Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 224 total)
  • Grant Shapps says we need number plates
  • ernielynch

This is what Baroness Vere of Norbiton
    Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport) had to say in answer to a written question less than a year:

The Government has no plans to introduce a mandatory registration scheme for cycle ownership. The costs of doing so would outweigh the benefits, and this would deter many people from cycling particularly if cyclists (including children) had to cover the costs of such a system.

There would be many practical difficulties too: registration plates would need to be large enough to be seen by cameras and other road users, and there is not generally enough space on bikes to allow for this.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2021-11-01.HL3569.h

I don’t know how effective cameras would be in recognising the registration number on a creased tabard of a bent over cyclist riding on the drops.

But I do know that Grant Shapps publicly outing himself as knuckle-dragging halfwit must have made Mick Lynch chuckle today.

markgraylish
    Free Member

So I live abroad. So when I arrive at a UK port of entry with my bike, will there be a little booth for me to buy a bike registration and insurance? And will it be open 24*7*365?

matt_outandabout

To be able to say – “**** you, you twunts – you wanted me taxed, plated and insured – so here I am – now get the **** out of my way!”.

Except there would not be any cyclists! Are you prepared to ask every family to cough up £300 lessons, £37 cycling test, £100+ registration fee, £200+ on an accurate Speedo (only govt. permitted ones of course), plus the £100 head to toe luminous outfit, plus £30 helmet, plus £50 ‘approved’ lights, plus £20 registration plates and mounts, plus £120 insurance, plus £10 reflectors on bike as per BS.
    If you change your bike, you have to re-register and MOT it.
    Then of course you will *have* by law to use that cycle lane, not the road.
    And of course if you ride 2cm further out from the kerb or look at an entitled driver wrong, they will make a repo okrt to the police on 101.
    (Can I also ask if scooters, runners, pedestrians or similar should also be registered and taxed? What about a bike that never goes on the road? What about a bike with two people on, or a baby seat? Trailer test? Pannier licence? Where does it stop?)

It’s ridiculous to consider that a cyclist should be registered and taxed.

This is total dead cat combined with appealing to a certain voter demographic. It is ridiculous.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Oh, and those posters who are arguing whether an “average” cyclist could exceed 20mph for any meaningful distance, you do realise that you’re discussing the UK (hilly) and not the Netherlands (flat)? And that speed limits don’t just apply to the flat parts of the country?
    So, yes, ANY cyclist, irrespective of their fitness can exceed 20mph easily if the gradient is in the favour…
    😃

stick_man

I’ve only scanned through the thread so apols if this has already been said. Shapps has become a dangerous individual not because of number plates but because of the ‘legitimacy’ he gives to moron like himself who see me and my family out enjoying a bike ride as flies to be swatted and without consequence. it’s become difficult to be openly homophobic or racist for the bigoted masses. This is just another channel for some hate, nothing more than that. Grant shapps ypu are a F ING disgrace and an embarrassment to the nation.

belugabob
    Free Member

“Grant Shapps says we need number plates”

Frankie says… relax.

I’m pretty sure that cyclists number plate (and insurance) has already been debated in parliament – and subsequently dismissed as wholly impractical

inkster
    Free Member

This headline occupied the entire front page of the Daily Mail. Must be nothing else happening in the news currently.

Wouldn’t effect most people on here if the police did start policing cyclists more heavily though.

We know this is never going to become law but the police will take it as a signal to stop (and then search) a particular demographic more heavily.

stevedoc
    Free Member

“Oh im sorry officer my number plate must have fallan off while i hit the double black”

I think mr Shat seems to be pissed .. my guess he got smoked by a 14 year old on a 26″ kona stinky while he did the first climb at Degla on his Cheshire Heckler and now wants revenge.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Even if the Daily Fail anti cycling bigots got their way and we did have to adorn our bike with a number plate and have insurance, said bigots would still treat us like vermin when they encounter us on the road.

LAT

i’ve not read the whole thread, i’m too busy to get angry, so sorry if already asked.

how would cycle hire companies manage this?

slackboy

Speed limit thing is utter nonsense. The whole reason for 20 mph limits is to get motorists driving a 1.6 ton metal box to slow down enough so that if they hit someone they’ll break them rather than kill them.

I’m pretty sure that even the most enduro of e-bikes doesn’t weigh anywhere near that so speed isn’t going to be huge contributing factor in a cyclist/pedestrian collision. On top of the fact that sustaining 20mph in built up area is pretty hard for most leisure cyclists.

