Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gravel bike recommendations; bit of road/bridleways/gravel paths/singletrack
  • cokie

I started a job last year where I get a chance to ride for an hour every lunch.
    I bought a cheap Whyte Whitechapel as hack to leave at work.
    null

The local riding is what I would guess is ‘Gravel riding’; road, footpaths, bridleways, farmers track and some light singletrack.

Needless to say that I’ve been loving it! Riding around 12 miles a day, averaging 16.5mph on the road loops. It’s been so enjoyable having a bike that’s plenty fast enough yet capable of offorading.

Anyway, I’m at a point where I’d like a better/dedicated gravel bike. I know that I want slightly bigger tyres (currently 38 rear and 35 front). My 1×9 has been working well.

Currently looking at something like the Whyte Glenco? Not sure on the tangible differences bewteen 700 vs 650b+.

Any recommendations? Price is lose- £200-1500.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Cannondale Topstone…
    Kinesis G2
    Genesis Fugio
    Trek Checkpoint

700c is faster, but 650b gives the opportunity for better comfort from larger volume tyres with the caveat that there is only a small selection of 650b tyres to choose from currently.

ta11pau1

Watch for a sale on an On-one Space Chicken.

You won’t get more for your money.

I paid £1400 for full carbon, force 1 groupset and hydro brakes. 9.5kg with pedals. Mines a 650b running wtb byways.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Currently 15% off at Alpkit on their Sonder range. Definitely worth a look

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Trek Checkpoint or Trek Crockett work well both even though the Crockett is a cross bike but much lighter.

MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose D3 – the subcompact gearing is fantastic for a gravel bike.

scruff
    Free Member

650b can be better for cramming wider tyres into the stays but its not necessarily giving you more comfort as I could tell the improved rollover when I went from 650b to 700c on my gravel commuter.

tinribz
    Free Member

Comes down to momentum vs acceleration IME. I prefer the latter. But there is no reason you cant have two sets of wheels 🙂

dudeofdoom

@ta11pau1 You’ve left the sticky tape on the rear mech them not really green 🙂

If I didn’t have a pimp gravelbike i’d go chicken and two sets of wheels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike recommendations; bit of road/bridleways/gravel paths/singletrack’ is closed to new replies.