Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • H bars, jones bars
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I know I could google it, but it takes the point of the forum away.

Any good?
    Where do the shifters go?
    Tape or grips?
    Should I go for thumbies?
    Where does my poploc go?

clubber
    Free Member

you’re not allowed gears or suspension with them so it’s a moot point 😀

I’ve tried some. thought they were alright but I wouldn’t change to them as while comfortable I just didn’t get on with them on anything properly twisty. ymmv.

charliedontsurf

Excellent on a jones bike, I use them on my cargo bike,
    You have tonnes of room for stuff.
    Grips and tape on my carbo bike. Grips only on the jones demo bike.
    A cheaper and more normal alternative is the salsa bend bar, go for the 23degree sweep..

Salsa bend bars

singlespeedstu

you’re not allowed gears or suspension with them

2009_0829bankholidayrhayader0044 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2011_0227viewfromthewok0002 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Ignor Clubber. He’s talking shit. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

turncoat! change your forum name immediately! 😉

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Any better than on one marys?

singlespeedstu

I didn’t get on with Mary’s.
    I also prefer the loop to the h though.

2010_1210newandold0002 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Atomizer
    druidh
    Free Member

If you go for H bars then you’ll struggle to get all the controls aft of the join. Loop bars are much better in that respect. You’ll easily get brake/shifter/poploc behind the join.

tazzymtb

the front loop is good for keeping your beard out of the spokes as well

Clink

I didn’t get on with Mary’s.
    I also prefer the loop to the h though.

stu – do you notice much difference between ti/alu loops?

OCB
    Free Member

I couldn’t get on with H-bars and suspension forks either, (but I can’t really get on with suspension full-stop), so mine now live on my SS, fully rigid Kona.

I ended up using bar-end shifters and ‘thumbie’ adapters to get gears to work one set of H-bars, and I’ve read stuff ‘on the internet’ that suggests that dual-control pods [probably] fit on H-bars ok.

Loops are fine – they are plenty long enough for brake-levers and pods. My Loops are on my (135mm front-ended) rigid Swift, where they are a perfect fit for that bike.

I dare say this’ll probably sound rubbish 🙄 , but I find that on Loops, I can get into the same kinda rested / neutral position that I can get when riding up on the hoods of On-One Midges (which are [otherwise] my bar of choice).

I didn’t get on with the angle of Mary bars, but my err, friend gets on with them fine … tho’ she can’t get on with Jones bars (and neither of us liked the angle of Carnegie’s).

singlespeedstu

stu – do you notice much difference between ti/alu loops?

Ones black the other’s ti. 😉

TBF I’ve only ever used them with a fatfront/fatbike so it’s hard to tell if one has more give than the other with all the bounce in the tyres.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I have both On-One Marys and Jones / Titec J-bars. The hand position is very similar on both. If you don’t get on with Marys, I’d hazard that you won’t get on with J-/H-bars.

tommid
    Free Member

DoctorRad – Member
    I have both On-One Marys and Jones / Titec J-bars. The hand position is very similar on both. If you don’t get on with Marys, I’d hazard that you won’t get on with J-/H-bars.

I’d have to disagree. I have Marys and Jones loops and old school cut H bars. Marys feel narrow and short, Jones give a much better hand position and greater off road control.

I would personally always go with a set of thumbies, but with loops you’ll have no shortage of space to put a poploc etc.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@tommid – what’s the different between narrow and short? 😉

In comparison with the Titec J-Bars, the Marys have a little less backsweep and would need a shorter stem to put your hands the same fore-aft distance from the saddle, but they’re really not much narrower.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

PS – for proper retromongers, there are SunTour thumbshifters and wishbone shifters out there which will fit on the ‘closed’ parts of the bars. Some have steel brackets which will flex open enough to get round the bars, and some have lovely hinged brackets:

http://www.bikestash.com/product_info.php?products_id=105

I think the 8-speed SunTour thumbshift levers will fit these brackets, but I’ve never tried it myself. You can then go to 9-speed using the Hubbub bodge with one friction-shift gear:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

The IRD thumbshifters have hinged clamps too…

jameso

Any good? – Yes, very. But I liked Scott AT4s too and made my own bar-ends when I couldn’t afford steerhorns bitd.
    Where do the shifters go? – I use thumbies or modified XT 9spd pods on the front bits
    Tape or grips? – I like them like Jeff does them, cork/foam grips and tape.
    Should I go for thumbies? – I do for bikepacking but some rides I prefer the modded XT pods, can’t always reach them but that’s the only drawback of having so much grip range.
    Where does my poploc go? – I really didn’t like them on my bike that has sus forks, prefer something like a titec flat-tracker and I’ve never had a remote lockout so no help there.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘H bars, jones bars’ is closed to new replies.