Same with red lights – I get that motorists would be jealous of someone cycling through a red light – but where’s the danger to anyone in cycling slowly over a crossroads where all the pedestrian lights are green – you just merge with crowd crossing the road.

Other road users need to understand the effort involved for cyclists in stopping and starting for red lights – its completely pointless to stop at an empty pelican and creates unnecessary effort.

However, blasting through reds when other traffic has green lights – that just means you’ve got a deathwish.

tenfoot

Speed limit thing is utter nonsense. The whole reason for 20 mph limits is to get motorists driving a 1.6 ton metal box to slow down enough so that if they hit someone they’ll break them rather than kill them.

Would be nice if drivers could stick to the 20 limit. There is a 20 mph limited section of road near me. When I drive it at 20, I have people tailgating me. If I ride it at 20 (slight downhill – Garmin notified speed), i have cars overtaking me.

The double standards just amaze me (same with RLJs)

soobalias
    Free Member

i will need a response for the rednecks in the pub.

maybe just point out that i dont even have pedal reflectors

ernielynch

On top of the fact that sustaining 20mph in built up area is pretty hard for most leisure cyclists.

I agree, cyclists being forced to comply with speed limits would in most cases make very little difference. Which is presumably why so many cyclists appear unaware that speed limits don’t apply to them.

However I do consider that a cyclist going downhill at 35mph in a 20mph is both unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Not only because of the inability to stop suddenly but because pedestrians and other road users in slow moving traffic are very likely to be caught unaware by a very fast moving silent solitary cyclist.

Even if cyclists are forced to comply with highway speed limits there will still be plenty of opportunities to cycle very fast. There’s really no need to be an arsehole and demand that speed limits should never apply to you. IMHO

dyna-ti

Will there be a little booth for me to buy a bike registration and insurance? And will it be open 24*7*365?

It would only be open between 3pm and 5pm on a Tuesday, and never coincide with any scheduled arrival.

Same with red lights – I get that motorists would be jealous of someone cycling through a red light

Loophole – You arrive at lights just as they change to red, or as a pedestrian crossing signal comes on. Jump off the bike, quickly walk it across then jump back on again.

Then ride off, center of lane as per highway code at about 10mph, so when they catch up with you they’re further held up.

Dont forget to be wearing your riding jacket with ‘Blame Grant Shapps’ and his email address emblazoned on the back.

cookeaa

Given the main objective is to ensure that cyclists have a complete, justified and absolute right to share the roads – both legally and morally that is unequivocal and devoid of a ‘but….’ from the knuckle draggers we must share the planet with…….what would the world look like if we had to have insurance, ‘road tax’ and identification?

Yes it would be a hassle – but most of us manage to get beyond that to get behind a wheel of a car.

I’m not saying I want it, but I would rather like a world without ‘those’ comments from the opposition.The ones used as an excuse for their true predudices. To be able to say – “**** you, you twunts – you wanted me taxed, plated and insured – so here I am – now get the **** out of my way!”.

You’re sort of missing the point, cycling is fundamentally a “free” way of getting about for utility or leisure, start taxing and licencing it and you kill the appeal for huge swathes of people who just want to get to the shops or their Nan’s house. Kids being able to cycle places is a first taste of free movement and introduction to controlling a vehicle. Plus it the health benefits still outweigh the social impact of bicycles by a substantial margin…

simply complying with the unreasonable demands of a bunch of idiots that inexplicably hate a form of transport which is much longer established, far more egalitarian and more socially beneficial than their beloved Cars only emboldens the bastards to look for even more regressive and unnecessary ways to screw up our country…

Grant should only get to even broach the topic of bicycle registration once he intervenes and solves the rail worker strikes, guarantees all passengers a seat, gets rid of the need to pre-book bikes on trains, unfucks HS2, implements plans for proper leccy vehicle charging infrastructure, puts an end to mobile using drivers, backs proper cycling infrastructure in all towns and cities…

He’s not working in the nation’s interest he’s just running interference and trying to keep his cabinet spot by proving he can work the same dog whistles as Liz… My Money is on a sideways promotion to health. The new boss will need an ineffectual puppet there to repeats slogans while she quietly chops away…

mrdestructo

If you hit an OAP and on the ck them down resulting in them breaking a hip, isn’t their life expectancy only 20% surviving more than 2 years? (Loss of mobility, causing health problems, resulting in early death) current rules on “a year and a day” aren’t compatible with how angry that’s making petrolheads feel.

I remember when we had to take our bikes into the police station to have a die stamped into the BB shell with a unique registration number and pay our zim$10 annual fee. If the die broke your BB shell there was no comeback.

