Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gravity dropper – which one?
  • willv

Three types classic, descended and turbo. Which is best?
    Need long post too and I see they do 425 mm
    Ta

grumm
    Free Member

There's some good comparison charts etc on the gravity dropper website.

I went for the 4" classic non-multi drop version – in theory I could drill another hole to get another drop position but I can't see myself bothering. I have a KSi900 non-remote as well and I would definitely recommend getting a remote version.

The turbo one is basically a bit lighter and I think quicker up/down but the classic works fine for me.

grantway
    Free Member

I went for the same as Grumm thanks to him spotting
    the deal at Wiggle for me.
    In this months Mountain Bike UK magazine have the top
    Auto seatposts reviewed too.

Northwind

Classic if you want cheaper, Turbo if you want lighter and nicer to use. They're both good though. Multi drop, I don't know about other than that none of us can get my mate's one work as well as I'd want it to work. Love my Turbo despite the awkward cable exit.

Descender is just a turbo with no remote. On the plus side the remote kit is only £60-ish delivered from Gravity Dropper and easy to fit, so when you realise you've made a mistake it's not too expensive to rectify 😉 Not that much more than buying the right one in the first place.

grumm
    Free Member

In what way is the Turbo nicer to use? Just a bit less clunky? Pretty pleased with my classic but only used it on a short test ride so far. Having a remote is sooooooo much better.

Northwind

With the turbo the bum tap's not needed- you can push the lever a little and then bum tap, or you can fully depress the lever for instant, alarming release.

grumm
    Free Member

Ooh that sounds a bit scary!

Northwind

Only if you have an irrational fear of choking on your own balls after they get fired at a million miles an hour up through your torso :mrgreen: (the idea is to not be in the way)

grantway
    Free Member

LOL Northwind.
    I have seen the Turbo in action on the Gravity Dropper
    web site the Turbo fires like an un wanted explosion
    my balls gulped so went for the Classic.

willv

Can anyone tell me the min insertion length on their dropper posts?

grantway
    Free Member

Willv what I did for ordering my one was to measure
    the Thompson elite post Orange supplied and swapped
    like for like. IE 400 mm and measured what was left
    exposed, which gave me what adjustment I could have.

Or you can ask the shop/manufacture of your bike and ask
    whats the shortist seatpost you can have for your bike.

willv

I have 410mm thomson now which I am only 20 mm above min line. So I reckon a 425 mm will be best bet.

Northwind

I think it's 70mm minimum. I'll have a look later if I remember.

Northwind

80mm on mine

Oh, the thing with the turbo is that the "bum tap" still works, so it does everything the classic does but has the option of, er, bum-free activation as an extra, which can only be better really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gravity dropper – which one?’ is closed to new replies.