Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Graviemore gravel event Sept 17th/18th – anyone going?
  • 13thfloormonk

As luck would have it I was going to be passing through Aviemore anyway that weekend and looking to do a gravel ride on the Saturday, so the entry fee for two nights camping + riding + food looks fairly reasonable.

Could only ride the Saturday though so hoping other peeps would be doing a long route on the Saturday and saving the short routes for a hungover Sunday.

The alternative is riding by myself, campsite near town and two nights at the Old Bridge Inn, equally tempting! 😎

Anyone else considering it?

longdog
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up. I’m not normally into ‘events’ but that sounds just the thing.

Me and a mate are thinking about it and our logistics. Both got instant passes agreed from the wives anyway 😁

13thfloormonk

Cheers for the heads up. I’m not normally into ‘events’ but that sounds just the thing.

Yeah, it doesn’t sound like it will be about the average speed or racing but about chilled riding, which suits me fine as I’d be en route to a CX race on the Sunday (very low expectations so perfectly happy to put 100km of gravel in the legs on the Saturday).

Is it wrong that the only thing putting me off is the vegan catering? 😆

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, I may have supplementary supplies! My friend is from shetland, so I’ll be requesting he brings down some sassermaet 😂

13thfloormonk

Actually we had some awesome vegan flapjack at an event in the Lakes, so as long as they can rustle up some sort of pasta dish or a vegan chilli dish I can deal with it.

Unless it means porridge kade with water in the morning! 😬

longdog
    Free Member

I’ll eat whatever, no issue with vegan fair, but I’ll have extras! 😁

longdog
    Free Member

That’s me signed up 😁

scotroutes

The vegan food will probably be whatever Andy has salvaged from his polytunnel 😉

It’s the same weekend as the Cairngorms Loop group start which means I’ll be in Blair Atholl on the Saturday morning. I’ll see if I can make it along at some point though.

13thfloormonk

Done. Will smuggle some Biltong into the tent if needs be 😎

scotroutes

i thought there was going to be a “Bring Your Own” BBQ area too?

Any idea how long to BBQ a capercaillie leg?

Edit: only on the Friday night

13thfloormonk

i thought there was going to be a “Bring Your Own” BBQ area too?

Good point! I’d sort of assumed it would be bad form to rock up with dripping slabs of raw meat given that rest of the catering was vegan though 😎

Any idea how long to BBQ a capercaillie leg?

😆

Joking aside I don’t actually care, crisps beer and big piles of carbs are all I ask for a good riding weekend 👍

bri-72

Sounds good , fairly local to me but thinking of booking up. Which bike tho, gravel or hard tail. Hmmm.

13thfloormonk

Sounds good , fairly local to me but thinking of booking up. Which bike tho, gravel or hard tail. Hmmm.

The teaser pics on the website (no routes posted yet) show a good variety of stuff, looks like some good lochside singletrack on bits. I would have taken the MTB with semi slick tyres but still haven’t figured out a comfortable bar setup for long rides, 2hrs is my max! 🙄

13thfloormonk

The guys at Backcountrybikes are about to update the website with a menu, suffice to say it all sounds very hearty and very tasty, am reassured! 😎

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, grubs up.

Assume we’ll get gpx’s emailed the week before? My friend is desperate to look at them in advance to spot extra veloviewer tile grabs off them along the way 🤣

13thfloormonk

Assume we’ll get gpx’s emailed the week before?

Yeah I assume so. Is a shame organisers can’t issue ahead for leisurely perusal but it prevents freeloaders I guess 😂

Merak

I’ve entered this too.

Be nice to meet up with fellow STW’rs share a beer and a burger/halloumi burger.

bri-72

Halloumi vegan? who new 😃

longdog
    Free Member

Anyone else signed up?

If there are going to be any groups forming for rides I’ll be in the pootle round and enjoy the view. My mate who’s coming will be at the other end of the spectrum 😂

I may even bring my hardtail 😣 and a note from my Mam about my buggered wrists 😜

scotroutes

I’m still hoping to make it along once I’ve seen the CL folk away at Blair Atholl. I reckon I could make it to the site for 9:30 or so.

I’ll definitely be in the scenic-pootling crew.

longdog
    Free Member

Be good to finally meet Scotroutes 👍

bri-72

Now booked, looking forward to it.

13thfloormonk

I’m in the ‘value for money’ camp, can only ride Saturday but don’t want to be too burst for Sunday, so looking to do a long loop (not sure about the 100 mile route the organisers hinted at though…) but at an easy enough pace with lots of food stops!