OH, amd I was living under Mugabe.

Grant Shagabe!

dudeofdoom

What is it 2 deaths a year caused by bike vs 1700(300ish being kids) caused by cars which already have an infrastructure for policing the speed.

Yep that cyclings a big problem.

Not being funny but these people are happy to shite on you and your beach.

My leccy bill went up but not 200% and the vat rate was discounted and a windfall tax was applied – honestly I work from home have no gas or solar and its 100-120 euros a month.
    (and this has been going on for months).

The petrol was discounted by 20c a litre and bus/ rail travel tickets had a 30% discount and some multi travel commuter tickets ar now free till the end of the year.

Your lot are sitting it out and milking you whilst saying everyones in same boat throwing the odd populist thing out to distract that they are happy for you to be in a shit position.

(sorry for getting on my political soapbox – but sat on the outside gives a different viewpoint and it irks me how they keep getting away with it)

MoreCashThanDash

Grant Shagabe

That’s a mental image none of us needed!

dudeofdoom

If you hit an OAP and on the ck them down resulting in them breaking a hip, isn’t their life expectancy only 20% surviving more than 2 years

As opposed to doing the job properly and hitting them with a car which is an ‘accident’ 🙁
    (dunno how to do an ironic smiley)

a11y

Guardian article this morning: “This media coverage matters. Some studies have linked anti-cycling media coverage to drivers being more aggressive towards cyclists on the roads.”

As evidenced by me this morning on a pre-work cycle. Plodding up a quiet road when a car approaches from behind, slows alongside me, the driver shouts “Where’s your licence plate mate” before accelerating away.

Grant Shapps, a weapons-grade see you next Tusday.

ernielynch

slows alongside me, the driver shouts “Where’s your licence plate mate” before accelerating away.

They were obviously having a laugh.

There’s too much road rage and not enough banter on the roads these days.

TiRed

To be fair, I commuted into Oxford for five years with a small “1 LESS CAR” number plate on the back of my bike. It was made up by Halfords and I mounted it with an old Never Ready lamp bracket.

Both of my kids rode to school with insurance from family CTC membership. I’m not averse to third party insurance, and would rather like to see legal e-scooters under the same scheme. Just ones limited to a reasonable speed!

IdleJon

Can only be done for “cycling furiously”. Which is almost impossible to prove or prosecute.

Anybody else want a conviction for cycling furiously or is it just me?

I often cycle furiously, and arrive at work or home furious, after yet another too-close encounter with yet another moronic road user. Is that the sort of furious they are talking about? 😀

fossy

My son has a vinyl cutter, and he’s some yellow in stock. Might ask for TANK 1 for my commuter MTB, or something rude !

oldnpastit

If you don’t like it, join whichever political party in your constituency is most likely to get the Tories out.

If you don’t you are tacitly supporting Mr Shaops’ proposals.

jameso

Industry comment on this today had a link to the response to this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/585474

This response was given on 21 December 2021

The Government has no plans to introduce any such requirements for cyclists. The current trials of rental e-scooters will inform future policy on them.

The Government considers that the costs of a formal registration system for cycle ownership would outweigh the benefits. The safety case for such a system is not as strong as that for drivers since, by contrast with motorised vehicles, cycles involved in collisions on the highway are highly unlikely to cause serious injury to other road users.

Cycling provides clear benefits, both for those cycling (particularly in terms of health) and for wider society (tackling congestion, reducing CO2 emissions and improved air quality). The introduction of a licensing system would significantly reduce these benefits, especially over the short term. Over the long term, it would deny children and young adults from enjoying the mobility and health benefits cycling brings until they were old enough to pass a formal test.

The introduction of a system of licensing would also be likely to lead to a reduction in the number of people cycling. This would be at odds with the Prime Minister’s plans to boost walking and cycling. The Prime Minister’s Cycling and Walking Plan (Gear Change) can be viewed here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycling-and-walking-plan-for-england.

Furthermore, the National Travel Survey indicates that a very high proportion of people who cycle regularly also hold a driving licence. The absence of a licensing system does not prevent a cyclist from being liable for their actions. The police and ultimately the courts, can take into account all the circumstances of an incident and judge accordingly.

Cycle lanes, where provided, offer people cycling an alternative to cycling in the main carriageway, but it is not compulsory to use them and the Government has no plans to change this. The majority of people cycling generally use cycle lanes, but there are times when it may be more appropriate for them to use the main carriageway, such as when they are overtaking slower people cycling or avoiding obstructions on the cycle lane, or where it offers a faster, more direct route.

