Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hammocks, worth a go?
  • Mounty_73

Looking at hammocks, as a few people at work are raving on about them.

Just looking at some alternatives for camping and camping experiences etc.

I know there will be pro’s and cons, so are come on, tell me what you think about them?

perchypanther
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like sleepping in mine which is a dd hammock the basic one.

Biggest downside is being confident in having suitable hanging locations.

And your arse will freezer.

A DD hammock isn’t a massive outlay or alternatively they are dead easy to make and very cheap. you could quite feasibly give it a go and at worst it becomes a general hammock for tooling about with when your main tent is up.

matt_outandabout

I personally don’t like not sleeping flat.
    I like to turn over, and am a side(ish) sleeper.
    I find them colder than on a kip mat/Thermarest, in proper cold weather.
    You need to have a good top tarp, and two suitable tree’s – limiting where you can pitch.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I find I can sleep flat enough by lying diagonal but For some people like matt above it’s just not flat enough.

twang
    Free Member

Good for sloping sites and keeping the bugs off but your arse will freeze even in summer so an under quilt is essential.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I bought one from lidl a couple of weeks ago for my Gazebo. I use a couple of climbing slings and krabs to hold it up. Its very comfy and great for chilling. Unfortunately I should of bought 3 more as its a fight to get in it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vduJ43]Untitled[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

convert

Just seem too compromised as the only thing in your pack for camping. I’ve got a really light one that stuffs into a pouch I sometimes take along as well as a hooped bivvy if I’m not too weight obsessed as it provides a great place to chill of an evening and look at the stars.

moose
    Free Member

I swear by my Hennessy, pricey compared to others but has survived unscathed for the last 5 years of regular use in all climates. Light, small, rapid erection (ooer), plenty of protection from the elements and bloody comfortable.

nedrapier

I’ve got an exped jobby which is bloody great – diagonally suspended sleepy bit so you can genuinely lie flat, and on your side. Sleeve in the bottom for a long/wide down mat.

I’m off to Finland for a few months shortly, and I’ll be atking it with me for bivi rides – don’t think I’ll be short of trees!

HansRey

why does ones arse freeze in a hammock?

nedrapier

because one doesn’t have enough insulation there?

You compress the sleeping bag insulation, so you’ve basically got your arse swinging in the breeze. Put something in between, a sleeping mat or blanket, and that’ll help loads. Having a hammock with a double layer in the bottom is very handy/essential in the cold, as you can slide the mat in between so it doesn’t ping out the side as soon as you shift your weight.

ElShalimo

nedrapier – is it big and strong enough for two?

nedrapier

ES: Specs in the link below. Probably, depending on your weight. Bloody good, but bloody pricey. It was a humm and a haww at 50% off.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/hammocks/ergo-hammock-combi

STATO
    Free Member

Thats not a diagonal lay, but totally perpendicular! does it not feel weird swinging head to toe, or does it tie down tight and not swing?

I have a Hennessey, its good but as others have said can be cold. I also find it doesnt really pack down that small, or weigh little. By comparison a bivy is a lot smaller and I can often get away without a tarp if rain is occasional or light.

I have a down underquilt which is good and warm but its more to carry and as it needs to be pulled snug under you, can make it feel a bit constricting.

nedrapier

It is diagonal – some of the photos are a bit misleading. Lady in a couple of them seems to be lying diagonal to the diagonal – so close to perpendicular.

Doesn’t feel funny to me.

ElShalimo

Thanks ned

ninfan
    Free Member

Tenth wonder!

(ps. don’t do a google images search for ‘banana hammock’)

nedrapier

its good but as others have said can be cold. I also find it doesnt really pack down that small, or weigh little. By comparison a bivy is a lot smaller and I can often get away without a tarp if rain is occasional or light.

Yup, all fair. Bivi bag is smaller and lighter. Not much though. Certainly quicker to “set up” (unroll!) If you’re in a hurry and just stopping for a quick kip, bivi bag is better option.

If the point of the ride is to spend an evening somewhere nice (with trees or rocks) it’s a nice choice. Bit of luxury worth the extra weight.

STATO
    Free Member

If the point of the ride is to spend an evening somewhere nice (with trees or rocks) it’s a nice choice. Bit of luxury worth the extra weight.

True, especailly so for sitting and just lounging about. I dont find mine especially more comfortable to sleep in, im 6ft4 so even extra sized hammock are a bit small, but i love just ‘hanging out’ in it, so nice to just sit with your legs hanging over the side, or sitting perendicular using it like a chair to look out at the view. (top-tip; most lakes often have wooded areas on the shore line which make ace hammock spots)

CountZero

I like the idea of a hammock just for being a lazy git, (default state), and just chilling, but I’m going camping the end of next month, and the spot I’ll have the tent is a field overlooking open sea, and no handy trees, AFAIK. There is a wood nearby, but that won’t be particularly handy.
    I can’t be doing with carting some fancy frame along just to indulge my lazy ass. 😀

steveoath
    Free Member

nedrapier

Count – one of my favourite hammocking spots was up in the cliffs between Sennen and Gwenvor – strung in a gully between spikes of rock. God damn beautiful.

ElShalimo

Inspired by this thread, I’ve ordered an Exped Travel Duo for lazy afternoons (or more likely for hangovers)

STATO
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9AJ83r]Stealth camp[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9AM1Xy]Stealth camp[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

ElShalimo

This thread needs more photos!!

Mounty_73

This thread needs more photos!!

Yes it does!! 🙂

nedrapier

Well OK then!! 🙂

BillMC

Bump. Thanks Ned and Hans for the tips. Helsinki flat booked for February at Eerikinkatu.

nedrapier

Nice! This was Repovesi National Park. Beautiful spot, bit of a drive from Helsinki.

sweepy
    Free Member

This was taken on my first try in the hammock. I just put a thermarest in the bottom and I was well comfy, but it did get a bit cold when I slid off it in the night. Great nights sleep other than that.

kerbdog
    Free Member

I love hammock camping. You never have to worry about sleeping on that one rock on the otherwise perfectly flat tent pitch. It definately ranks as the most comforatable nights sleep ive ever had.
    I use the Hennessey Explorer asym along with a thermarest and usually drape my sleeping bag open over myself as i find it more comfortable.
    The main downside of the explorer is the asymetric fly sheet but that can be changed out for something with a little more coverage.
    Pitching time takes a little over 2 mins once you get used to it.

nedrapier

Weekend just gone, Northern Lapland. waking up to find out what my camping spot looks like in the light. Left the tarp off, but ready to pull over if it snowed over night. It did, but not enough to get me out of a warm sleeping bag. Snow on the face is hard to sleep through, though, however light it is!

Tarp used on the 2nd night in Norway. -12 and clear, then snow, then rain. Had to shake the ice off the tarp in the morning!

dogmatix

Mounty as you can tell you have let the Genie out of the bottle. I think hammock campers just trawl forums waiting for a chance to talk about their dirty habit. If you want a journey in to the world of HC, go to youtube, and type hammock camping! A whole world will unfold before you. Years worth of video footage. I am not even a HC, but i got sucked in by the videos and watched them for hours. check this fella out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuGJgka1qc (he is actually pretty funny, a real character, he seems to be a particular species, the below zero HC)

Just be aware once you cross over theres no coming back. Once your one of them they wont let you go. I just observe, though they may have me in their grips one day!?!?!?!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Hammocks, worth a go?’ is closed to new replies.