Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

thomthumb/bikebuoy – I personally like to approach Stonehenge from The Cursus which you can reach from Larkhill. Stay on the byway to cross the A303 and this leads to Normanton Down which has a large number of tumuli. It’s amazing how quickly you escape from the traffic.

You can follow this til the A360, cross over, past Druid’s Lodge, straight over the crossroads then descend the valley speedily to Berwick St James.

bikebuoy – you need to check the access on the Plain first. There is an NCN track that crosses the Plain between the Bustard Inn (on the Southern part) in a Northerly direction to Redhorn Hill. Despite it being a byway, if the Army are using it then it will be closed.

Edit: UndertheWood has reported the NCN track as being closed for maintenance.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup full reccie going on today, armed with your info and Google I’ll find a few detours that’ll take me away from the closed sections but still allow me to cross the Plain. There are loads of routes it seems and even if I meander wildly I’ll still see what the Plain has to offer, don’t forget I’ve never been there before so it’ll all be new and a bonus.

Winter Soltice soon, could do it again with the Hippies in tow 😆

cinnamon_girl

bb – the area between the A345 and the A338 is always open apart from close to Bulford where they shoot. Have a fun time and do report back please. 😀

cinnamon_girl

Quick q – any pubs in the Test Valley area open on Boxing Day for bar food? Not sure if the John O’Gaunt is, probably will be heading through the Wallops so Broughton, Stockbridge? Only looking for a snack really as will be cooking in the evening.

Thanks and a Happy Christmas to all you Hampshire riders. 😀

cinnamon_girl

Roadie gpx’s for Hampshire: looking for some between 70 – 100 miles. Already have this year’s Hampshire Hilly Hundred gpx’s for both distances, does anyone have any experience of these routes?

Thanks. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, apologies, didn’t see your pub post earlier! Hope you found somewhere.

Happy Christmas, all, and happy trails!

cinnamon_girl

Cap’n – we cycled for 2 miles then the ‘youngsters’ whinged that they were too cold and wanted to go back to the car. I told the boy to toughen up. 😉

Merry Xmas to you too. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got quite a few GPX’s but none of the Hants Hilly100.. but then most of this stuff’s on Garmins connect so I’ll take a look over there for you.

Where exactly would you like to start from?? or go too?? P2P or Circular??

And when do you need the file for?

😀

cinnamon_girl

bb – thanks. Starting from Twyford/Otterbourne/Winchester/Romsey vicinity and ideally circular. My knowledge of roadie-friendly roads is limited, actually looking at the HHH routes not sure I’d want to ride a plastic racer along some of them! Obviously can alter to suit.

It will be for Spring-time unless there’s decent weather in February. I’ll try and compile a cafe list for him, save me acting as support.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a great route from Arlesford, you can start there by parking in the Watercress Line carpark. It then goes up over the Candovers, Fairleigh Wallop then through the Park over to Herriard, Lasham (airfield) Sheldon, Bentworth, Medstead, Bighton, then back into Arlesford.
    Thats a great 70k’s and some lovely smooth (almost) traffic free route, the only busy part is getting out of Arlesford through Old Arlesford 😆 Then it’s into the Lanes and some lovely rolling hills and great vantage points. Some lovely Churches on the way too so that’s always a reason to stop off and admire the Architecture.

At the moment theres only one part of that route that’ll be muddy on the Lane and it’s just after Fairleigh Wallop over the top of the park where the park farm is, can’t help that but it is on top of a hill and dries out easily.

I use this route as a clean training route, you can ride it this time of year and come home very nearly as clean as you set off 😆

Just ask if you want that one..

😀

Edit:

Another one, starts Awbridge, Dunbridge, Nether Wallop, Stockbridge, Kings SOmborne, Braishfield, Michelmersh, Awbridge.. This is a really nice route, only done it once 40miles IIRC, great rolling hills and some pretty villages, again all on quiet lanes…

Let me know.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Merry Christmas all 🙂 hope Santa brought you everything you wanted.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

At the moment theres only one part of that route that’ll be muddy on the Lane and it’s just after Fairleigh Wallop over the top of the park where the park farm is, can’t help that but it is on top of a hill and dries out easily.

