Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • gutted, local riding woods closed off!
  • emma82
    Free Member

I am soooo peeved. the local woods where I learned to ride and still do…. did…. have been sold by the forestry commission and bought by a campsite so they can put crappy chalets up. had some really nice natural singletrack and loads of nicely built downhill that I was just starting to learn on and love and now its all gone. There is a big sign up saying 'PRIVATE WOOD no horses, no mountain bikes, no walkers, no dogs no DOGGING'. Well, doesn't say no dogging but the area is infamous for it so I'm guessing that is out too. Gutted 😥

We had similar where FC sold out to a shooting sybdicate. We still have 1 bridle path thro as long as you can dodge the shot.
    The FC then leased back the timber rights. Well peeved off.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ride it anyway, and plead ignorance if you ever get caught 😉

emma82
    Free Member

That's what a couple of people have said. I think until they are literally bulldozing the area to put their stupid sheds up people will be up there. just such a shame though, there is nothing else locally that people go to and there is always a lot of people there, we go to the forest of dean quite a bit but this wood was one we could ride to and didnt need to drive to. And I feel all nostalgic, like I say it was my first trails! 🙁

project
    Free Member

The con/labpact, will be selling off all the FC woods,and the Waterways.

emma82
    Free Member

Well, not sure on politics of it, they sold it before the election so it's not a conservative thing but either ways I still think the fc are bastards at the moment.

chrispy

Is that West woods by any chance?

I don't live in Hereford anymore but this was the first place I used to ride downhill years ago and I think it is still used loads by local riders. Fingers crossed something can be done to keep the trails. I enjoy riding there whenever I go and visit the parents as part of an XC loop so it is gutting to hear that it might be bulldozed.
    There does seem to be some dialog with the campsite owners son here:
    (sorry can't get a link to work properly)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=119780761385168&ref=ts

emma82
    Free Member

Yes it is westwood. Will search for the facebookpage, someone told me about it earlier. My rant was due to having driven home an caught sight of the sign saying no riding when I only found out this week it had been sold. Hope theymight keep something open then because it's a really nice place to ride!

pyekid
    Free Member

It's my local woods too, i'm gutted but will continue to ride around there until someone tells me not to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘gutted, local riding woods closed off!’ is closed to new replies.