The Government has announced ambitious plans for walking and cycling, and has committed an unprecedented £2 billion of funding for active travel over 5 years which includes the roll-out of segregated cycle lanes in towns and cities and offering cycle training to everyone who wants to undertake it, whether free or at a nominal charge. This investment coupled with the recently announced changes to The Highway Code will deliver increased safety for the most vulnerable road users and ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users.

The Government is currently running trials of rental e-scooters to assess their safety and the impacts they have on the road and to inform the development of future policy. 31 trial areas are currently operating across England.

Trial e-scooters are limited to 15.5 mph and are exempted from vehicle registration and licensing requirements. E-scooters must not be used on pavements. Those taking part in the trials need a full or provisional driving licence, meaning that the minimum age of those using the scooters should be 16 years old. Cycle helmets are strongly recommended but are not mandatory. All trial e-scooters must meet minimum construction standards and have a minimum of third-party insurance provided by the e-scooter operator.

Guidance on the rules for trials has been published at: http://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users.

Outside of the rental trials, e-scooters are still subject to the Road Traffic Act 1988 and are defined as a type of motor vehicle. Users of e-scooters will need to have insurance, driving licences, number plates and helmets, and the vehicles will need to meet the relevant construction requirements. The law was not drafted with e-scooters in mind, so users of e-scooters will find it a challenge to comply. Guidance on this can be found at: http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/powered-transporters/information-sheet-guidance-on-powered-transporters.

Department for Transport

Date closed
    7 December 2021

desperatebicycle

I think mr Shat seems to be pissed ..

More likely to be high than pissed.

jimmy748

Next they will want us to carry GPS devices, and track our every ride.

Klunk
    Free Member

that may very well be the case when all cars are autonomous.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I think we can safely just ignore this for what it is – a quick populist 10minute headline to distract from all the other Tory failings.
    It’s worked too – 5 pages/189 posts and god knows how many collective minutes spent on something that isn’t cost of living crisis, climate crisis, fuel crisis etc.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, join whichever political party in your constituency is most likely to get the Tories out.

If you don’t you are tacitly supporting Mr Shaops’ proposals.

Are you bollocks. Even if I became a fully paid up SNP* member tomorrow what difference do you think that would make? (to say nothing about any ideological differences I may have with said party)

Or do you mean at national level? Yeah I could join Labour but I’d rather shit in my hands and clap than vote for the wasters that usually turn up at election time. The last one that got elected spent all her time trying to find ways to **** over the industry I work in whilst the unions were trying to get us to vote Labour to save jobs. Couldn’t make it up.

intheborders
    Free Member

to say nothing about any ideological differences I may have with said party

We welcome all Scots.

rhinofive

funkmasterp
    Can only be done for “cycling furiously”. Which is almost impossible to prove or prosecute.

Anybody else want a conviction for cycling furiously or is it just me?

at the end of one year at uni many moons ago I discovered a wrongly addressed envelope with my name on it in the post room which was a summons to the local court for that very offence. Presumably a fellow student had been nabbed and given my name and guessed (incorrectly) at halls room number.

I went to the local plod station to say “not me guv” but they said I’d need to see somebody at the courts to sort it out. Bloke I saw listened to my tale then went to check if they’d issued a warrant for my arrest for not attending ‘my’ trial. I exited stage left so never knew if I had a ‘wanton and furious’ conviction in absentia but rather hope I do!

ernielynch

There won’t be any need if you have had the so-called “covid vaccination”.

sirromj

I’ll vote for the political party that incentives people into regular bicycle commuting by giving them tax breaks.

I cycle commute daily as do many on here, would be nice if it was incentivised by the government, rather than what we have, to get more people on bicycles and cars off the road.

ernielynch

Like the tax incentive in the Cycle to Work scheme?

sirromj

No because that needs employer to get involved and not all employers want to (ie mine) – have I got that right, I’ve never worked anywhere where it was available.

Hmmmm…. I don’t know anything about it TBH. Does it take much work from the employer’s side of things? Is there a thread on here about convincing employer to get on board with it?

ernielynch

I have never used the cycle to work scheme either so can’t help you sirromj.

There is also this scheme which also gives tax incentives but again I don’t know anything about it other than what it says in the link

https://www.greencommuteinitiative.uk/employees/

Edit: This the link for your employer:

https://www.greencommuteinitiative.uk/employers/

tthew

200!

Green commute, bikes to work, (Halfords) and Evans run one amongst others.

Yes, it does take some administrative effort to organise, contracts and payroll adjustments a d such. For the kind of employer that offers a perks package anyway, probably not too onerous.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.