Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • GPS mapping for Garmin ETrex Vista HCX; any suggestions?
  • reynard
    Free Member

Garmin Topo any use, or GB discoverer, or is there something else out there that covers the whole UK and is a good enough to plot up routes on a PC with (ie sufficiently detailed, with marshes and small streams etc marked). Ideally something that's relatively plug and play and doesn't require some obscure rigmarole of conversion.
    Peoples experiences of a good useable and sufficiently detailed gps map would be much appreciated.
    I have seen a couple of people on here express disapppontment over Garmin topo maps;so I'm canvassing opinions on what's good and what's not before buying.
    There may be something online that would meet my requirements, but although 'Bikehike' does to some extent, it's also lacks a bit in terms of OS map detail.
    thanks.

reynard
    Free Member

Any GPS navigators online yet?

allthegear
    Free Member

By "bikehike", I assume you mean http://www.bikehike.co.uk? It has 1:50000 OS maps – how detailed do you want?

1:25000 maps are available on http://www.bing.com/maps/ these days, although I have yet to see anyone use them in a webapp that allows you to plot a course on.

I have a 705 and the Garmin Topo Map for GB. It's okay for getting a general idea of your situation, like where a river is or whatever, but it's nowhere near as good as an OS map, which I tend to fall back to paper for (or, my iPhone…)

Rachel

uplink
    Free Member

Discoverer is pretty good – if it'll work on Vista HCX

The version for the Northern half on the country is all over the torrent sites if you wanted to try it first – I don't think there's an official demo

alexonabike

If you havent got this loaded already, these maps are really worthwhile… and free.
    UKmaps

Notter
    Free Member

This is what you want, 25k maps, online and allows route plotting.

Where's the Path?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘GPS mapping for Garmin ETrex Vista HCX; any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.