Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Halo Vortex Wheels
  • baldiebenty
    Free Member

Anyone else running these?

I got a rear wheel to replace the original WTB (on a G170s) when I cracked it’s rim (bad landing + low tyre pressure) and even though I’m running rimpact now and the tyre (Maxxis EXO+ DHR II) at about 25psi I’m denting it….a lot.

Admittedly I’ve been riding Staunton, FoD a lot and that has a few rocks and I’m neither the lightest rider or the gentlest and my timing on any jumps/gaps etc. can be a bit off but am I just a clutz who needs to improve his “mad skillz” or are they a bit on the soft side?

joebristol

No experience of a Halo Vortex rim but I use those tyres and similar pressure and haven’t dented any of my rims – either on the hardtail or full suss. Had both DT Swiss and WTB st-i25 rims (no inserts).

I think I’ve seen a few good reviews of those rims so maybe you’re being s bit brutal on the landing front? I don’t think of FOD as particularly rocky – especially compared to North Wales for example.

russyh
    Free Member

Staunton is a bit different to what most define as FOD, it’s certainly rockier in places and much more technical in parts.  So can be more brutal on rims than say Cannop side.  But 25psi with an insert is strange.  Obvious answer is to run higher PSI.  But what weight are you in your riding gear, are you running a WT tyre?  Or a narrow tyre on a narrower rim?

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Maybe I am being a bit hard on them, smashing through stuff rather than trying to smooth it out.
    A couple of the dents have caused issues with the wheel/tyre holding air which is irritating. Straightened out with mole-grips they’ve been fine.

I’m getting the old wheel rebuilt with a DT Swiss rim because I’m not sure how long the Halo will last so I guess maybe that’ll give me a better idea when I switch over to run it (although I do like the buzzz from the Halo)

Despite the dents they are still straight and spokes are tight, it’s just denting around the edge of the rim causing problems.

I’ve never ridden in North Wales (the horror!) so Staunton seems pretty rocky in places to me.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

83kg without gear, probably in the region of 100-ish fully kitted with a full camelbak I guess. Curious now and I’m going to have to weigh myself kitted up.

It’s a 2.4 DHRII not the WT, rim is a 33mm internal width which is 3-4mm wider than the original WTB i29 I think so I wonder if I need a wider rear tyre instead to protect the rim a little better, not enough sidewall although it does look ok.

I generally use all the suspension travel on the trails out there but don’t generally notice any harsh bottom out, in fact after a fair bit of faffing around I’ve got the suspension working quite well, I think.

tdog
    Free Member

My bro uses Halo Vertex rear as it happens with a WTB tyre and finds it golden.

I used to have a set of standard Halo wheels on my 29er that were alright tbf.
    Axle adaptors fell out but that was an old set.

I would genuinely say their hubs are good pieces of kit and rims look mega decent

joebristol

If you find FOD rocky you should visit Coed Y Brenin and do some of the blacks there. I felt a bit battered after Tawr Du and MBR back to back on the same day (quick stop for lunch inbetween). Also did Antur Stiniog which wasn’t as rocky as I expected, just a lot of slate.

I thought the dhr2 2.4 was a WT tyre – I had one and found it too heavy / draggy so sold it after not too much use. Went back to a 2.3 dhr2 which seems to roll much quicker.

Haven’t tried it on my new 30mm internal rims – but the 2.3 aggressor seems to be doing ok since I managed to pop it onto the rim (took a while and a broken charger pump before an airshot popped it on no problem).

gilesmartin81

I have these wheels and they have been amazing over the last 12 months. the only issue I have had was when i got a flat riding the rocks at the mega and bent the rim a bit which we folded back with some pliers and the new tyre went up first time.

I weigh about the same if not a bit more and would not say i was gentle with the way i ride. I have 25psi or less and have not had any issues. Maybe contact Halo for some advice or to pass on the feedback?

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Thanks gilesmartin81 I was hoping for feedback from someone using the wheels before I went back to Halo, sounds like it is just my *style* but as I hadn’t done worse than knock a wheel out of true until cracking the WTB and then denting the Halos I wasn’t sure. Maybe time for a little more bounce and float rather than smashing through stuff.

Anyone with experience of both care to comment on Coed Y Brenin vs Staunton? I tend to ride Grounded/Garlic Trail, Buckstone, Bunker, Billys etc. Although most of those are hidden/hazardous on Strava and have a whole host of different names. Always wanted to venture a little further afield, family and time haven’t allowed so far.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yup, it’s definitely looking like my ambition/line choice is outstripping my (lack of) talent.

More boing less bash!

Alex

Bunker and Billy’s have some rocky bits for sure. Rockadillo is well named if you’re riding that (off the main buckstone line). I ride there all the time. One or two of our riding group are serious rim destroyers (Hope Rims being particularly cheesy), the rest of us less so. No one I know on that particular brand tho.

Having said that, I’ve damaged more rims round there than any any of the places mentioned above. And that includes BPW on stuff like Rim Dinger.

Sounds like it’s worth a chat with Halo.

russyh
    Free Member

Anyone with experience of both care to comment on Coed Y Brenin vs Staunton?

Yeah, people don’t really know Staunton and get confused when some says FOD.  Yes it’s in the forest but the trails are all off piste and about as far from the trails at PABA and cannop/sallow vallets as you can get.  Trails like bunker are far and away more technical than anything I have ridden at CYB I would also say they are harder on rims.  It’s not rocks that are the issue it’s square edge hits, things like dropping onto a pronounced root will do it and god there are plenty of them.

Like Alex I have trashed more rims in FOD than anywhere else, but bear in mind 90% of my riding is there! I can’t talk about the halo rims personally but it’s the first I have heard about them being prone to denting.  Like I say maybe raise your tyre pressures or run a slightly heavier duty sidewall to help prove the the rim bottoming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Halo Vortex Wheels’ is closed to new replies.