Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Last night's Grand Designs…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Spectacular house but I’m not sure that I would have gone ahead with a £400,000 project if the wife was dead set against it.

ampthill

Yes makes a cheeky bike up grade seem quite miner

Not sure if seen an end with one owner quite so glum

zippykona

Shame about their new view.

ampthill

Shame about their new view

I’d have had to make the bed room into a living area

bikebob

Characterful guy, obviously passionate about it and worked hard for the money. I though it was great, but a shame his misses was so dismissive about such a stunning design and build. Each to their own, hopefully she will warm to it.

richmars

Yes, lovely couple (but slightly mad) and lovely house. I like the ‘I need a new workshop, so I’ll build a new house’

the-muffin-man

‘I need a new workshop, so I’ll build a new house’

A lot of new bike builds start in a similar way… “Hmm, I have a spare headset, what shall I do with it?”

…before you know it 2k has been spent on shiny bits you didn’t need!

binners

A refreshing change from the usual ego-fuelled chequebook waving. Stunning house! And I don’t think he’ll ever be accused of being pussy whipped! I have taken your opinion into consideration, then ignored it, and done what I want anyway! 😀

I’d have liked to have seen the price for one of the identi-boxes they’d built to spoil his view. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were going for more than his amazing build coat

ebygomm
    Free Member

Too ‘visitor centre’ for me

martinhutch

I liked it. Lovely couple, too, not like some of the usual mob.

Roof needed a bit of weeding, though.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m glad I recorded it while watching it as next time the wife bitches about bike purchases I’ll make her watch it and tell her I need a new man-cave too!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

A lot of new bike builds start in a similar way… “Hmm, I have a spare headset, what shall I do with it?”

There is a lot of truth in that !

montarius
    Free Member

Agreed, wouldn’t want to live there as felt like a commercial building.

ransos
    Free Member

I can’t think of any visitor centres that look like it?

montarius
    Free Member

Guess you need to visit more places.

johndoh
    Free Member

You have to admire her honesty. I thought they were a lovely refreshing couple and I am sure that attitude is just part of their dynamic as a couple.

mos

Stupendously disrespectful to go ahead with such a large project considering that the person you love the most is dead against it. Perhaps, as he’s a GP & most likely the main breadwinner, he just says like it or lump it. Plus, the quality of the cladding installation was pretty poor & if any of my lads did that then they would be ripping it off & starting again.

Other than that it was nice though & i loved the timber engineering aspect.

johndoh
    Free Member

As I said above, I suspect that is their dynamic and I don’t think he was necessarily being disrespectful.

maxtorque

Met him a few times, as he used to be a GP at the same Practice as my bestest mates other half. Seems like a pretty decent chap, and he’s really into his flying, keeps his planes at Turweston Aerodrome 😉

jp-t853

I think she enjoyed pretending that she didn’t like it so that she had something amusing to talk about.

They got that great house for the same price as their old one.
    They have the same amount of savings pretty much
    They have a more valuable house than before

He has made them more asset rich

edhornby

They have a more valuable house than before

not necessarily, lots of other houses being built right next door, very little garden (and less for the house they are flogging), although a ‘grand design’ it’s not to everyone’s taste (only 50% of the owners like it!)

ransos
    Free Member

If you have some suggestions…

TheSanityAssassin

If you have some suggestions…

How about that nice house that was on Grand Designs last night?

ransos
    Free Member

How about that nice house that was on Grand Designs last night?

Lovely, wasn’t it? I’m still waiting to hear about the visitor centre it looks like.

scuttler

Lovely, wasn’t it? I’m still waiting to hear about the visitor centre it looks like.

Bloody tons of ’em. Wood, stone, grass on roof, gentle curves. Yeah some of these are visualisations but I didn’t make them up and I can’t be arsed spending all day searching Google images (this is three mins worth). You sound like you’re looking for a fight though, so don’t bother posting a response (cos you’re wrong ;-))

ransos
    Free Member

You sound like you’re looking for a fight though, so don’t bother posting a response (cos you’re wrong ;-))

Well gosh, that’s me told. And you managed to find pictures of buildings with roofs, windows and walls – well done you!

johndoh
    Free Member

Scuttler winz

dragon
    Free Member

I thought it was dull, nothing exciting about it at all. The office I work in has that wood cladding style, so I agree with the comments above about it feeling like a commercial building.

Harry_the_Spider

I knew it reminded me of something!

Edale Visitors Centre

Whatever, I still liked it.

CountZero

The reason there’s a similarity between many of those buildings is the criteria behind them, methods of construction, Eco-friendliness, etc. it’s entirely possible the owner had seen various buildings that caught his fancy and decided he wanted a house built just like it.
    I don’t see a problem with it, it’s still a hell of a lot more individual than most of the “executive” style houses all over the country which are just much more expensive versions of the identikit boxes that blighted the view from the round house.

Pook

Mildly annoying bloke? Check.
    Crap sounding idea? Check
    Hope that he fails? Check

Edit:

Hope his carbon fibre bath breaks the container the first time he fills it? Check

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Did the wife get pregnant halfway through? That usually happens on grand designs…

andyl
    Free Member

I really like that. But I think he ruined the whole ethos with the bath. >10% of the cost of the build was a bathtub. I could have made him one for a fraction of that.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Living in a caravan onsite with the onset of winter looming, and all those tradesmen around, things are bound to happen, dave_rudabar…

muddyground
    Free Member

Was it me, or was it just four shipping containers clad in steel and filled with insulation? Looked like a nice enough place, but he could have saved a ton, both in terms of money and steel, by arranging them as, well, shipping containers and making use of their designed in strength. Remove the silly bath, and you have a monolithic, architect designed, structure for £90k.

LoCo
    Free Member

Loved that, would have left the bath in raw carbon (well wouldn’t have spunked 16K 😮 on a bath in first place) everything else was brilliant.

andyl
    Free Member

Couldnt find the other GD thread.

Already shaking my head. £65k for a couple of feet on a tight budget.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Could a burglar use a blow torch to ‘melt’ there way in?

andyl
    Free Member

well the £65k seems nothing now they have completely blown the budget..

Should have used containers.

LoCo
    Free Member

1 million quid 😯 Some interesting features, but overall a bit Meh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Last night's Grand Designs…’ is closed to new replies.