Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Grand Designs new series next Weds
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

We get up to some “interesting” stuff at times but that lift of the roof was simply stupid with no scaffold/edge protection/fall arrest or basically **** all apart from a pink coat and a pair of trainers!

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if the HSE didn’t take a keen interest in that dropped lift no matter how short staffed they are. He may well be an amateur but the crane operator isn’t. Lift Plan anyone?

wrightyson
    Free Member

It can’t have any building regs. Surely two illegal staircases in the first shot.

bruneep

My thoughts as well.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I don’t get what Kevin is so gushing about, I don’t like it!

tor5
    Free Member

50% over budget… standard Grand Designs after all then.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Here you go kids, here’s your new bedroom, careful when you brush against the walls or your bed tho, you might get a splinter!

edhornby

what was the point of smashing all the slates?? that was never explained and just looked like a load of vandalism

andyl
    Free Member

Missed the middle bit as on the phone.

Saw the piece getting dropped and then a few minutes later they were moving panels into place by crane and not wearing safety shoes.

Why have they got OSB on show downstairs? Doesnt it out gas?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well I thought it was great project. Innovative, artistic and affordable.

muddyground
    Free Member

The top half looked great, if a little dubious safety wise, but hey! that’s a bit of fun. The downstairs looked like they’d forgotten about it and it was a bit of an afterthought. It was also beyond tiny – what happens when those children grow a few inches?

Didn’t get how he went from never having built anything, and owning no tools, to producing that interior?

And those slates; what was that about? Two guys come over from America or wherever to pointlessly smash stuff up.

I also didn’t get the money. Struck me that two professionals earning good money should have had more than £80k to splash.

Overall thought it was one of the better GD’s and I’d like to see more of this guys stuff.

mos

Did anyone notice the joiners name?
    Dick Mashiter!

LoCo
    Free Member

Good project that one, still bemused by the 2 bedrooms so the children have to share.
    Really liked the selfsupporting upper structure, food for though for our next place if it needs extending 😉

grahamg
    Free Member

I also didn’t get the money. Struck me that two professionals earning good money should have had more than £80k to splash.

I thought they were doing it out of savings, the usual rubbish talk of budget of £XXX’000 whilst completely failing to mention the enourmous cost of the land/building for their site.

LoCo
    Free Member

yeah how much did the cottage cost or was it the parents annex in the first place, still wouldn’t have been silly expensive for a tiny bungalow in N.Cornwall. total cost 250K ish maybe

Harry_the_Spider

Perhaps when the kids are older they’ll move the master bedroom up to the mezzanine.

I liked the space and the black weatherboarding. I think that Kev was maybe overplaying the whole “danger” aspect of it in the voice over. Perhaps that was put in after the unfortunate incident with the dropped panel.

Next week looks bonkers. The teaser showed some sort of wooden framed Millennium Falcon like structure complete with space port.

jfletch
    Free Member

Was their parents bungalow and a proper shitty little thing at that. Even if they paid markets rates it can’t have cost much.

It was a lovely house although I coulnd’t live with all that wood and the crappy downstairs. But I also noticed that there is no way they could have got building regs approval.

So what is the consequence of not having building regs? Condemded so they can’t live it in? Fine to live in but not able to sell it? Nothing?

johndoh
    Free Member

Most of my thoughts have been covered. I liked some of it but the girls’ bedroom looked tragically unfriendly. And there was simply way too much of that wood – it looked like an outsized sauna especially with the bench seating.

And as said above, two professionals with that tiny budget – seemed very odd.

But next weeks will take is into the absurd for budget – £1.5M+ ?

grahamg
    Free Member

If it was the parent’s ‘outbuilding’ i.e. free, then they were funding it out of savings in order to be mortgage free I guess – that makes plenty of vs. borrowing a metric sh1Ttonne of money for a vanity project.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think they said that they bought it (£40k rings a bell) after the parents had originally offered it as a temporary home whilst they sorted themselves out.

LoCo
    Free Member

180k for that house is a bargin then 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

It is, but if they can’t sell it (cos of building regs) then it is still only worth £40k surely?

wrightyson
    Free Member

You don’t need building regs to sell it. There are enough vw transporter drivers in that there London who’d pay cash for their own slice of cornish surfer wannabe ness.

superfli
    Free Member

No building regs would mean no way to get mortgage. Not sure about house insurance either. Still assuming they dont plan to sell it and they bought it out of their selling of another house then they are mortgage free and will be living very comfortably. Assuming nothing falls down or catches fire that is!

muddy@rseguy

just trying to work out why some of you reckon they fall foul of building regs.

The only thing I can see is no bannister on the main staircase (v. easy to sort out). The ladder to the mezzanine may be an issue if thats counted as a separate room but not sure it would be. Again easy to fix with a “proper” staircase and only an issue if you need a mortgage…they didnt use a mortgage to finance the build. Im not an expert but I guess house insurance is more concerned with whether its structurally sound, house is also a rebuild not a new build so that might get round a few issues too.

actually quite nice to see a house on Grand Designs done for only 120k as opposed to usual barmy stockbrokers spending a couple of million on an underground bunker in Putney that includes the mandatory equine jacuzzi and indoor 5 a side football room in a art-deco/nihilist glam rock fusion style.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Take a 100 mm sphere and play with it. That’s what you’ve got to achieve on all those stairs. He clearly had some engineered design in the ring beam as he totally underestimated his steel.

boxelder

Tonights 😯

16 grand for a carbon hammock bath………inside 4 shipping containers.

Chapeau for the effort

scandalous
    Free Member

Love the container idea!!

ads678

This ones gonna be good.

Pook

Mildly annoying bloke? Check.
    Crap sounding idea? Check
    Hope that he fails? Check
    Edit:
    Hope his carbon fibre bath breaks the container the first time he fills it? Check

teasel
    Free Member

So much hate you had to write it twice, eh.

I think you’re lying about the EDIT, though…

boxelder

It‘‘s coming together……

ads678

I like it. Now lets see the bath.

Pook

Pff…. Typed once. Copied and pasted once. Phone/stw did the formatting

matt_outandabout

I quite like it. Not for me, but better than so many houses out there by a long, long way.

stumpy01

Looks great.

Don’t like the bath though.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I was thinking this is ‘my big fat gypsy wedding’ mash-up with ‘grand designs’….my big fat messed up house.
    Now its finished…there are a few little details that seem OTT, too quirky, for me that is, but generally I applaud. Good job.

CountZero

scandalous – Member
    Love the container idea!!

Not new, there are architects/companies already doing these. I’ve not seen it yet, what sort of containers did he use?
    2006 for the first one, according to Wiki.

teasel
    Free Member

Yup, interesting build; very futuristic. To my surprise it sits well with the surrounding landscape.

Can’t help but see the site office thing from some angles, though…

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I think it’s fantastic. Fits brilliantly in the site, quick build and cheap. Winner all round

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs new series next Weds’ is closed to new replies.