Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gravel route from Newburgh to North Queensferry
  • didnthurt

I’ve ridden parts of the Fife Coastal path many times but never the full length. After watching James Lamb’s video, I’m now thinking of doing this in the Summer. But I’d plan to do it from the house as a loop (over 2 days) so need some advice from the Finish in Newburgh back to the Forth road bridge. Can anyone share a gpx file, or advise on the best route?

James Lamb’s video: https://youtu.be/v5dY_kIj2kk?si=bLUV-HNy-g7yyrww

And Strava activity: https://strava.app.link/EDxBiqMUFHb

SSS
    Free Member

If i were doing it (offroad as much as possible) id come in from the back of Newburgh into Pitmedden.
    Come out at Auchtermuchty. Head over the Lomonds through Falkland estate – Craigmead then over past Harperleas.
    Head onto the Pilgrims Trail from Leslie all the way to Dunfermline, then the Pilgrim Trail from Dunfermline to North Queensferry.

Fife Pilgrim Way

piemonster

Wot he said.

I’m also not sure of how much between St Andrew’s and maybe Kingsbarns I’d want to bother with.

piemonster

Oh, and the bridge in Aberdour is rebuilt, so you dont have to time that with the tides/detour.

13thfloormonk

I’m also not sure of how much between St Andrew’s and maybe Kingsbarns I’d want to bother with.

It WAS mostly good from Kingsbarns to Boarhills, a couple of wee fiddly bits in the sand dunes and one section where I think you are committed to the sand, but lots of nice wee trails otherwise. HOWEVER I’d read there has been some recent coastal erosion along that section so not sure what the current state of play is. You can come uphill at Cambo or at Kingsbarnes, take in some lovely singletrack and join and old gravel track that passes by the old RAF airfield (I think) and then minor road back to St Andrews.

Once at Newburgh you could keep it coastal (ish) to Perth and grab train home? This is some of my winter gravel/CX stomping ground, so a couple of squashy bits and quite flat, but nice nonetheless.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3199650264257113000

SSS
    Free Member

Just did a quick Komoot route. Looks like this

Newburgh to NQ

piemonster

You could also ride through Pitemedden into Abernethy Glen, down to strathmiglo, back road to Glenlomond but cut across just after Muirs of Kinneswood to head round Loch Leven, or ride the back road to Wester Balgeddie for food at the Larder. Quite a bit more road.

Quite tempted to join you for some of it.

didnthurt

@SSS cheers for that, I’ll look at plotting it onto Strava later. I’ve ridden the Pilgrims way before and really enjoyed it.

I’m tempted to ride it on the my Stooge instead of my cx bike. Would make the beach sections more fun plus it’s super comfy.

didnthurt

@piemonster

Quite tempted to join you for some of it.

I’ll keep you posted on my plans.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.