Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gravel frame – Sonder Camino v Merlin G2X
  • dirkpitt74

So (still) thinking of building a gravel bike.
    I had thought of getting the Merlin Malt G2 Claris and just changing/swapping/selling the bits I didn’t want (wheels & drive train…).
    Was going to go 1×9 Microshift with dropper post, only the Merlin frames don’t have dropper routing and the G2 is all external routing and the G2X is internal.
    So thinking now that frame only & build up will be the better way of doing it – already have a spare set of 650b wheels and a couple of other bits.
    How do the 2 frames Camino and Malt G2X compare?
    Prices are pretty similar and the G2X comes with a head set.

ads678

Max tyre size on the merlin is only 40mm 700c and 42mm 650b. Whereas the Camino is 50mm 700c & 2.2″ for 650b.

For me that would be the deal breaker.

jon_n
    Free Member

I’ve got a G2P (which I think is the same frame) – I think you could probably get wider tyres on than quoted.

I’ve just fitted 700c x 38 Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres (which are supposed to come up wider than quoted) and there’s still a fair bit of clearance around the stays, however mudguard clearance on the back is getting very tight between the tyre and the mudguard/seatstay bridge.

It’s worth bearing in mind that some of the Merlins don’t come with drillings for front mudguards in the fork crown, but some others do. Mine did, someone else on here has one that didn’t.

If I wanted to build a ‘full on’ gravel (or bikepacking) bike, I’d probably go for the Sonder. I’d say that the Merlin is it the ‘road’ end of the gravel spectrum, the Sonder more at the ‘Gnarrvel’ end 😉

ads678

It’s worth bearing in mind that some of the Merlins don’t come with drillings for front mudguards in the fork crown

SKS Speedrockers FTW.

matt_outandabout

It’s worth bearing in mind that some of the Merlins don’t come with drillings for front mudguards in the fork crown

That is me. The lower mounts were inserted back to front, the top mounts / bolts missing altogether.
    I have used zip ties and velcro, but it is not as secure as I would hope for.

As above, it is designed around skinnier tyres and a slightly steeper/CX/lower at front geometry that the Sonder. I like the bike, it does my 80% road riding, commuting, forest tracks and general ‘do it all’ riding well.

I would though like a higher front, wider tyre clearance and more mounts. Just like the Sonder…
    (and I would probably go more a touring bike, complete with flat bars if I did it again…)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kT7vUW]Strathyre, Balqhidder and Inverlochlarig[/url] by Matt, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2knyXke]Merlin G2P Gravel Bike[/url] by Matt, on Flickr

montylikesbeer

I have an AL Camino in a medium and its a delight.

The frame gives great feedback and is capable off road as well as hacking our on roads all day.

I went for the custom build with 1 x 11 Rival 1, but swapped out the chain ring for an Absolute Black 38T oval.

The 2022 frame as I understand has internal dropper routing so its an evolution from by 2021 frame.

Happy trails

dirkpitt74

@montylikesbeer – thanks for the info.
    Does the 2021 frame not have internal dropper routing?

breninbeener

The new Camino has gone a little slacker at the front with a different head angle.

The reach has also been lengthened and its designed around a 50mm stem now.

Ian

montylikesbeer

The 2021 has no preperation for a dropper at all.

To be honest I have not had the need for one so far with my riding being Pennine Moors, blue/easy red type natural trails and carting around B roads.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    Will probably go for the newer frame then for the sake of £50.

momo

My 2021 Camino AL frame (delivered July) does have internal dropper routing

dirkpitt74

@momo thanks for the info – is it a 31.6 seat post?
    What length stem have you gone for?

momo

No, it’s a 27.2 and I’ve got a 90mm on there at the moment

dove1

Camino frame and forks are on sale at Alpkit/Sonder.

2021 model is now £350 (27.2mm seat post)

2022 model is £399 (31.6mm seat post)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gravel frame – Sonder Camino v Merlin G2X’ is closed to new replies.