

Bert
    Free Member

140mm of travel 🙄 .
    I have been trying to hold the bars as loose as possible so pretty sure its not because of that Obi_Twa.

carlos
    Free Member

could be the brake lever position? If they're pointing down a little too much it causes stress on the palms and thumbs when your stretching for them on the downs. i have mine set so that when I'm over the rear whel in the downhill/tech positionthe levers just touch the underneath of my extended fingers (Roughly either 4 or 8 O'clock depends how you see it)

Bert
    Free Member

Thanks Carlos, will try that.

igm

Of course for a truly trivial answer…

What do you expect doing 2-3 hour down hills?

Brake lever position, grip size and material, handle bar shape (try rolling them forwards of backwards as a start), saddle position and stem length (ie how much weight is on your hands), lack of bar ends (or something else to give you a change of position on the bars every so often), fettle your brakes to need less hand power or even thinner or thicker gloves – the possibilities for spending money are endless in the pursuit of a solution; some of them may work.

highclimber
    Free Member

no masturbation beforehand (excuse the pun, it wasn't intended)

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

or a regular and vigourous regime of it to build up strength…….

PeteG55
    Free Member

Too much compression damping on the forks? learning to relax is main one though.

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Poor blood flow to the hand, maybe try to execise more.

Oh.. I hear bananas are good for preventing cramps.

alexpalacefan

Maybe try 1-finger braking, therefore 3 to hold on with.

APF

BigJohn

Having your hands under pressure with an open grip is well known to cause cramp. Windsurf booms have gone as narrow as possible to cut down on cramp, and you rarely see windsurfers in gloves in cold weather because of cramping.

So you could try thinner gloves, Ergon style grips (with a paddle to rest your hands) or simply keep your fingers off the brake levers until needed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hand cramp/aching ?’ is closed to new replies.