Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Grassing up a work colleague
  • Kryton57

A while ago, I posted a thread about a work colleague whom I was helping out, yet he was taking the acclaim.

So, as the pressure mounts, he’s displaying increasing public displays of cant/won’t which my boss is redirecting onto me as I can / have. So I’m getting the can do / will do reputation. I’m ensuring any email help (some of which is becoming way more junior than it should be in his position ) is cc’d so people are aware – in fact he is doing this as he feels the need to defend himself.

I’ve just run a very successful £1.6m campaign and done other small exercise in his place whilst he’s sloped off, made excuses and has generally been MIA

Now to the point. A Director had returned from Holiday and asked me (via email) for a full report on these activities and what my colleagues involvement and actions have or haven’t been.

I feel theirs enough “out there” without me having to reply to that email, which I suspect at least will mean a written warning or even a job loss. Thing is, I don’t want to be a grass, or lose someone a job – I keep thinking how I’d feel in the same situation.

What to do?

sadexpunk

just be honest.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Give your Director the report he asked for!

Kuco

As sadexpunk says just be honest.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes, give the director the report and make sure it is truthful, factual and honest.

galactus
    Free Member

+1 for honesty

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The truth is the truth and it’s not your fault.

timraven

If he’s asked for a report he must have an idea about the guys behavior, so if you’re not honest it could come back and bite you. Just tell it like it is.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I bet the director knows what is/has been going on. Be honest and factual.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The truth is the truth and it’s not your fault.

^^This^^

Why this fear of “grassing up”? You’re just telling the truth and making the business better. Which is why you’re there.

labsey
    Free Member

Be honest mate. All you can do.

sundaywobbler

Think of it from the perspective of what would you want if it was your own business? Would you be happy if someone was covering up for a colleagues shortfalls?

Just be honest but do it in a professional and constructive manner, nothing worse than a director seeing an email which seems to be a rant…

I would strongly suggest that the email from the director needs to be answered, you never know they may have been building a case behind the scenes? As a director I would want to know that my staff were pulling for the company rather than hiding something from me, especially in a potential poor staff performance matter.

And you are not being a ‘grass’ just answering questions from a director of the company and based on the fact you are moaning about this colleague means you should at least make it known what has been happening…

HTH

sunday

big_scot_nanny

As all have said.

Be factual in everything, do not offer any opinion or judgement (difficult).

Focus on what happened, rather than what did not (i.e. rather than saying “xxx did nothing to answers customer enquiries”, tell them what did happen e.g. “customer enquiries were quickly handled by yyy and zzz”)

Feel totally confident that what you write, you would be happy to tell to the persons face.

Job done, good luck, not easy but you will feel great.

Kev

Chew
    Free Member

It may be best to avoid writing anything down and just meet with your director in person for a chat.

You can then get him to lead the conversation, and answer the questions he wants answering without having anything in writing which ‘could’ come back around to you.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

write a polite email stating that you don’t want to talk bad of a co-worker…..nobody likes a grass and if he has seen the extra work you have been doing and is eyeing you up for promotion, the people working at the next level up certainly dont want to be working alongside one. just point him in the direction of the evidence he needs which as a director he probably has already seen
    edit; chew’s idea seems even better

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Focus on what you have done NOT what he hasn’t.

stevewhyte – Member

Focus on what you have done NOT what he hasn’t.

Best advice so far

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nobody likes a grass

Really? If one of my staff was under performing really badly and no one told me, it would be those who didn’t tell me I wouldn’t like. If someone told me, I wouldn’t suddenly say, “Oh, he’s a grass. Nasty. I better not like him any more”

It’s not “grassing up”. It’s an honest appraisal of the situation.

Pogo
    Free Member

As Chew says.
    Before putting it in an email just have a chat with your Director.
    emails can sometimes be misinterpreted and when someones job might be riding on it it might be as well to make absolutely sure where you will stand if you say x about y.

davidjones15
    Free Member

It’s not “grassing up”. It’s an honest appraisal of the situation.

It would be considered grassing by the grass’s colleagues, wouldn’t it?

damo2576
    Free Member

If one of my staff was under performing really badly and no one told me, it would be those who didn’t tell me I wouldn’t like.

If you have an under performing member of YOUR staff you shouldn’t be relying on someone else to tell you.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just state facts. Offer no opinion. He will/should be able to take what he needs by what’s NOT written.

slowmart
    Free Member

You need to be honest and transparent.

The personal workloads and effectiveness won’t have gone un-noticed, hence the formal request from your director.

Have an off the record chat with your director if that makes things easier and share your concerns. but you will need to follow up with a written report. You can’t reproach yourself for someone else’s shortcomings especially when they have blatantly taken the piss

Good luck

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very true, Damo, very true! 😳

I suppose I meant that if it was something like this, where it appears that others are carrying the dead weight. That sort of thing can be missed.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you have aspirations and want to progress you need to decide which side you’re on and act appropriately.

damo2576
    Free Member

Very true, Damo, very true!

Thanks for understanding my point. I did think about it after and I think you’d be right in certain circumstances, perhaps with a v large team (call center etc?) where you may have 200+ staff. But even then I’d expect some team structure such that direct reports were manageable.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’d say the fact that your director has specifically mentioned that he wants to know what your colleagues contribution has/hasn’t been means he’s already ‘onto’ what’s going on.