If you’re rockin’ da grrravel around Farleigh Wallop, there’s a lovely BW running almost due South through Bedlam Bottom (Obviously!) down towards Axford.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, that was colder than expected.
    Roads and tracks around Hannington, Malshanger etc. on the Diverge. A bit too much track, in some parts! Especially on slicks. Good fun, though!

Nice walk with the family up on White Hill above Kingsclere earlier. Hello to the Salsa fatty rider if you’re on here!

cinnamon_girl

bb – thanks for those suggestions, very tempted to include Farleigh Hill twice from opposite directions! Certainly the Candover Valley is roadie-friendly.

Some of the minor roads in the Test Valley are pretty shonky but sure they can be avoided.

Better get planning on my mapping software. 😀 and get my lazy self out on a bike.

cinnamon_girl

A q for the cx riders – what tyres and width are you using this Winter and how are you finding them when off road? Thanks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rocket Ron 35c’s. Sometimes a 35c Ralph on the back.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Chunky and do they work well?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rocket Ron’s are superb in mud (being a mud tyre). Obviously the tall tread pattern isn’t great on tarmac, but ok if you’re just linking trails.

You can find deals on them. I got a folding pair on ebay for £30.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well a combination of tyres for me… I am currently changing them on type of ride and distance I’m doing…

So, normal hack (cross country, bit of road, cross country) mainly singletrack/Bridleways and single track lanes and I use my Griffos, they’re 33mm and the cotton beaded types. So far I’m on my second set, first set used throughout the summer up until late Novemeber when the rear wore out and the front still has a little tread on (so shall keep that one when this set wears to a similar point) holding up well, quite muddy out there, squishy but not too sodden so my routes are taking in a mixture or terrain. These are my default tyres, that jaunt down the Wessex Ridgeway and Lakeland Monster and the Welsh CX were done on these. Very user friendly tyre, pressures range from 25psi through 40psi and hold a decent radius. Punctures, well I’ve had a few I’m not going to lie, but less than I expected, say 1 every 3 weeks or so which isn’t bad considering the trails I use.

Then my Limus, a deeper tread than the Griffos and Mud specific. Used for racing as most of the tracks run through playing fields which are sodden and deep squish. Hold themselves well in singletrack and forests, great for grip so you can dive them into corners well then dig hard out. No good on the roads though so I only use these for racing or total off-road hacks. Great tyres, would recommend them for anyone whose used to something like Maxxis Beavers.. Pressures again similar to Griffos but only maxed out at 35psi once or twice when doing a sodden SDW back in early Dec.

Then the Clement X’plors that were mentioned on the Tripsters thread. My oh my these are good. Used mainly for Gravel and single Lanes, so think New Forest/East Hants drovers roads that kinda thing. 42mm IIRC and pressures upto 45psi. These have transformed my CX hacks into long distance meandering/exploring routes, took them upto Salisbury Plain just before Christmas and they were good on the harder pack but rubbish on the gloop, expected that but I chose them because I wasn’t sure about the conditions up there. These tyres have been a godsend TBH, taken the pressure off me using the Griffos when I don’t want to get covered in mud and just hack out. Lovely feel to them, soft and sticky but not draggy at all. Super smooth profile, small ribbed blocks and roll very well. These tyres I’ll use for some long distance NCN routes planned.

So I’m changing on by riding “attitude” and conditions, depending on terrain and weather conditions. I guess I’m changing tyres twice a week at the moment because I can and have the opportunity whilst off work to alter my riding to suit.

Still using my roadie mind, but settled on some Clement 25mm cotton bead tyres with a puncture strip just behind the contact rubber. These are working out great,mono punctures so far in weeks of hacking the downs in conditions that should be better suited to the CX’er with the X’plors one TBH, but hey 😆

Quick Edit:
    My TCX came with some SCHWALBE smart Sams on and I took them off straight away to put the Griffos on, these are unused so no idea what they ride like so have thought about selling them on £20 the pair plus postage I guess if anyone’s interested..

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again Chunky and what a really helpful response from bb – thank you. 8)

Yes, I’d made a note about X’plor’s and good to hear real world Hampshire/Wiltshire experience. It does sound as though they would be better for Spring-time? Not heard of Grifo’s so useful info on those, shame they only come in 33mm width.

Lots to think about now!

dobo
    Free Member

CG for full on CX mud racing traction something like the rocket rons, (i use these on my mtb) challenge limus or clement pdx. but they wont be good on road and mixed conditions.

