Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Guardian Watch – is 'streetwear' a racist term
  • thebees
    Free Member

This is a real headline on their website. It’s frightening to think that enough people buy the printed edition to make it a viable business concern.

enfht
    Free Member

Keep up at the back, it’s all about Cultural Appropriation at the moment. Everyone’s terribly offended.

RustySpanner

No, of course not.
    All kids wear it, music and culture influence everyone, regardless of race.

Fashion designer with head up his arse.

GrahamS

A link always helps:
    http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/feb/02/is-streetwear-a-racist-term

It is in the fashion section. Not real news.

stewartc
    Free Member

This is the same newspaper that had a recent article on the gentrification of Sesame Street, I sometimes think the Guardian prints articles now just to get a bite?

Nico
    Free Member

Is it because I is urban.

GrahamS

His main objection seems to be that his “art” isn’t really seen as high fashion because it is demeaned as “streetwear”:

“it’s belittling.” For him, it’s about feeling misunderstood by the fashion pack. “When people describe my collection using that term, I feel like they don’t get what I’m doing.”

But to be honest, what he is doing appears to be putting black sports bra on top of a white tracksuit from SportsDirect.

So I’m not sure I get what he is doing either and there is no racial element to that, it’s just a bit shit. 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

I agree Rusty, some adults wear it too, regardless of race. I live in hoodies, usually Quicksilver if that helps pigeon-hole me.

kimbers

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=vF12rS6w25M[/video]

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=r2lKq794fII[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is why I have given up on print media. Gurdian, on the left constantly trying to outdo its self by naval gazing and being offened by everything. Telegraph on the right is more like a advert for the tory party and has given up on any small effort it once did in offering a balenced argument. Mail and express offering only ill founded hysteria.

binners

Did anyone see the Comic Strip Presents Redtop the other week? The way it portrayed the Guardian offices was absolute genius!

I’m a full on liberal, lefty, pinko commy bastard. I have a Guardian subscription. Its still miles better than any other paper. But sometimes some of the wishy washy, organic, free-range hummus eating, yoghurt knitting hand wringing drives me up the ****ing wall.

I can’t read Polly Toynbee or George Monbiot without wanting to butcher some kittens with a rocket launcher, shout racist abuse at a passer by, then pour crude oil into a watercourse

kimbers

I think if you go hunting in the fashion section of any paper for worthy news you’ll be disappointed

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

To be honest, I think it’s all an in-joke between the writers and the readers of the Guardian.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can’t read Polly Toynbee or George Monbiot without wanting to butcher some kittens with a rocket launcher

Never read Polly Toynbee but George Monbiot is a terrible journalis who frequently heads down the route of personal attack rather than a structured argument. Sometimes his points aer valid but teh article frequenly decends inti a daily mail esq spitting at the screen rant with more holes than a string vest in his argument.

digga
    Free Member

If it is, then this is possibly one of the most racist corporate logos since the Golly…

..and live monkeys will fly out of my exithole.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That is one of the most piss poor logos I have seen in a long time.

dragon
    Free Member

The Guardian i sware at times is lost in an Islington bubble, recently on how to buy cheap foods they manage to write in the 3rd sentence

Nutritious, adaptable and wonderfully long-lasting, dried pulses are a steadfast presence ……….She buys them in bulk when travelling in Spain or Italy, …..

Right, so to save money on my food I need to just pop to Italy, darling. What f**king planet are they on!

From Cheap ingredients cook budget 10 best

digga
    Free Member

bongohoohaa – Member

That is one of the most piss poor logos I have seen in a long time.

I’m guessing, if indeed you were even out of nappies back then, that you didn’t own a skateboard in the 1990s?

binners

Right, so to save money on my food I need to just pop to Italy, darling. What f**king planet are they on!

Thats why I can’t read Polly Toybee. The view of Britain, as noted from your 2nd home in Tuscany where you spend most of the year.