Just be honest – say you have been ‘covering’ for your colleague, and say something to the effect of “well, if I hadn’t picked up the slack it wouldn’t have got done” and “I think it’s OK to help people up to a point, but not when they just won’t/can’t learn and it happens all the time”.

Knowing how some directors’ minds work – this might be your only chance. He’ll probably be viewing this as a one-off judgement to clear his conscience and the air in general. In my experience, most directors don’t want to leave any meeting/process with unanswered questions. The fact that your director is taking an interest makes him pretty good in my opinion – a lot don’t give a monkey’s how much strain people are under, just so long as the work gets done.

Also, ask yourself if your colleague would lie and play up their contribution if they were giving the report – it sounds like they’d stiff you given half a chance – no reason to be sentimental.

Don’t sweat it – the chances are your colleague may not be cut out for the work anyway – if they can’t cope, it is in their long-term interests to get it sorted as well. What would happen if you left?

damo2576
    Free Member

To answer the OP it depends if this is normal behaviour from your Director. Does he normally ask for a debrief after a holiday? I would presume so.

Is him asking for “what my colleagues involvement and actions have or haven’t been” in the context he actually asked you the same as the context and with the same meaning you give it above?

I’d just be careful of projecting your perception onto what might be an innocent and quite usual request from your Director.

Either way I’d report back on what you’ve done. There is no need to mention what others haven’t done. He will figure that out and personally I’d prefer it that way (in his position).

Quiet word with the other member of staff wouldn’t go a miss imo and is the way I’d approach the situation.

damo2576
    Free Member

I’d say the fact that your director has specifically mentioned that he wants to know what your colleagues contribution has/hasn’t been means he’s already ‘onto’ what’s going on.

Just be honest – say you have been ‘covering’ for your colleague, and say something to the effect of “well, if I hadn’t picked up the slack it wouldn’t have got done” and “I think it’s OK to help people up to a point, but not when they just won’t/can’t learn and it happens all the time”.

Knowing how some directors’ minds work – this might be your only chance. He’ll probably be viewing this as a one-off judgement to clear his conscience and the air in general. In my experience, most directors don’t want to leave any meeting/process with unanswered questions. The fact that your director is taking an interest makes him pretty good in my opinion – a lot don’t give a monkey’s how much strain people are under, just so long as the work gets done.

Also, ask yourself if your colleague would lie and play up their contribution if they were giving the report – it sounds like they’d stiff you given half a chance – no reason to be sentimental.

Don’t sweat it – the chances are your colleague may not be cut out for the work anyway – if they can’t cope, it is in their long-term interests to get it sorted as well. What would happen if you left?

Few big assumptions there!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I remember something vaguely similar a long time ago. In a chat with the director he revealed he already had a good idea what was going on. Can you not ask for a few minutes?

Kryton57

Cheers all, I’ve taken from this;

a) Be honest and factual
    b) Focus on my own achievements only

Damo, well spotted. Previously after I helped him (under the radar) he took the credit for my work, openly. Seeing as both of us do a similar job on different sides of the fence my Director has spotted the imbalance and therefore my additional effort, and there are several others complaining about said colleague. Both of us work in support roles.

So my Director is aware, and also aware of the importance of what “we” were working on while he was away, hence the request for a report – and he does ask for said colleagues contribution by name.

davidjones15
    Free Member

a) Be honest and factual
    b) Focus on my own achievements only

Nobody likes a meme, be objective. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

As has been said already – there’s a fair chance your Director knows the score. What he now needs to see is where you stand on it and how honest you will be with him. You should be able to report honestly without being judgemental.

damo2576
    Free Member

Damo, well spotted. Previously after I helped him (under the radar) he took the credit for my work, openly. Seeing as both of us do a similar job on different sides of the fence my Director has spotted the imbalance and therefore my additional effort, and there are several others complaining about said colleague. Both of us work in support roles.

So my Director is aware, and also aware of the importance of what “we” were working on while he was away, hence the request for a report – and he does ask for said colleagues contribution by name.

Cool, I’d give him what he wants then.

But as a final point I think its a bit weak of your Director to ask you if the situation and his awareness is as you state. He should be acting without relying on you to provide the smoking gun – knowing the trepidation his request will cause you (as evidenced above!).

I would hope he is not going to sit down the other guy and say “kryton said….”!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I believe this is one of those “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” things isn’t it?

I’m glad I’m self-employed…sometimes. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go have a chat with him. Give him a verbal heads up and agree what should be in the report – ie factual.

Kryton57

Damo, the other guy doesn’t work for him – different team but mutual interests.

The is an opening (redundant position) to go from Business Analyst to Businiess Manager. It’s been kept quiet while the redundancy period wanes. I don’t know, but this could be what it’s about. (I have 6 years management experience prior to this role).

ourmaninthenorth

My response would be: ‘Sure. Let’s chat. When are you free?”

But that’s mainly cos I’m a lawyer, so I wouldn’t commit anything to writing. And I also loathe long emails (as does my boss).

pussywillow
    Free Member

I was always taught that the grass always gets cut.
    Concentrate on yar own wark lad!

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t offer any advice. I mis-read the title as “greasing up a work colleague”. Could’ve helped with that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Grassing up a work colleague’ is closed to new replies.