Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Grease me up baby!
  • escrs
    Free Member

Need to buy some more grease for general bike purposes, headsets, wheel bearings, bottom brackets etc..

Im feed up of paying £7+ for a tube of 120ml of teflon grease

Would much rather buy a 400-500ml tub of lithum grease for around £10

So what are the real world implications of using a lithum grease on a bike rather than a teflon based grease?

bigginge
    scruffythefirst
    Free Member

What bigginge said.

montgomery
    Free Member

Lucas marine grease works for me.

singlespeedstu

Another 222 user here.

Tracey

Same here Mobil 222 and a mini grease gun

finbar
    Free Member

You’re not limited to a big tub of lithium grease. A big tub of synthetic grease is also only about a tenner. I use Silkolene Pro RG2.

Actually mine has nearly finished though, so I’m going to try Autol top 2000 super longtime grease next, which has a brilliant name and I’ve heard good things about it.

fathomer

Mobil 222 and a mini grease gun here as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Silkolene RG2 is good. I also use Maxima waterproof grease which I’m pretty certain is the 222 stuff mentioned above.

greeny30
    Free Member

I have shimano,park,white lightening clear,silicone,weldtite red stuff, dymanic grease, bog standard castrol caramel colour grease but most of the time I just grab my Mobil xhp222, its the mutz nutz of greases, expect for forks n shocks then it’s slick honey.

dyna-ti

3kg bog standard multipurpose lithium grease – £20

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363297346442?hash=item549635938a:g:IQ4AAOSwcTJgLm0M

Always considerably more expensive to buy small amounts than big tubs of the stuff.

Or if you want something a little more specialized

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/triple-qx-multipurpose-lithium-grease-3kg-526770050

You’re looking at 5x the quantity for just over twice the price as a 400g tub.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Will order some Mobil 222 grease

mashr

I’m in the Silkolene RG2 camp. Been using it for years, always seems to do the job anywhere it’s used

coynie09
    Free Member

Been using this place lately for any grease iv’e wanted good price & fast delivery https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/cbennissuppliesandservices …….. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392312562904?hash=item5b57a6a4d8:g:C2sAAOSwimddADa9

dirkpitt74

Maxima waterproof or XHP222.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone remember Ebony Lubricants Black Gold? Now that was a waterproof grease if ever there was one.

snotrag

https://www.rocol.com/products/sapphire-2-bearing-grease

This stuff is bright blue, extremely water resistant, made in the UK and dirt cheap, can get it on amazon or ebay easily in bug tubes for tenner or so.

Perfect for mountainbikes, low speed high load stuff and very resistant to washing out. Blue colour makes it nice to use.

tthew

I’ve got an industrial account with ExxonMobil. I reckon a 50kg tub for £180 represents the best VFM. Might last me a while too!

bigyan
    Free Member

Mobil XHP222 500g £10, has the disc with a hole in it to load a mini grease gun (I like to keep my grease “clean”)

It is nice and tacky, is generally good for resisting washout. Only downside would be drag in a road race bike you might use a lighter hub grease and more regular service.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Rocol 12171 400g Sapphire Grease

I’m a right picky git and I’ve been very impressed with it.

Wally

Silkolene RG2- 3rd thumbs up.

DrP

Sometimes, I don’t mind paying a bit more per ml, so as to not have THREE KILOGRAMMES OF GREASE LYING ABOUT!
    How long does that last?

I get it’s great value, but doesn’t it clutter up the workspace?!

DrP

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I regularly re-grease bearings and purge old grease, plus I use it for nearly all general assembly/contact surfaces so I prefer to have a bit lurking around so I don’t run out.

I’ve used RG2 previously and that Rocol Sapphire knocks it into a cocked hat. Dont know about the mobil stuff though.

dc1988

Some grease might be better than others (and sometimes special grease is needed) but generally as long as you are greasing things when they need it then you’ll be ok.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_jIa2WADc

3kg of grease? Grease me up woman!

Any mini grease gun recommendations?

johnnymarone
    Free Member

I have used the green sticky motox grease, cant remember the brand name now, for general assembly purposes, i think its a bit thick for bearings, and on wheel and frame bearings i use the red halfords teflon grease. I bought two small tubes years ago and still got plenty left. Both tubes fit inconspicuously in a drawer. Both do their jobs perfectly well.
    Contrast with having a 3kg tub hanging around the place. If you have another use for it outside tinkering with bikes then that is a good reason to have 3kg of grease but otherwise, why not just get the nice stuff for your very expensive bike? Assembly grease and bearing grease might have different consistencies and tendencies, i know mine do.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

I’ve used all sorts of greases industrially, from ones which had the consistency of cake dough for reciprocating chucks to the stuff thats so thin its almost oil. Use the best grease for the job is what I would say, the cost is insignificant compared to the cost of your bike anyway.
    For the record, the red teflon grease from halfords with the consistency of those set French yoghurts is by far the best wheel bearing grease I ever used. Not saying its the ultimate but its the best I’ve used at a decent price. Sooooo slippy.

breninbeener

Also looking for a mini grease gun recommendation please

whatgoesup

Also looking for a mini grease gun recommendation please

Dualco

qwerty
    Free Member

I get it’s great value, but doesn’t it clutter up the workspace?!

DrP

Some say, it’s better to have too much lube available, than none at all.

theotherjonv

My grandad always used to say ‘look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’

But I have to also agree, buying a 3kg tub because it’ll last 10 years for £20 vs a 500g pot for a tenner that’ll last 2…..

That saves £3 a year….. to use on your £1500 (and the rest) bike.

And all that tied up investment, think of the cash flow

welshfarmer

We get through about 20 of the 400g tubes the course of a year keeping all the machinery greased up. This is stuff that works some bit harder in an hour than most bikes will in a lifetime! £10 a tube??? No thanks. Get down your local farm supplies, e.g.,

https://www.moleonline.com/grease-multi-purp-ep2-400g

dyna-ti

but doesn’t it clutter up the workspace?!

DrP

Its the size of a 5lt tin of paint. How small does a workshop need to be that that size of tin clutters it u 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Grease me up baby!’ is closed to new replies.