Hacienda reunion……anyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Hacienda reunion……anyone?
  • Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Just had the invite. 🙂

Not sure who’s up, don’t care.

Morales last time, best set I’ve ever seen, man’s a genius.

Security was a bitch though – racist bouncers and the sniffer dogs meant I ate a quarter. The bag still hasn’t reappeared.

Tuuuuuunes 🙂

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Me and a badly pissed up mate parked ourselves in the same booth as The Happy Mondays one Thursday night in there many years ago. My mate then dropped a lit Zippo down the sleeve of his jacket and caught fire.

The Mondays nodded their approval.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

To be honest, I’m quite happy to leave it in the past.

One day I’m going to write a book of all my horror stories of working behind the bar at the Hac. All the stories in ‘How Not to Run a Club’ are true, and then some! Mind you, it was never dull, and a laugh most of the time. 😀

Now, a Paradise Factory reunion? That’d be a different thing altogether

EDIT: This should give you a laugh. I’ve just dug it out from the archives. Me behind the bar at Fac 51, with curtains, having just put the shutters down at 2am after another night of insanity. Circa 1992, I reckon 😀

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Oh God, the Paradise Factory 🙂.

I was given a magazine called ‘Breaking Them In’ once in the queue.
    Pretending to be gay to get into a club? Never worked.

How about a Thunderdome reunion? Can you imagine it?
    Big Dave’s still inside, wondering who was going to get shot in the queue, walking home to Moston via Oldham, just to get a Kebab.

Happy daze.

johnx2

I last went to the Hac in 83 or 84. Quiet place back then. Saw the Virgin Prunes amongst other not terribly good acts. And therefore would not go back. (You can never go back.)

(Source of regret that punk and aftermath was my proper youth culture, grazed rave – which let’s face it was loads more fun – but basically it was recreation as opposed to meaning of life and so over for me by then.)

Subscriber

Bloody hell Binners, I remember you now!
    Top tonsure.

I stopped going once it got heavy. Turned up one week, new door staff, wouldn’t let us in. Went to Berlin instead, then Sankey’s, then the Thunderdome. Proper Northern Scum.

What was that place near the Cathedral called? Pre bomb? Conspiracy? That was dodgy.

IHN

You know, I’ve never seen Binners and Curtis Stigers in the same room. Makes you think…

You know, I’ve never seen Binners and Curtis Stigers in the same room. Makes you think…

…or Bo Derek.

regenesis

Should’ve undone a few more buttons on your top binners – better tips that way……

IHN

…or Bo Derek.

But we did know Binners was a Perfect 10. How did we not make the link?

johnx2

…or Bo Derek.

or Bo Selecta. Keith Lemon anyway

Subscriber

We sacked it off and ended up in The Brick House or The Boardwalk.

One of my mates would always badger us to go to that underground death trap on Whitworth Street that had the scaffolding robot thing in it, so that he could back-scuttle one of the regulars. We called her “Little Bernard” because she looked like Mr Manning. An evening in a crap club for everyone in order for him to make squelching noises for a couple of minutes. Mates eh?

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Never managed to get in to the Hacienda, the 2 times (probably 89/90) we tried we got turned away 🙁

I moved to Leeds not long after that so Basics was my club of choice, Manchester was just a bit too much of an effort to get to then!

Great hair binners 🙂

lowey

I’m with Binners. Best left in the past for me. Will never be the same.

Couple of mates went to a Shaboo reunion few year back. Said it was terrible.

It should be left in the past. You can’t re-live it with an overlay of 25 years of life experiences colouring it.

Last time I went to the Hac was to watch The Mighty Lemon Drops. Mark Burgess came on as guest to sing Don’t Fall. It was awesome.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

One day I’m going to write a book of all my horror stories of working behind the bar at the Hac.

I looked at the photo and tried to work out if I remembered you. Then remembered I didn’t actually remember just about anything about visiting the Hac.

I never went, but you may remember my brother Neil.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eHFpus]Neil4[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

sarawak

On a wall in the Northern Quarter. Gone, but not forgotten.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2e7QaJK]Remember The Hacienda[/url] by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

tnrbilly

Being a southern softy I never went, but am currently reading the Peter Hook “How Not To Run A Club” book – wow!! There are some stories right there!
    Can’t decide whether I’d have loved to have gone, or am glad I lived hundred’s of miles away.
    Loved the stories about the firework display setting fire to the night’s takings, and Peter Hook working in the club to earn extra money and not realising it was all New Order’s own money that was keeping the club open.

Premier Icon stevemakin
    Subscriber

best unexpected gig ever there, the joe boxers, didn’t go expecting anything other than another boring night, turned out to be a brilliant night

eddiebaby

Finally happened eh, hacienda waiting.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I could tell you a lot of toe-curling, hilarious, utterly debauched, truly terrifying stories. If you’ve not read Hooky’s ‘How Not to Run a Club’ then its well worth a read. I can testify to it all being true. He’s not embellished it at all. In fact, he’s probably left out a lot of the dodgier stuff

Just been thinking about it now. When you’re older you look back and realise what utter madness it was. But at the time we were students, working behind the bar at what had become the biggest and scariest club in the world, the north west of England was awash with industrial quantities of weapons-grade MDMA and we were having the time of our ****ing lives 😀

The only rule – NEVER EVER GO IN THE ALCOVES!!!

