Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Grant Shapps says we need number plates
  • magoos_mate
    Free Member

Just another day under these absolute cretins.

cookeaa

Grant needs to deal with a whole bunch of other transport and road safety issues before he can justify a propaganda war on bicycle users…

mrdestructo

Do said number plates have sharp edges? Perhaps the anti-cycling brigade are just trying to cull the herd?

kayak23

I don’t even pay road tax.

stingmered
    tthew

What an absolute bell end. I was ambivalent about the prison sentences for “killer cyclists” because it is vanishingly unlikely to actually impact anyone, but this is effing stupid and would affect everyone. And reduce the number of people cycling.

I hope his balls turn square and fester at the edges.

tomhoward

Whitehall review is also said to suggest cycling speed limits, along with licence penalty points and fines

See the killer cyclists thread, told you.

It was never about punishing at the extremes, it was to Introduce more widesweeping laws for everyone

crazy-legs

This is all that the Tories have.
    Distraction and populist bullshit. They know how it’ll play to the Daily Wail brigade and the gammons and they know it’ll take a load of comments and clickbait away from cost of living, Brexit, leadership etc so yep, wheel it out!

Shapps is an utter moron – as Transport Secretary he’s presided over timetable chaos, strike actions, a total watering down of HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail and he’s done very little for Active Travel. He’s also in an ongoing fight with TfL/Sadiq Khan, largely based on “me Tory, you Labour”. Although he’s marginally better than his predecessor, Chris Grayling so there’s that small positive I suppose…

Still a bellend though!

Spin
    Free Member

Nobody does.

tuboflard

he’s marginally better than his predecessor, Chris Grayling

Not a particularly high bar to clear though is it? I have to deal with DfT on an almost daily basis at work. Constant u-turns, dreamt up overnight policy initiatives and generally officers at the end of their tether due to the politicians in charge.

Bruce

Just trying to imagine a TDF uk stage with number plate and speed limits.

kerley
    Free Member

Whitehall review is also said to suggest cycling speed limits, along with licence penalty points and fines

Which would add even more requirements of the cyclist;
    – You need a speedo to know what speed you are going if there is a speed limit (assuming theses are lower limits that 30 and 20 which are largely irrevelant to cyclists)
    – You need a license to get penalty points (which assuming not a car driver you won’t have)

crazy-legs

Oh yeah, none of this has been thought through in the slightest. Knee jerk popularity thing designed to create some outrage from cyclists and a frantic circle jerk of joy for Daily Wail readers.

All cyclists to have speedometer = some sort of mandatory installation and standardisation process (££££), cycling licences to endorse with points, some sort of cycling ID/numberplate to identify the miscreants. It’s totally unworkable and would cost billions but he doesn’t care about that, he’s just putting it out there as a standard anti-cycling clickbait (complete with the “I think cycling is wonderful but…” which is kind of equivalent to saying “some of my best friends are black / gay / immigrants but…”)

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So will my 7 year old niece need to have a speedo and number plate on her Disney Princess bike so she can ride to the park?

Not gonna happen. Won’t get past any sort of scrutiny.

duncancallum

Just another load of ****

I can’t wait to see all the frothy group tuggathons in the comments on the reports in papers and FB

scratch
    Free Member

Who the hells got time to enforce this anyway?

onehundredthidiot

Hurrah, can we get a big UK plate for cycling abroad. Mainly so we can be avoided by sensible members of the planet.

davros

Good luck with that Grant 🤣

spooky_b329

Particularly where you’ve got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists

Ooh, does that mean the police will start enforcing the 20mph speed limits for cars too? I’m sure when the limits were brought in for Brighton & Hove, the police said they would not be actively enforcing them as they don’t have the resources, and good road design involves making changes to reinforce the lower limit (different surfaces, a shared central lane with dashed cycle lanes that cars can use to pass each other, shared pedestrian space (no kerbs). Stuff thats not practical to do when you put a blanket 20mph limit across a small city)

zippykona

How much will the subsequent “war on counterfeit number plates” cost?

igm

What would the number plate apply to?
    Frame? Already has a number normally, too small to read but a plate big enough to read isn’t going to work.
    Forks? Wheels? Groupset? Saddle?

Not workable because people move bits around in ways they don’t with cars.

You could probably do it with Tesco specials, which are probably most correlated with the folk who want this (and probably should be tagged in some way).

fasthaggis

Grant really needs to focus on more important and worthwhile projects,like garden bridges and tunnels under the Irish Sea.

nickc

It’s just click bait. Have a look at the mail online and there’s already 2900 comments.

itlab
    Free Member

I’m surprised he hasn’t suggested road tax for cyclists to get the daily mail readers really excited.

julians
    Free Member

will never happen for the various reasons mentioned above, best to ignore the noise and carry on with your day

igm

Mandatory cycling training for Daily Mail readers!!!

wow!!

(actually I just made that up)

monkeyboyjc

A: it won’t happen

B: it won’t happen

C: it’s distraction for daily mail readers away from the real current issues & gives them something to gloat and feel positive about.

BigJohn

“There’s a hard core of cyclists who don’t think the law applies to them”

Solution: make more laws for them to ignore.

rOcKeTdOg

Gammon vote grabbing exercise innit, see also any statements re immigration/Brexit/350 million for the NHS

jonnyboi

Now the Tory covid gravy train is ending they need to find new ways to waste taxpayer money with their mates. £20 billion for an unworkable cyclist database sir?

kayak23

Nobody does.

Yes,I know.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I must admit, I was wondering about these speeding cyclists I see everywhere, and the very real harm I see them doing everyday.

Sledge hammer for your nut, sir?

kerley
    Free Member

Where does the current law even stand with speeding on a bicycle?
    Presumably if the police somehow clocked me doing 25mph in a 20mph they could fine me but in my defence how would I know if I am doing 20 or 25 as I don’t have a speedo and I don’t need a speedo by law?

devash
    Free Member

More red meat for the Gammons.

tomhoward

IIRC you can’t speed on a bicycle on the road, as there is no limit.

anagallis_arvensis

What would be the chances of being caught speeding on a bike? I mean cars do it almost all the time and don’t seem to be caught very often. Would all 9 (I think) bikes in my house need individual licenses? Or one license for each person (3). Going to cost a lot, does my 11 year old son have to pay? So many questions and so little thought from this utter moron in government.

DrP

“Particularly where you’ve got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists”.

Pah..uphill with a headwind me and my kids can often peak at 36mph…. with EASE…..

Honestly…I’d actually like them to roll this out, adn realise it’s literally impossible to police/get going!!!

DrP

bruneep

Grant is right lock em up i say

mert
    Free Member

TBH, i wonder who they’ll blame once the whole thing falls flat on it’s face, again?

Leftie Lawyers?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.