• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by will.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • GPS for Strava without needing to recharge.
  • shortcut

OK so I am doing a trip later in the year and want to log it on Strava.

I won’t have reliable recharging so using the phone or a rechargeable garmin is not ideal/reliable.

What can I buy that will run in disposable batteries and store say 40 hours of ride tracking. I don’t need it for Navigation just tracking, maybe pace and distance display will be good.

I had thought about either a basic Garmin Dakota or Etrex.

What would work well?

scotroutes

A second hand Garmin Geko or similar if you want a display.
    A GPS logger if you don’t care.

richpips
    Free Member

I had thought about either a basic Garmin Dakota or Etrex.

Yep either will do. They’ll store weeks of rides, not hours.

Lithium batteries are best. 2 sets will easily cover 40 hours.

Kieran

I would recommend a normal Edge series if your cycling and want the display, they are far better than the etrex series (I have both)

Personally I would use something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/dp/B00HCBDV10/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419779881&sr=1-7&keywords=aa+usb

to keep it charged using standard batteries

shortcut

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on data loggers? Ie which one are good?

nuke

Ive an etrex and an igotu and both would do the job but each has its advantages and disadvantages:

Etrex because you could take spare aa batteries with you and given its got a screen, have the added bonus of seeing battery level and have mapping backup (if i don’t need mapping i just put my etrex in my backpack and itll log my route and create a gpx). Bulkier and heavier tban igotu though

Igotu has great battery life… happily does 12+ rides like SDW on one charge plus light, small & quick to charge but not so obvious when battery is running down and usb charger. However if you took a one of those usb chargers you could charge it on your trip. I have this one… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005QI1A8C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bM5Rub19H4EX4

will
    Free Member

Kieran – Member
    I would recommend a normal Edge series if your cycling and want the display, they are far better than the etrex series (I have both)

Personally I would use something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/dp/B00HCBDV10/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419779881&sr=1-7&keywords=aa+usb

to keep it charged using standard batteries

I used something similar to this, or at least tried.

Every time I plugged into my Garmin Edge 500 when the Garmin was on and recording the Garmin would shut down and delete the ride. No idea if there is a way around this?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘GPS for Strava without needing to recharge.’ is closed to new replies.