RIP Mr Wilson

Friend (Graham Ola) used to be a DJ there

Subscriber

I could tell you a lot of toe-curling, hilarious, utterly debauched, truly terrifying stories.

Please. 🙂

My drinking bud, Alkie Malcy used to get his knob out and wave it around when the strobes were on. No one ever noticed, everyone was too busy waving their hands around.
    He used to drink Poppers too, but that’s another story.

Who was the bloke who used to sit on the stage playing drums?

Subscriber

The only rule – NEVER EVER GO IN THE ALCOVES!!!

…because my mate Phil was in there, on fire.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Pete – next time I see you i’ll give you chapter and verse over a beer

I used to love walking into ‘work’ in the summer, about 9pm on a Saturday night, through this, in silence. With nobody there.The calm before the storm.

It really was a beautiful space. Ben Kelly did a great job of it! It used to be a yacht warehouse, you know? In the middle of Manchester City Centre? The ceiling was so high to accommodate the masts. Go figure?

When we put the lights back up at 3pm it’d look like a war zone. We’d all sit and have a beer amongst the carnage when everyone had gone. Happy days 😃

mrlebowski

I can’t remember half the places I ended up in…..

Seriously, I really can’t!

🤣

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Tell me about it. I lost an entire decade. I’m aware the 90’s happened, and I was there, but that’s about it 😂

wrightyson

Only went once and I think it was 95, it was a shared night with a club called the royal? It was **** awful in there with a powder keg atmosphere, totally different in the hacienda. I was also a regular at basics and Ronson in Leeds. With Derby being home we were also very lucky for such a small place to have progress as well.

Subscriber

derek_starship

It should be left in the past. You can’t re-live it with an overlay of 25 years of life experiences colouring it.

You can you know.
    I have no regrets, don’t feel guilty and am happy and grateful to be 50 and still alive. 🙂

Just because we’re old doesn’t make life any less fun.
    In fact, I enjoy getting off my tits and dancing like a loon much more than I did as a youth.
    I don’t feel stupid, I don’t worry about my appearance, I’m not ashamed about who I am or who I used to be.
    I just like dancing.

The only stuff I’ve left in the past is my negativity.

Rave on, it’s a crazy feeling, as a wise man once said.

aphex_2k

Anyone going to watch “Beats” ? New rave film that’s out today in cinemas.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/16/beats-review-blissed-out-flashbacks-90s-rave-scene

Soundtrack is pretty decent too.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

“I looked at the photo and tried to work out if I remembered you. Then remembered I didn’t actually remember just about anything about visiting the Hac.”

Ha. +1
    Although I do remember the alcoves! Opened my eyes!

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

I too am happy to leave it in the past, but fair play to you Rusty, you go for it!!

Never went to the Hacienda as was Midlands based but spent many happy nights (and quite a few fraught ones!) in the Eclipse in Cov….

scud

I only ever went to the Hac towards the end for a drum ‘n’ bass night having travelled across from where i was a student in York, my haunts like Wrightyson were Up your Ronson and Back to Basics, then Music Factory & Gatecrasher in Sheffield…

Then coming from the Sarf, used to end up at Bagleys on a regular basis, that was a crazy place in Kings Cross

There used to be a really dodgy “club” in the loosest word on outskirts of Sheffield, in a really industrial bit, used to open at 6am on sunday and go through to midday, so was full of absolutely wrecked people, bodybuilders and hookers, trying to think what it was called?

Subscriber

“Worst” ones that I went to were Shelley’s in Stone and Wigan Pier in, errr, Wigan.

Paranoia with a threat of violence. But that could have just been me.

After Wigan I decided that I never wanted to go to a club night again…. and became a bit of a piss-pot for the next decade.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I can’t remember that Sheffield one either. Misty because I was warned off it!

Gatecrasher was good fun, used to collect the tickets/money from the student bars and take it down in a taxi in return for entry and as much vodca as I could handle. Think I was there (or kingdom, or fuzz) twice a week for two years until it burnt down. I’m sure there was no connection to Plug opening and kingdom getting refurbished…..

trumpton

I used to go to Bagleys often too. Loved that place and having gone to a lot of places in London it was my fave.

mrmoofo

so was full of absolutely wrecked people, bodybuilders and hookers, trying to think what it was called?

South Yorkshire?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Rusty – have you been to any of the Hacienda Classical do’s?

We went to the first on at the Bridgewater Hall. I thought it was either going to be absolutely brilliant or embarrassingly awful. Thankfully it was the former. It was brilliant. It absolutely went off in the Bridgewater Hall as well!

Well worth heading too when its on

scud

Well that dodgy club i used to frequent in Sheffield of a sunday morning, was this place, Niche, reading it’s history it really was a dive!

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/09/nightclubbing-niche

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.