Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Grannytrap on ben lomond is rideable
  • Northwind

I’ve decided arbitrarily taking one side or another doesn’t work so I’m going to fight both sides.

ditch_jockey

as an exercise in willy waving it really merits the response “it’s like a penis, only much smaller”

grumm
    Free Member

It is not acceptable to ride off the side of paths deliberately and if you had any understanding or respect you would know that instead of trying to defend the OP.

All the hard braking and turning was done on solid natural rock and the off path section was just used as an unintentional run out WITH NO SKIDDING!

So presumably now you are going to admit that you were wrong and take back all your ridiculous hysterical whining of the last few hours?

Oh wait…..

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I make no apologies for challenging bad practice The OP stated it was intended and that is what it looked like

may I remind you

Grum
    “Use common sense to avoid accidents—show care and consideration and make sure your speed doesn’t alarm or endanger others”

If you have gone off the path (many times) (mostly) accidentally surely you were going too fast for your abilities.

grum

Is it because you weren’t riding in proper control ON A PUBLIC PATH? HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!? Riding out of control is also more likely to cause skidding and further erosion – probably another breach of the access code eh?

Hoist by your own petard?

grumm
    Free Member

I was merely taking the piss out of your hypocrisy – if there’s no walkers to scare (which seeing as there was a guy below filming they knew there wasn’t) and no skidding then what’s the problem again?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are peoples’ menstrual cycles synchronizing or something?

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm after what someone above has said whose judgement I trust I’d like to take back the bit I said about mincing please. I’d probably fail miserably and break myself if I tried to ride what appears to be “the line”.

I still think you need to go back up and do it again, but this time down the steps, though. And get better photos to make it look as gnarlcore as it is.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Are peoples’ menstrual cycles synchronizing or something?

Synchronized cycling? That could be a new olympic “sport”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lots of Olympian hopefuls on here 😀

AlasdairMc

What about if you intentionally ride an eroded alternative to a main path knowing fine well about the existence of the marked path yet intentionally choosing to ignore it? Where does the code stand with that?

steeble
    Free Member

TJ

I make no apologies for challenging bad practice The OP stated it was intended and that is what it looked like

What exactly did I state was intended? To ride down the grannytrap, yes. To incite a bunch of wining self righteous moaners on both side of the ensuing “discussion”, no.

Sanny
    Free Member

Interested to know how the Trust would enforce a ban on the hill? Who would pay for it? In the same manner, how rigorously is no cycling on footpaths enforced down south. I wonder who here has never ridden a cheeky trail? Let’s assume there is a ban, no matter how unlikely. To enforce it would be a civil matter unless there was a substantial change in the law. How likely is a land owner going to go down the route of legal proceedings? Not very is my guess. For all the worry over bans, the ultimate outcome is pretty toothless. The point of exercising common sense and respect is well made but the fear of bans perhaps overeggs the pudding. Just relax and worry less. When you’re getting annoyed behind your keyboard, why not redirect your passion to more important things like challenging govt cuts, school closures, child poverty etc?. There is so much more to get worried about than erosion on a mountain. As one poster said, the mountain ain’t going anywhere!

j_me
    Free Member

If there was a ban I would respect it, and I’m sure the vast majority of responsible mountain bikers would.
    So what you’re saying is, you don’t care, and would would ride it anyway.
    Pretty offensive really.

Did you say you sat on an access forum ?

GW
    Free Member

no Sanny is simply talking sense, as he always does!

Sanny
    Free Member

j_me

Would I respect a ban on Ben Lomond? Frankly no and when there were no cycling signs many years ago, I happily chose to ignore them then also. And guess what, the signs are no more and the world didn’t end. Had those who walked on Kinder Scout all those years ago respected the land owners, we wouldn’t have the access rights we now have. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t respect other users nor do I go out of my way to antagonise them. What I do do though is consider the harm that I may be casuing to the trail and aim to mitigate against further damage. Of course, it’s not always easy in a country of much rain and mud! 😀

If you want to get vexed about folk riding bikes, start with the ejits who jump red lights and ride at night without lights. There the law exists to protect you and other road users from harm. Frankly, that should be a far greater concern and is worthy of discussion and not riding on paths where an arbitrary decision to class as footpath or bridleway has been made (taking the English example)

And yes, I did sit on an access forum. If you want to effect change and ensure that your voice is heard, always do it from within and get involved.

j_me
    Free Member

I have no further comment to make on the matter.

scott.cremin
    Free Member

Steeble, that is the most hilarious thing I have read.

I wish you had taken a video whilst doing a bit skid.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Grannytrap on ben lomond is rideable’ is closed to new replies.