Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Graded List of Peak District Descents.
  • continuity
    Free Member

Inspired by @joem ‘s excellent thread Lakes Pass Graded List, and as @thegeneralist and I rode down the second thing today since we became mates that I took a solid look at and decided was beyond my abilities (the first being the top 150m of Grizedale Pike), I propose a spreadsheet of graded Peak District Descents. Hopefully, like the Lakes one, this can be something people come back to when they’re looking for new rides.

Graded List of Peak District Descents

As it’s my party, I’m arbitrarily (I think helpfully) deciding the difficulty / spiciness (out of 5 chillies) is to align with the same scale on the Lakes list. So Styhead Pass to Seathwaite is benchmark 3. Wharnscale is benchmark 4.

Like a climbing guide – I’m letting you grade the quality: 0, 1, 2 or 3 stars. Not everything should get a star at all – maybe only the top 10 routes in the area.

I’ve put in three descents to get you started: Cut Gate N (1/5, 2 stars), Cave Dale (2/5, 1 star), Parkin Clough (4/5, 1 star).

Have at it. Don’t blame me if you break your neck going down Parkin Clough.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The problem is that there so few hard legal descents in the Peak. Cavedale is about the hardest and you gave it a bloody 2!

dazzydw
    Free Member

The ones that come to mind are
    The Beast, Potato Alley and Lockerbrook
    but as above – if you’ve graded Cavedale as a 2/5 i think you’re looking at Redbull Hardline to get to 5/5

crazy-legs

Cavedale is about the hardest and you gave it a bloody 2!

This ^^ !!

Your grading scale needs some work.
    Lets start with reclassifying Cavedale as a 4 or 5 and work back from there.

julians
    Free Member

Lets start with reclassifying Cavedale as a 4 or 5 and work back from there.

Really..

Cavedales not a 4 or 5,I’d give it a 3 though

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It depends if we’re baselining the grade against the Peak or the Lakes

continuity
    Free Member

Firstly, the spreadsheet is open to edit by all and I haven’t locked the grades – so it can be vote by consensus.

That said – the point of grades is that they should let someone know if they can get do something without getting hurt / they’re going to enjoy it.

Therefore it’s important that they’re (as close as can be) the same everywhere. No point calling something an E3 in your area if it’s actually a VS – then the poor climber goes to Northumberland and breaks their legs!

Cave Dale easier than Styhead to Stockley Bridge, shorter, and there’s no massive cliff to fall off. That gets 3. The Nan Bield Pass gets 3 (!).

If it’s 5/5, where is Parkin Clough then?

continuity
    Free Member

Other thoughts

Hagg Farm 1-2, 1 star
    Cut Gate S 1, 1 star, or 2 if you take the rocky hard line at the end (would be 3 but it’s v short)
    Les Arcs 1, 2 stars (1 star if you accidentally go right :-))

Added a load more for you to grade

bails

Jacob’s ladder?

seriousrikk

Sorry, can’t edit as it wants me to sign into a Google account.

Stanage Plantation
    Devils Elbow
    Piper House
    The Beast
    Jaggers Clough
    Hollins cross has three descents

sharkattack

Could you have a column with a link to a map pin or a gpx? For people like me who have no idea where most of them are.

twonks

Interesting concept and great to have something like this but, as is it is too subjective to an individuals opinion.

Could work better as a form that generates averages based on a questionnaire or poll. I believe google forms would allow this.

continuity
    Free Member

@twonks if you’re an expert please go ahead. Until then I’m happy for people to effectively vote in the thread and take the consensus.

@seriousrikk

I can’t see a way around that. Google stopped allowing editing things without an account a few years ago. I’ll add them but only if you give me a difficulty and a quality mate – I can’t grade what I haven’t ridden.

colournoise

I agree that the grading is problematic.

If this is for anyone to access, then surely a 1 should be comfortably rideable by anyone with a suitable bike, a 5 is pro level stuff, and a 3 comfortable for anyone with reasonable MTB experience of ‘natural’ trails?

You could even colour code them…

1 Green
    2 Blue
    3 Red
    4 Black
    5 Blacker Than Black (Double Black)

Less facetiously, maybe the issue is that just 5 levels doesn’t allow enough differentiation and subtlety?

docrobster
    Free Member

I like the idea of this but agree it’s hard to give a meaningful rating for difficulty.
    What is helpful though is just putting things in order of difficulty- progression I suppose. Don’t try Parkin clough until you’ve mastered cave dale… (I’ve never attempted the former but as bikes have got more capable the latter has definitely become no more than a three)

How about a column of injuries sustained- broken wrist on devils elbow, wrecked knee on stanage plantation etc- will help with risk assessments?!

continuity
    Free Member

@colournoise you could have fifteen levels of grading, but the idea here isn’t to categorically define the difficulty of Cave Dale in some abstract way, but to give a rough impression of how hard something is compared to other things people might have done.

Bike parks use blue, red, black and nobody has an issue. How does 5 levels offer less information?

I was hoping for more contribution and less arguing over the fidelity of grading systems but I should have learnt my lesson from climbing forums.

colournoise

but to give a rough impression of how hard something is compared to other things people might have done.

Then maybe docrobster’s idea of just an ordered list hardest to easiest is the way to go?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Bin done years ago in web page format with pictures and videos.

Monkeyspoon

There’s also a three part video someone did with most, not all the main legit descents.

Peak District Descents

The thing is some of the best trails/tracks in the Peak are barely tolerated and it’s likely to upset people if you draw even more attention to some of them!

IHN

You’re missing the steps down to the canal in Furness Vale. Triple Black++

BadlyWiredDog

You’re missing the steps down to the canal in Furness Vale. Triple Black++

With respect dude, I’m not sure you should be drawing attention to descents of that difficulty on here, just saying.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The problem is that there just aren’t many legal hard descents in the Peak, and with it being close to millions of people, putting the cheeky in is bad.

But if you insist then.

That steep one in the south peak that DCC closed. The bastards
    The other steep one in the south peak that DCC closed. The bastards.
    Doctors Gate
    Cavedale
    Stanage Plantation
    The Beast
    Cut Gate South
    Jacobs Ladder
    Potato Alley
    Devil’s Elbow
    Toboggan Run
    Backtor Farm
    Derwent Edge
    Hollins to Greenlands
    Hagg Farm
    Coldwell Clough
    WLT to Cutthroat bridge
    Cut Gate north
    Screaming Mile

Chapel Gate
    Jacobs easy side
    Roych East
    Roych west
    Descent to Rowarth
    Middle Moor north
    Lantern Pike
    Broad Clough
    Jaggers
    Hollins east
    Roman Road
    Aston
    Stanage causeway ( really scraping the barrel here)
    Pindale
    Middle Moor south

The fact that about a third of the ones above are in fact classic ascents shows how dull the legal trails are in the Peak.

< Edited to say that I’m clearly on shakey ground with my last point as Cut Gate north is indeed a fabulous descent despite also being an uber classic ascent>

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.