I prefer more all rounder type tyres which are ok in most conditions.
    although most think of a kenda small block 8 as a summer tyre i think its a real good all rounder, gripping beyond its design, sticky clay mud will turn it into a slick though.
    michelin mud2 are ok all rounders but wear fast, work well tubeless as do the kenda sb8.

for exploring and bashing around landcrusers work well and are tough but heavy, silly cheap. work well in new forest tracks.

wider gravel tyres i have my eye on are bonty cx0 38c
    spesh trigger 38c

cinnamon_girl

dobo – Rocket Ron’s already ordered! Will give them a go, thank goodness for the Classifieds though for things that don’t work out. Never seen a Small Block 8 in the flesh so interesting comments.

Landcruisers got a big thumbs up in the Tripster thread so always good to hear another recommendation. I have tubeless rims but want to stay with the flexibility that tubes give for swapping tyres.

The Bonty sound interesting (use their mud tyres anyway) and sizing sounds good, may investigate those.

Thought I’d well and truly left my tyre fetish behind but appear to be back to over-thinking. 😳

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not ridden in Hampshire much so what station would you locals suggest for starting some exploration from? Looking at riding smooth(ish) roads rather than muddy lanes if possible as my alloy TCR isn’t that forgiving on the rougher stuff.
    My local station is on SWT mainline so was thinking Salisbury or Winchester unless there’s any better starts.

cinnamon_girl

hilldodger – either I would say. There’s some chaps on here with really good knowledge of the roads, certainly bikebuoy is putting in the miles at the moment so hopefully he will respond. Wiltshire and Hampshire are lovely counties. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

hilldodger – Do you like to incorporate sightseeing/places/buildings of interest etc into your rides?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes, places of interest for sure, where else to eat lunch 🙂
    I know the area pretty well with regard to historic sites and general geography but not really from the pov of picturesque villages or scenic cafés.
    Think I’ll get googling and spend an evening indulging my OS addiction – will make a change looking at the red lines rather than the dotted ones!

cinnamon_girl

OK, well off the top of my head you could head E on the B3047, head S at Martyr Worthy and follow the minor road to New Alresford. You’d go past Avington Park which is a fabulous privately owned home that tends to be open in the Summer.

NA is roadie-central so loads of cafes and tea shops, it’s been some time since I’ve used them so couldn’t really recommend. There’s tons of lanes and minor roads, all reasonably quiet. Would strongly recommend a visit to The Grange, a neo-Classical building originally owned by a member of the Barings Bank family. You can’t actually see inside but the setting is fab for a picnic.

Another option would be to head W towards the River Test so, for example, Kings Somborne, Stockbridge (has loads of cafes).

You could head N to South Wonston, Sutton Scotney (River Dever), Barton Stacey.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thanks cg, think if I head for either alton or winchester stations there’s plenty of exploring to be had 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

When i lived in Wonston i basically combined all of what CG said into a ride. Some nice road but some are messy this time of year.
    Also i think every roadie in hampshire seemed to go through Kings Somborne today was literally dozens of groups going by, more than you see in summer.. first ride of the year and all that i guess?

corroded
    Free Member

@hilldodger I’d recommend Petersfield too – puts you in the heart of some beautiful hilly country with some very quiet lanes and you can easily get down to the SDW and hop on and off as you please. East or west there are some great routes (east out towards Midhurst, west towards the Meon valley) plus some of the best pubs in the country.

thomthumb
    Free Member

went up to imber today – was really busy! lovely ride from wilton along the wylye valley, warminster imber and back.

Cheers for your help cg.

cinnamon_girl

went up to imber today – was really busy! lovely ride from wilton along the wylye valley, warminster imber and back.

Cheers for your help cg.

You’re welcome and hoped you found it interesting? The Wylye Valley is gorgeous, guess you were riding your cx on the lanes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My local station is on SWT mainline so was thinking Salisbury or Winchester unless there’s any better starts.

If you can get to Overton, Whitchurch or Grateley, you’re pretty much straight off the train on to singletrack, farm trails or quiet lanes.

picturesque villages or scenic cafés.

The Wallops, Stockbridge, Leckford, Longparish, Chilbolton and more to the South of the A303. The Chutes, the Bourne valley, Highclere and Kingsclere to the North.

Over the other side of the M3, there’s Dummer, Farleigh Wallop, and more.