Certainly keen to join an STW roll out for 9:30am Saturday, will be on a white/green Rourke with blue anodised mini-Vs 👍

bri-72

Undecided whether I’ll be on my Camino or go 29er (‘splitter’!!). My mate who’s coming only got 29er HT so not sure.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh I’ll be either my Topstone, or my Charge cooker 3 29er but with some less aggressive tyres on it. I’m after a full value couple of rides, just not fast (cos I’m not 🤣), but not a century.

13thfloormonk

Undecided whether I’ll be on my Camino or go 29er (‘splitter’!!). My mate who’s coming only got 29er HT so not sure.

Sort of wish I could bring the 29er but haven’t spent enough time on it this year and bizarrely find it less comfortable over any sort of distance compared to the gravel bike. Need to get that sorted!

longdog
    Free Member

Got your emails with the routes?

I need to have a good look over the weekend. The 126k and 200k routes cover routes I’ve not ridden before, but I’m not really able for that amount just now. My friend has plans to do the 126k

I’ve still not been right up to Loch Eanaich, so might tag that on to one of the routes that goes through Rothiemurchus.

13thfloormonk

Yep! Would have loved a big day in good company on the 200km loop, but I’m not actually sure I’ve EVER ridden 200km, let alone on gravel and the day before a CX race 🙄

126km loop for me I think, it takes in almost all new terrain for me including stuff I’ve been wanting to ride for a while now.

The Burma Road loop would be excellent also, am a bit torn to be honest, wish I was doing both days now…

scotroutes

Feel free to ask for advice 😉

Loch Eanaich is do-able on a gravel bike but the return will be much, much more enjoyable on a hardtail.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh I was thinking the Burma road loop too, but I’ve done much of it and I’m not chomping at the bit to do the Burma road again just now 😂

Longest single ride is 204km, but not off road and quite some time ago, so the 200 was never an option for me.

I’ve done a good chunk of the route up to Loch Eanaich Scotroutes on the HT and remember it being a nice fly back down, so I guess yeh it wouldn’t be so much fun on the Topstone. See how I feel as I’d like to ‘tick it off’.

I’m thinking routes 3 & 4 at a steady pace with time for the views for me at the moment. Some nice new rides without killing myself too much.

13thfloormonk

Actually since you offered Svotroutes, any reason not to detour from the usual Pattack to Loch Laggan up-and-over, in order to see the (upper) Falls of Pattack? Could rejoin the route via the Laggan Road easily enough…

scotroutes

Sure. Take a left at Gallovie, past the sawmill, to avoid a bit of road.

I haven’t seen all the routes but I’m guessing that’s why Andy was asking me about the Ruthven – Loch Cuaich options 😄

scotroutes

Oops

longdog
    Free Member

Is that the tracks to the linn of pattack and down to the main road you mean 13thfloor monk?

That 126k route Looks very inviting, as does the diversion via the falls. I might have to see if I can crop up a shorter version for me to get the highlights… 🤔

longdog
    Free Member

Vaguely the red line? Not plotted, just drawn on phone!

13thfloormonk

I haven’t seen all the routes but I’m guessing that’s why Andy was asking me about the Ruthven – Loch Cuaich options

I’ve had the exact route plotted on my Strava for ages, much diligent research 😎

Thanks for the sawmill intel, I’d seen it on the Walkhighlands 1:25000 but couldn’t be bothered researching if it was clear.

Edit: Longdog yeah that’s it. The original route is very nice though, but I’ve ridden it recently. Think the falls diversion might cut out some climbing

longdog
    Free Member

Cutting some climbing wont upset me 😁 I see the saw mill link Scotroutes mentioned now to avoid the road

bri-72

Done most of the shorter ones or bits of, buts looks enough new bits to tempt. Weather and bar/cafe options en route may be the decider🍻

13thfloormonk

Weather and bar/cafe options en route may be the decider

May need to investigate extending Route 6 into town for the sake of pints at the Old Bridge Inn 😎

Also Scotroutes – Friday evening I’m considering dumping gear at site, parking at Coylumbridge, walking into town, stocking up then grabbing some takeaway pizzas from Cheese and Tomatin then grabbing a Taxi back to the site, are Taxis OK in town?

scotroutes

are Taxis OK in town?

Usually available, sometimes not instantly. You might end up with cold pizza 🙂

FWIW, the cool kids all drink at the Balavoulin these days. The OBI tends to concentrate on eaters rather than drinkers (profit margin?)  Nice outdoor heaters at the OBI though, which will likely be required given the prevailing temperatures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.