Also them banging on periodically about it being the Manchester Guardian, when most of their journo’s would struggle to find it on a map. The same as anywhere else outside the M25

plyphon
    Free Member

article on the gentrification of Sesame Street

Hahahaha, that’s an article I want to read twice, check that, 6 times.

dragon
    Free Member

Maybe she could write about what she has learned from living in Italy, but i suspect that would mean meeting those greasy locals 😳

footflaps

Keep up at the back, it’s all about Cultural Appropriation at the moment. Everyone’s terribly offended.

I’m not. All seems a bit shit to me, I mean who wants to look like a yoof?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m guessing, if indeed you were even out of nappies back then, that you didn’t own a skateboard in the 1990s?

I was, I did, and I still don’t like the logo.

brassneck

More a DogTown man I suspect.

dannyh
    Free Member

Guardian Watch – is ‘streetwear’ a racist term

No it isn’t. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Oh, and I assume the missing question mark is the work of the OP and not the Grauniad reverting to type……….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Its still miles better than any other paper. But sometimes some of the wishy washy, organic, free-range hummus eating, yoghurt knitting hand wringing drives me up the ****ing wall.

I can’t read Polly Toynbee or George Monbiot without wanting to butcher some kittens with a rocket launcher, shout racist abuse at a passer by, then pour crude oil into a watercourse

Hmm, I see…..

dannyh
    Free Member

Monbiot is just a self-parody now. Before he was just a lightning conductor for the Graun editorial team’s hang-ups, but now he’s just sliding further and further towards full-time Panto. If you see or hear his name, just remove the offending media from your sensory input – (close webpage, turn page, switch channel etc).

I do read the Guardian webpages because the cricket stuff is excellent – Mike Selvey in particular. Other than that, there is just too much reading between the lines needed to tease out the news from the opinion.

kimbers

I’m a full on liberal, lefty, pinko commy bastard. I have a Guardian subscription. Its still miles better than any other paper. But sometimes some of the wishy washy, organic, free-range hummus eating, yoghurt knitting hand wringing drives me up the ****ing wall.

+1
    its still the best there is since the bbc seems to have been reduced to about 5 reporters

traildog
    Free Member

OP. I really am at a loss at what your point is? It’s an article in the fashion section. What exactly are you expecting?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d like an app that adds the guardian and the times together every day and divides by two.

Stoner
    Free Member

I used to have a sub for nearly 10yrs. But had to ditch it sometime 3yrs ago as each edition had an article which seemed to reach out to be #peakguardian. That’s a great twitter feed to follow by the way.

Now I just pick up what I can from BBC (still too lefty, rubbish international, blatantly non-reports important but uncomfortable stories), France24, Sky and Google news aggregator. And following a few twitter feeds that seem to be on the pulse for breaking (even if uncorroborated) news.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I remember being a student in Bristol , getting my organic bread and milk and the guardian and thinking “look at what I’ve become”. It’s still the best paper by a mile but agreed on Toynbee and Monbiot , it’s just hilarious . Website is pretty different to the paper mind. All about click bait really due to its insane debt maybe?

Someone on here said you should buy this and cycle round London ” may as well paint a target on your back”

slowoldman

But to be honest, what he is doing appears to be putting black sports bra on top of a white tracksuit from SportsDirect.

Pretty lazy for “fashion”. Where’s the design in that?

digga
    Free Member

brassneck – Member

More a DogTown man I suspect.
    O/T Best logo ever:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@somuchguardian.
    Scary, but funny.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Where is Sean Goff these days ?

dragon
    Free Member

This is quality work by BuzzFeed

Peak Guardian 2015

richmtb

It is probably still the best national newspaper (admittedly the bar is set pretty low)

but sometimes they really do disappear up the own arse

Thomas the Tank Engine is Racist

kimbers

Its not the first time they’ve called out the Rev W Audry either
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/04/tyrannical-world-thomas-the-tank-engine

And yes it’s still better than all the rest of the papers! What does that say about journalism in this country !! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Guardian Watch – is 'streetwear' a racist term’ is closed to new replies.