Basically, pick a distance and I’m sure we can recommend some good rides (Terrain specific if required) and good pubs/cafes! Also, when are you heading this way? I’m at the top of the Test, and we do keep meaning to do a STW Hampshire Riding Ride!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh I’ve loads of routes, know this Hampshire like the back of my hand upto the M3, further north and I’m a bit dodgy..

Anywhere out of Winny going East is taking you into the heartland of Hampshire. It’s all rolling hills and epic views, pretty villages and quiet lanes. Lots of folks ride out over the top and head to Old Winchester Hill out of West Meon, down the other side into East Meon then North up to Privet and High Cross, over to Steep then turn back either following North upto New Arlesford and Cheriton then back to Winny.
    If you turn South from either West/East Meon you’ll end up heading towards the coast, always recommend heading down my way as it’s coming out of the Downs and you can’t go further south without getting wet. Places here along the coast head over to Gosport the south to the coast at Alverbank then ride the sea front all the way to the Meon Shore and stop in Tichfield Haven for tea/cake and look out over the Solent to the IOW.
    Most villages are sleepy, West/East Meon you’ll find a cafe, the one in West Meon is behind the local small grocers across the road from the Thomas Lord Pub (which is lovely BTW) great cafe, a hit with all us lot of bikists and they cater well for us, take your bike around the back of the cafe into the garden. East Meon is 10mins by bike away and well worth going.

New Arlesfords a good place to head to too, cafe in the high streets nice but you have to lock your bike up outside, same with all the cafes there, even the Watercress line one…

If you are looking for a Pub for lunch then you can do a turn in the Hampshire Bowman in Dundridge, real beer, excellent food and stick your bike in the large garden at the rear, Thmas Lord in West Meon but they’re a little stuffy so keep your bike out front or in the garden at the rear, Flower Pots in Cheriton is ace but again bike out back.

Lots of villages are quiet, hardly anything happens so they’re off the beaten track, most of us lot ride happily at speed around and through villages linking them up without any bother at all.

High Cross and Privet Churches well worth a visit, Medstead and Bentworth too, head up there and you’re into some steeper climbs yet nothing too hard. Go East/North East and you are in CG/Captainflasherts territory and they’re best giving views up there, me I’m a South Hampshire Downs rider and love it. You can spend a good few days discovering this area. Oh, head West and of course you are in New Forest territory and you can get there easy by turning SW from Winny and into Romsey and myriad of villages south to the Forest. If you head that way there’s a great Pub in Fritham that’s at the end of a lane in the forest, real beer/great food lovely surroundings.

I’d say allow 4/5 hour ride if touring and draw a line North/south from Meon Shore through New Arlesford then West/East from Winny to East Meon and concentrate on the four quadrants. Don’t forget SWT head all down hear so you could so point to point if you want, Satrt Winney and head over to Fareham or Porstmouth and head back on the train or North back to London, you get the drift..

Have fun, mail in profile if you want more info…

8)

cinnamon_girl

hilldodger – I do know the lanes around Alton but not across the A31, some can be mucky. Alton Abbey – not sure when it’s open, it’s one of these places I know nothing about and really should visit. There’s a good cafe near Four Marks (Rumours, Lymington Bottom Road), another good one is in the Post Office, South Warnborough, on the B3349.

Petersfield is a good suggestion – really nice scenery.

cinnamon_girl

Is it OK for me to use up more bandwidth? 😉

Rekindled my love of riding today with a route that was 100% off road. I’d heard that some tracks on Salisbury Plain had become Rights of Way which meant that you didn’t need to leave the Plain, pretty handy in today’s fog!

The NCN route across the Plain at Larkhill was closed due to maintenance but that didn’t stop me and was good to have that track to myself. 🙂 I couldn’t even see the ridge due to the fog but knew the area and its landmarks well.

This new Right of Way effectively was parallel to the A345 and certainly had its ups and downs. Actually it was good to be pedalling the whole time rather than trudging through muddy bridleways.

Bike didn’t get filthy, win win. Icing on the cake was my flask of hot coffee waiting for me in the car.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like I’m spoilt for choice and looking forward to the exploring – will make a nice change from my usual Surrey routes 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sounds a great ride CG 🙂

cinnamon_girl

john – it was atmospheric not being able to see much although the abandoned rusting tanks were visible through the fog. No other cyclist to be seen and not many people either!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.